Drink Package Questions (Several Threads Merged)

photomikey

Catherine after you return, please post about your experiences.

IMHO and experience you have made a wonderful choice for a worry free sailing.

EW

It's our first time with Celebrity we mainly travel with Cunard. Will be interesting to see the difference between the two companies.

Will post my thoughts when we get back, not going until June.

Catherine

About the post of Team Alpha: When we booked the Classic Pkg. it said: "beers up to $6". So, in viewing the menu that you posted.....there weren't any!! Does every ship have a different menu??? Surely they have to honor the price on the package that was purchased.

I think it was beers to $7 on the Classic package. To be honest, I didn't take too much notice because we were on the premium package and all were included. I did however talk to other passengers who were on classic and Corona was their beer of choice and it was included in the classic package.

Edited by Team Alpha

It's our first time with Celebrity we mainly travel with Cunard. Will be interesting to see the difference between the two companies.

Will post my thoughts when we get back, not going until June.

Catherine

I've been on two Cunard sailings and one Celebrity. The experiences are worlds apart!

About the post of Team Alpha: When we booked the Classic Pkg. it said: "beers up to $6". So, in viewing the menu that you posted.....there weren't any!! Does every ship have a different menu??? Surely they have to honor the price on the package that was purchased.

from memory, most beers were priced over $6

draft ales , which I prefer were $6.50 so not allowed, I only sore one person have a draft beer in the gastrobar on equinox.

beers included were the US beers, Bub, Bud lite, millar, millar lite

plus Heineken in 330ml bottles

and a weissbier franziskaner which I liked but I drank them dry half way through :-(

this beer is a premium so don't know how that got on the package (ssshh don't tell anyone)

from memory, most beers were priced over $6

draft ales , which I prefer were $6.50 so not allowed, I only sore one person have a draft beer in the gastrobar on equinox.

beers included were the US beers, Bub, Bud lite, millar, millar lite

plus Heineken in 330ml bottles

and a weissbier franziskaner which I liked but I drank them dry half way through :-(

this beer is a premium so don't know how that got on the package (ssshh don't tell anyone)

I find it interesting that X varies the price max by drink type on the Classic package (up to $6 for beer, $8 for mixed drinks and $9 for wine) - but just sets a simple cap ($13) for all drink varieties on the premium.

Throughout your cruise, choose from
beers up to $6 per serving
, spirits, cocktails, liqueurs and frozen drinksup to $8 per serving, and wine-by-the-glass up to $9 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this
Classic Package,
you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

Enjoy our entire selection of fine
craft beers, top-shelf spirits, premium cocktails and wines-by-the-glass up to $13 per serving
. Indulge in unique craft cocktails, extra-large martinis, even liquid nitrogen-chilled cocktails from the Molecular Bar. Plus, with purchase of this
Premium Package
, you can enjoy a 20% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

Do you think it just a means to steer people to the Premium package - or is the profit margin for beer, alcohol and wine the contributing factor. (Of course, if that is it - then why not also have 3 levels for premium...)

Is the Bahamas Mama still included on the classic package? How about Piña Coladas?

Not the drink, but the liquor it's made with.

All good as long as you can get by with liquor on the classic package.

I assumed their margins are less on the beers otherwise not beers up to $8

That would then include some of the better European brands,

I did think of upgrading to premium (just for the beers) but found myself experimenting with lots of different cocktails and spirits that I would not otherwise drink.

there was plenty of variety for me.

We have the Select package next time on Anthem of the seas so may upgrade to premium (with our OBC) as that only includes beers and wines upto $8

for our up coming equinox cruise will probably stay with the classic again.

(its port intensive anyways)

Hi Pushka, Can you expand on your comments. Is it in a good way or a bad way?

Catherine

I travelled on Cunard on my own for 23 nights. I loved it but knew my partner wouldn't as it just isn't his style. The continual dressing up for dinner etc. The lectures during sea days etc. Training is his work so he wouldn't want more of the same. He likes fresh air, a good gym, great pool and casual style.

He (and I) loved the Equinox. The Bev package was excellent - not because of quantity of alcohol but the choice it gave without worry of the cost. The cabins are nicer on Celebrity. Its just a "cleaner" look.

I love both Cunard and Celebrity. But will be returning to Cunard on my own - I need to do a TA NYC to Southhampton. He wants to fly.

We got the go123 classic for our December cruise. I have been debating about whether to upgrade to premium. After reading this thread we are going to upgrade tomorrow. Just having the option to try many different things makes it worth it. With the classic package we will stick to what we know. With the premium package we would have more freedom to try new things without having the cost nagging us. We have been burned by not paying attention to the on board account and finding out at the end of the cruise that we spent $1000.00. So, just for the piece of mind and more enjoyable ship experience, we are going for the premium package.

We got the go123 classic for our December cruise. I have been debating about whether to upgrade to premium. After reading this thread we are going to upgrade tomorrow. Just having the option to try many different things makes it worth it. With the classic package we will stick to what we know. With the premium package we would have more freedom to try new things without having the cost nagging us. We have been burned by not paying attention to the on board account and finding out at the end of the cruise that we spent $1000.00. So, just for the piece of mind and more enjoyable ship experience, we are going for the premium package.

Thats a great point about being free to try new drinks. That is what we did with some wonderful wines by the glass that we would not buy a bottle at home to try.

I travelled on Cunard on my own for 23 nights. I loved it but knew my partner wouldn't as it just isn't his style. The continual dressing up for dinner etc. The lectures during sea days etc. Training is his work so he wouldn't want more of the same. He likes fresh air, a good gym, great pool and casual style.

He (and I) loved the Equinox. The Bev package was excellent - not because of quantity of alcohol but the choice it gave without worry of the cost. The cabins are nicer on Celebrity. Its just a "cleaner" look.

I love both Cunard and Celebrity. But will be returning to Cunard on my own - I need to do a TA NYC to Southhampton. He wants to fly.

Hi Pushka, We have done a TA from Southampton to NYC and a B2B from Southampton. There is something special about a TA, I love all those sea days. Organising what to do each day when the news letter arrives the night before. I love the lectures, also the guest performers during the day. Not forgetting afternoon tea.

I think because you know you have a full day to do what ever you want. No ports of call to interfere with enjoying QM2. We just get into a nice routine making the most of what's on offer. I love it.

Catherine

Hello Catherine. We met on the QM2 a few years ago so hopefully you will remember us. We agree with your observations regarding the Cunard line so it will be interesting to hear your opinion of Celebrity when you return. We too have booked our first cruise with the Celebrity line (an Eastern Med cruise in May of this year) because the itinerary suited us perfectly this year.

We have not purchased the drinks package as the cruise is port intensive so couldn't justify having time to drink that much :)

Next year we will probably consider another QM2 crossing and spend time in the New Forest. We were there in Sept of last year and it, and the weather, was glorious.

Hope you both have a wonderful cruise.

Shirley and Michael

Hello Catherine. We met on the QM2 a few years ago so hopefully you will remember us. We agree with your observations regarding the Cunard line so it will be interesting to hear your opinion of Celebrity when you return. We too have booked our first cruise with the Celebrity line (an Eastern Med cruise in May of this year) because the itinerary suited us perfectly this year.

We have not purchased the drinks package as the cruise is port intensive so couldn't justify having time to drink that much :)

Next year we will probably consider another QM2 crossing and spend time in the New Forest. We were there in Sept of last year and it, and the weather, was glorious.

Hope you both have a wonderful cruise.

Shirley and Michael

Hi Shirley and Michael, As soon as I saw your post I knew it was you. I remember that cruise well. It was nice meeting you both. Do you remember the vodka tasting event, tony enjoyed that.

It's nice to see you still cruise with Cunard. We have tried all three Queens and loved them all. Thought we would try a different cruise line. Celebrity was recommended to us. We've booked an Aqua Class cabin, have been read lots of good reviews about Blu.

Really looking forward to cruising again. I never get tired of it. Hope you enjoy your forthcoming cruise.

Catherine and Tony

Thanks for the good wishes Catherine. I think you have chosen the Baltics cruise to Russia? We went on similar itinerary in 2011 on the QE2 where we met a great group of people to share a two day private tour in St. Petersburg. We used Alla Tours who were splendid and we would certainly recommend them again.

