Gluten Free on Holland

lukydog

We have never sailed on Holland before but are considering it for an Alaskan cruise. My husband has Celiac Disease and must eat gluten free. Carnival handles this really well. Would love to hear your experiences for being gluten free on Holland! Thanks!

We have never sailed on Holland before but are considering it for an Alaskan cruise. My husband has Celiac Disease and must eat gluten free. Carnival handles this really well. Would love to hear your experiences for being gluten free on Holland! Thanks!

Just off Nieuw Amsterdam and in the Lido signs saying gluten free please ask. I did have gluten free bread and Quinua. Also in MDR you can ask your server and they will be able to request a gluten free dinner. One family next to us requested a dinner. Now on the main dinner menu I recalled many veggie dinners also.

Definitely contact Ship Services. There is a form that one can fill out to ensure that they have enough of the desired GF items. It has to be returned more than 30 days prior to sailing.

They will note that your husband has to have a GF diet and the Dining Room Manager will speak to him on the first evening of the cruise to ensure he has what he needs.

You may have to eat most meals in the MDR but, as previously posted, you can get some GF items on the Lido. But since he is Celiac, there could be hidden gluten in many dishes that could be problematic for your husband. I also understand from other posts/threads, that one can get a GF bun at the Dive In upon request.

Our experience with gluten free on HAL - they told us to have the forms in

60 days prior to the cruise but imagine 30 should do it. Bread - was not good, pancakes and waffles were excellent - the dining room steward would give us the next day's menu after dinner - we had to fill out our choices and turn it in to the dining room before 10 a.m. the next day.

It was not always possible to get certain items gluten free because of cross

contamination but we did pretty well just the same - if I was in doubt about a dish I would just order baked potato and steamed vegetables.

Desserts were a problem and we usually ended up with a hot fudge sundae or a fruit plate.

Because of some digestive issues we suspected that some filler was added to

some of the food and not sure what it was but could be cellulose or something

like that. It is too bad that they don't bring a more palatable bread onboard and some Udi's cookies would be great for a snack. and some gluten free crackers would be nice.

Still, they do handle it as well as they can given the number of people to be fed and other diets to cater to. It doesn't stop us from cruising.

One good outcome is that we usually lose a few pounds during a cruise - no matter how long it is!