Drink Package Questions (Several Threads Merged)

photomikey

On our 13 night 2013 Med cruise, which was packed with port visits, only 1 full day at sea, came out even on the drinks (we had the "free" classic drink pkg). I added up our drinks, and was surprised our bill was not higher. Many times we got a drink)coffee,beer/rum/coke) only because of the drink pkg. Don't think I would ever buy a pkg, as just don't drink enough to warrant it, but each their own. Just have to do the math, and one can find the drink prices via a quick search here on CC

As an idea I did the below list which would be an average sea days drinking...

Celebrity daily drinks

Breakfast -

Coffee $4.50 x 1

Fresh orange juice $3.00 x 1

Mid-morning -

Coffee $4.50 x 1

Coke $2.50 x 1

Lunch -

Coke $2.50 x 1

Water $2.50 x 1

Afternoon -

Red bull $5.00 x 1

Cocktail $8.00 x 1

Coke $2.50 x 1

Pre-dinner -

molecular $13.00 x 2

Cocktail $8.00 x 1

Dinner -

Large Water $4.00 x 1

Coke $2.50 x 1

Post dinner -

martini $12.00 x 2

Now some days would be more & some less but as an average it's a no-brainer for us... Plus you need to work out as a port day but we prefer sea day cruises Vs ports!

As an idea I did the below list which would be an average sea days drinking...

Celebrity daily drinks

Breakfast -

Coffee $4.50 x 1

Fresh orange juice $3.00 x 1

Mid-morning -

Coffee $4.50 x 1

Coke $2.50 x 1

Lunch -

Coke $2.50 x 1

Water $2.50 x 1

Afternoon -

Red bull $5.00 x 1

Cocktail $8.00 x 1

Coke $2.50 x 1

Pre-dinner -

molecular $13.00 x 2

Cocktail $8.00 x 1

Dinner -

Large Water $4.00 x 1

Coke $2.50 x 1

Post dinner -

martini $12.00 x 2

Now some days would be more & some less but as an average it's a no-brainer for us... Plus you need to work out as a port day but we prefer sea day cruises Vs ports!

Not sure I would do it if we did not drink wine at dinner, a decent wine with maybe five glasses between the two of us really added up over the 13 days for us when I worked it out. I was pretty shocked how expensive drinks were on ship.

It mounts up horrendously even when you think that you don't drink much.

We didn't have a package on our first cruise and we spent a fortune. No coffee or water and not that much booze. A Guiness at lunchtime. Couple of cocktails before dinner and a glass of wine with the meal. Not me, him! Talking 40 dollars.

Of course, you can not drink but you are on holiday.

All those martini's to try!

I will be reducing their profit margin when I sail shortly:D

I think when you put down what you actually drink over a whole day it soon adds up... Now there are plenty of free options to have Vs paid for drinks but just not for me!

I think when you put down what you actually drink over a whole day it soon adds up... Now there are plenty of free options to have Vs paid for drinks but just not for me!

Same for us on the alcohol side, although we have to be careful I do like a nice glass of port as an example, I'm guessing that's not cheap.

Here is my "RUFF" run down of a day with a drink pkg on another thread

For us at least, the package was not just about drinks that would make us not remember the cruise! It was everything else that the pkg includes.

A speciality coffee each on the balcony while the wifester is putting on her face, $5 ea.

Evian or San Pellegrino with fresh squeezed juice with that second coffee at breakfast, $15 ea.

Grab a bottle water on the way to stake out a deck chair, $4 ea.

$24 each before any mind altering liquid is consumed.

A beer or the drink of the day by the pool, $6 ea

Then off to lunch, maybe a soda, or another San Pellegrino $5 ea

The sun is hot hot hot! A cold beer or drink of the day is in order, $6 ea

The burger at the Mast Grill is calling our names, it does not go down with out some liquid assistance, $5 ea, then it is time to meet friends to watch the sun set from the Sunset Bar, $6 ea. Afternoon total $28.

And the evening fun has yet to begin.

San Pellegrino and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and another speciality coffee with desert, $26 ea

Now it is time for some mind altering sampling to happen, or not A cocktail with friends at one of the watering holes on ship $7 ea, or 2 if we are letting our hair down!

One more bottle water on the way back to the cabin just in case we get thirsty during the night, $4. Evening total, $44.

Morning, $24, day, $28, evening $44, total $96.00 each useing the low end of the cost scale and not much mind altering substance.