Tell Tony we remember the Vodka tasting too but now I've changed to a nightly G&T. :)

Shirley and Michael

Thanks for the good wishes Catherine. I think you have chosen the Baltics cruise to Russia? We went on similar itinerary in 2011 on the QE2 where we met a great group of people to share a two day private tour in St. Petersburg. We used Alla Tours who were splendid and we would certainly recommend them again.

Tell Tony we remember the Vodka tasting too but now I've changed to a nightly G&T. :)

Shirley and Michael

Thanks for the tip Shirley, some of our roll call have booked Alla Tours. I wanted to visit Moscow because we night get that way again. Have booked with Celebrity. Have read some good remarks about it. Should be an experience looking forward to it.

Catherine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
From Celebrity:

Hi all,

I wanted to share some news that we just received regarding our beverage packages.

Beginning on April 6, 2015 for all sailings beginning on or after that date, we will be raising most of our beverage package prices onboard. *From April 6, 2016 - April 19, 2015, our current prices will remain pre-cruise, thereby giving a "pre-cruise pricing advantage." *As of April 20, 2015, however, the pre-cruise prices will be raised to match the onboard prices.

The following changes will be:

Soda Package $8.00 --> $9.00

Premium Water Package $14.00 --> $16.00

Classic N/A Beverage Package $16.00 --> $18.00

Premium N/A Beverage Package $20.00 --> $22.00

Classic Beverage Package $49.00 --> $55.00

Premium Beverage Package $59.00 --> $65.00

Please note that the same beverages will still be available under each package, and that no drinks will be removed from any of these packages. The prices also do not include the 18% gratuity. Lastly, the wine package pricing will not be changing.

My Commentary:

The above is information posted by Celebrity on another CC Celebrity thread called "Beverage Package Pricing Increase". If you are thinking of upgrading, please check out this thread because it may be more economical to upgrade now rather than waiting until you are on the ship. Also you may want to do a "search" on Cruise Critic for a list of the beers and liquors offered in the Celebrity Classic package. The liquors offerings are o.k., but the beers are lame - even for a U.S. resident.

Hope this helps.

I just checked out the Premium Bev Pkg for my Nov Silhouette cruise and it states it is now $70. Classic is still $55. When you add in the 18% gratuity it will cost over $17 per person per day to upgrade. And I understand the drinks at the New World Bar start at $15 and go up from there. Is there no end in sight on drink prices?

I just checked out the Premium Bev Pkg for my Nov Silhouette cruise and it states it is now $70. Classic is still $55. When you add in the 18% gratuity it will cost over $17 per person per day to upgrade. And I understand the drinks at the New World Bar start at $15 and go up from there. Is there no end in sight on drink prices?

Yup, no end in sight. Just as gas does not cost .23 cent a gallon as it did when I got my DL, and milk is no longer .89 cents a gallon, the cost to heat an cool our home is a lot more than when we got married in 1982.

Why should the cost to make, buy, or sell, single mash whiskey be the same?

Let alone buying a cabin on a cruise vacation! Are you still working for the same hourly rate as you did 5, 10, yrs ago? I think not. Yet you want others to work for the same rate, really?

Help me out here. I went to Celebrity beverage listings and printed the 2 beverage packages and then sat down and compared. I checked the beer, gin, brandy, etc. and can find few differences. We sometimes have a beer at lunch, but since there are no German beer choices on either list, what's wrong with Carona or Heinekins? I drink Jack Daniels and it is there also Jim Beam. Rudy likes gin martini's but he also likes gin and tonic. I can't see the need to spend the extra money on drinks. I am certain we won't be able to buy our favorite wine with our package but we will have discount coupons to use in BLU at dinner. I would rather use my money to buy diamonds!!!!!

Why would one upgrade? There must be something I don't understand.

Grace

Celebrity stated that on April 6 the cost of the Premium Package was going to be raised to $65. Not even a month later when I checked the price for the Premium Package on my November cruise the price is $70. That is a very quick change if it's accurate. As we all know the website is not to be trusted, but I was quite surprised at he difference in less than a month. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this change.

Edited by Champagne Cruiser