Asia, August and rain

cantwaitt

We are tentatively planning to take a 20-day (back-to-back) Asia cruise in mid-August, preceded by 5 days in Hong Kong. However, it looks like this is the rainy season, with some places like HK getting 14 or so inches of rain per month in August.

Does anyone have experience being in Asia during this time period? Should I worry.

If we don't go we figure we could go in November or December when it rarely rains as early as 2017.

Any thoughts?

We are tentatively planning to take a 20-day (back-to-back) Asia cruise in mid-August, preceded by 5 days in Hong Kong. However, it looks like this is the rainy season, with some places like HK getting 14 or so inches of rain per month in August.

Does anyone have experience being in Asia during this time period? Should I worry.

If we don't go we figure we could go in November or December when it rarely rains as early as 2017.

Any thoughts?

Well, Asia is a big place and you don't share where you're going other than Hong Kong. In August, HK is hot, humid and definitely rainy. Not the rainiest month of the year, but it averages 15 days of rain and about 12 inches (which comes out to 0.8 inches per rainy day). HOWEVER, do note that often times the rain comes down very heavy for shorter periods, rather than being rainy throughout the entire day. But, that can make the humidity even worse. It's not a pleasant place to be in the summer in my experience.

Any thoughts?

I just (March) returned from an Asia cruise and have also done a land tour in October...had great weather..I would opt for November if these are your only choices.

Thanks. I am tentatively booked on the Royal Caribbean Cruise that goes to the following, beginning August 16:

Taiwan

Brunei

Philippines

Malaysia

Singapore

Cambodia

Thailand

Vietnam

Ends September 5,

Reason I say November is beginning the fall of 2017 we will have a much more flexible schedule. We could go November, December or January beginning then.

Thanks for the two responses so far.

Unless you are from South Florida, Asia in the summer is MISERABLE. The humidity is VERY, VERY high. You will feel like you need a shower every 1/2 hour.

I have been in Asia for business almost every month of the year. Change your plans to the fall or winter. Every place you are going will be much nicer in the fall or winter than in August.

Just a little info: Those 7-10 day cruises on RCCL are geared for the Chinese/Asian market. So language will be different, food will be different and you will see a difference in onboard activities. I can't imagine trying to play trivia with a large contingent of Chinese.

I still want to know how RCCL is handling the smoking situation. In a large part of Asia, particularly China, a majority of men smoke. Anyone know that has actually been on one of the shorter Asian based cruises designed for the Chinese market???

Edited by greatam

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I am figuring. We have a very good deal on a 20-day cruise, but I guess that's why the price is so low.

Thanks. Nothing like traveling all the way from the US and have torrential rain half the day of half the days and potentially have a port of call washed out.

Just wanted to make sure we are not over reacting.

We'll wait the 26 or 27 months and hopefully can go when it is very nice.

Thanks SadieN

Yes, I heard the humidity is unbearable and my wife and I like to walk all day.

Although 14-16 inches of rain per month is not inconsequential either.

We have decided to hold off and not do the August cruise. I guess there is a reason no other cruise line does Asia cruises in the summer.