Some evening's we will grab another coffee ( or worse) and go and sit on deck 5 to unwind, listen to the swoosh of the waves gently breaking down the side of the ship before heading to the cabin.

Depends on how you make use of the package.

We have upgraded to the Premium on our last 2 cruises. Our friends stayed with the Classic and were fine. I like the Craft beer selection, the wifester the better wines.

Thanks for all the help everybody. I like to have a cocktail or two when sitting by the pool during the day. Hubby likes beer, I also like a few coffees, soft drinks and maybe a smoothie and that's just during the day. Not forgetting water as well.

Then of course wine with evening meal, pre and post drinks after dinner. I think we will be going for the premium package, don't want a massive bill at the end of the cruise.

Catherine

It's the only way to go Catherine... Apart from the drinks it's also nice not having to sign for every drink and keep track of your spending... It also very nice getting off with little or no bill!

Would someone please explain the difference between the brands of non-premium bottled water offered in the classic package and the brands of the premium bottled purified water offered in the premium package.

Thanks for the link posted below.

Betsy

It's very easy to stay under the cost of the package if you are paying by the drink. It's also very easy to exceed it. For us, we do drink somewhat more with the package, but not all alcohol. Bottled water for excursions, coffee in the morning and espresso with dessert. Sparkling water with meals. The packages let you enjoy a lot of nice touches that you might not be willing to pay for individually.

Is a drink package really worth it in your opinion? I'm just curious. I like my fruity drinks and martinis but I still don't think I would drink $300+ for it to be worth it. The premium list did have more alcohols listed on it.

Here are the tequilas on the regular drink package:

• Jose Cuervo Blanco

• Cuervo Gold

• Cazadores Blanco

• Cazadores Reposado

Here are the tequilas on the premium package:

• Jose Cuervo Blanco

• Cuervo Gold

• Cazadores Blanco

• Cazadores Reposado

• Cazadores Anejo

• Tequila Patron Silver

• Patron Reposado

• Patron XO Café

• Don Julio Blanco

So if you like a margarita with a certain liquor like patron than it might be worth the extra price.

About the post of Team Alpha: When we booked the Classic Pkg. it said: "beers up to $6". So, in viewing the menu that you posted.....there weren't any!! Does every ship have a different menu??? Surely they have to honor the price on the package that was purchased.

Thanks for all the help everybody. I like to have a cocktail or two when sitting by the pool during the day. Hubby likes beer, I also like a few coffees, soft drinks and maybe a smoothie and that's just during the day. Not forgetting water as well.

Then of course wine with evening meal, pre and post drinks after dinner. I think we will be going for the premium package, don't want a massive bill at the end of the cruise.

Catherine

I think given that it's a no brainer, enjoy.

Would someone please explain the difference between the brands of non-premium bottled water offered in the classic package and the brands of the premium bottled purified water offered in the premium package.

Thanks for the link posted below.

Betsy

Typically I have seen Evian as the premium brand and Crystal Geyser as the non-premium. I can't really tell a difference--in fact often a bar will be out of Evian and give me the other, and I certainly wouldn't consider it worth a walk to the next bar to get the right brand.

I don't think any sparkling water is included in the classic package though.

Thanks very much everybody I've booked the Premium Package. At least there won't be a big bill at the end of the cruise.

Catherine

Catherine after you return, please post about your experiences.

IMHO and experience you have made a wonderful choice for a worry free sailing.

EW

We received the Classic Package on the 123 go promotion for our next cruise. From memory I think that the 18% service charge is included.

If we upgrade to the Premium package do we have to pay 18% on the difference between packages or on the entire Premium package?

Also does anyone have a wine list showing the prices by the glass from the restaurants and bars, as this would influence whether or not to upgrade.

Thanks in advance

We received the Classic Package on the 123 go promotion for our next cruise. From memory I think that the 18% service charge is included.

If we upgrade to the Premium package do we have to pay 18% on the difference between packages or on the entire Premium package?

Also does anyone have a wine list showing the prices by the glass from the restaurants and bars, as this would influence whether or not to upgrade.

Thanks in advance

The 18% is only charged on the $10 difference in the pkg cost, = $11.80 per person per day.

As to wine list, last year there were different kinds at every bar, the Speciality venues, and the MDR. Only 2-3 duplicated. My wife likes Austrialian Shiraz, and to get anything close had to upgrade.

There are a couple hundred choices :eek: