Berlin excursion- Glorified On Off Bus?

What will the Berlin excursion be like when the cruise ship docks at Warnemunde?

I'm still waffling whether to go to Berlin or to something closer. I'd rather go to Berlin, but the travel time to get to Berlin and back will be 6 hours total so I want to make sure the Berlin excursion will be worth all that travel time.

But, the description of the Berlin excursion sounds like one of those on off sightseeing bus tours- the bus will drive around Berlin as a guide points out the famous landmarks with the bus making a few short stops so you can get get out and take a few up close photographs.

Is that a fair description of what the excursion will be like?

When the tour description is that there will be a few photo stops, how long will you be at that landmark for a photo stop?

Edited by dana r.

Generally, that is what will happen. However, depending on the tour, you might spend as much as an hour at sites, plus eating. It was a quick taste of Berlin.

Having been to Germany a number of times, it was the sites we wanted, not a extensive cultural experience.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Generally, that is what will happen. However, depending on the tour, you might spend as much as an hour at sites, plus eating. It was a quick taste of Berlin.

Having been to Germany a number of times, it was the sites we wanted, not a extensive cultural experience.

The planned itineary is 2 hours in West Berlin and 2 hours in East Berlin with an hour set aside for eating.

There's a lot of sights to cover in each part so I'm assuming there's not that much time at the sights.

The tour mentions "photo stops at the Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, The Berlin Wall and the famous Reichstag with the glass dome" but I wanted to know what exactly that meant and how much time that really meant. Does it mean that there's only enough time for everybody on the bus/van to get out to take a picture and then get back into the vehicle to go on to the next stop?

The planned itineary is 2 hours in West Berlin and 2 hours in East Berlin with an hour set aside for eating.

There's a lot of sights to cover in each part so I'm assuming there's not that much time at the sights.

The tour mentions "photo stops at the Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, The Berlin Wall and the famous Reichstag with the glass dome" but I wanted to know what exactly that meant and how much time that really meant. Does it mean that there's only enough time for everybody on the bus/van to get out to take a picture and then get back into the vehicle to go on to the next stop?

On our tour we had probably 30 minutes at Checkpoint Charlie , the Wall and similar at the Brandenburg Gate. We drove by the Reichstag and many other sites. We had an hour at a US Military Museum, which was very interesting- if you go there, look at the 1946 picture immediately behind the check in desk. It is so tremendously ironic- a black GI dancing with a German woman. Think about the situation in our segregated military at the time, and the "Aryan" issues. One of the most complex pictures I have ever seen. Also understand the issue we were presenting- we were not "occupiers", we were friends helping the recovery after the war.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We’ve been to Warnemunde two years ago. At that time we decided not to go to Berlin and stayed closer to the ship. We went to Rostock on our own. We had a great day but this time we plan to go to Berlin. I really dream to see this city. According to the itinerary we will have 6 hours in Berlin including 1 hour for lunch. All main sights – Charlottenburg palace, Reichstag, Brandenburg gates, the wall, Checkpoint Charlie – are included. I know 6 hours are not enough for such city but it’s better than nothing. So we certainly will go. I have one question for experienced travelers. Many companies suggest tours to Berlin. I check several websites and can tell you that descriptions are different. My question is – are the tours also different? Is it the same route just described differently? I still not very sure with whom shall book Berlin. Thank you.

Jess :)

it's a bit like recommending tour companies for St Petersburg-most of us have only used 1 company so cant give a direct comparison

however we used SPB tours and were happy

Just one suggestion if you aren't bothered with a full sit down lunch ask if you can have a quick snack which means you can make better use of the hour they have allocated for that

Jess, I think the easiest and the most profitable way (of course if you want a private tour and not the ship-provided one) is to book a tour with the same tour company you are using in St.Petersburg. Almost all the major tour companies in St.P. have Baltic tour packages with discounts if one books a number of tours. Or do Berlin DIY - but I won't recommend it, I think it's too risky. You never know what could happen during 6-hours way there and back, any transport problems and you are late for the ship:eek:

Do you have a private tour in St.P.? Probably it could be useful to e-mail your tour company and ask if they have Berlin tours too?

Jane

We're doing a private tour with SPB, we decided to visit the Neues museum instead of stopping for lunch, we'll just grab a sandwich somewhere. Yes, we'll have just 6 hours in Berlin, but at least the ones in our group who haven't been there before will get a taste of what its like, IMO its worth it.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I think private tour to Berlin is too expensive for 3 of us. We are two adults and a kid of 5. If we book a group tour Nic comes free of charge. Concerning lunch. Thank you for the idea. Of course quick snack will perfectly work with me and my husband, we don’t care about food to much but Nic will need normal lunch. So we decided for a normal lunch. Once again thank you for all the ideas. It helped to make a final decision – we are booking a group tour to Berlin “Classical Berlin” with the Best Guides. I will let you know my impressions. Good luck! Jess

I found some discussions in other threads and past years of DIY trains from Warnemunde to Berlin. 10 minute walk to station, it said, for 7:00 a.m. train, 2 hours thirty minutes to Berlin Hauptbahnhof; train back in time for sailing; total round trip under $50 on web from German railway. Some concern about construction and repairs.

Is this still possible? We are on HAL Eurodam with arrival in Warnemunde Sept. 5, 6:00 a.m., depart 8:00 p.m. Ship excursion, train only, $200 pp.

conrad

I found some discussions in other threads and past years of DIY trains from Warnemunde to Berlin. 10 minute walk to station, it said, for 7:00 a.m. train, 2 hours thirty minutes to Berlin Hauptbahnhof; train back in time for sailing; total round trip under $50 on web from German railway. Some concern about construction and repairs.

Is this still possible? We are on HAL Eurodam with arrival in Warnemunde Sept. 5, 6:00 a.m., depart 8:00 p.m. Ship excursion, train only, $200 pp.

conrad

After 4th May to DIY to Berlin in your time frame is just about impossible due to track work, revised timetables and trains replaced by buses. For this reason I have removed all the train times to Berlin from my web site and advise looking at the official DB site.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

On weekends the s-bahn to Rostock departs Warnemünde at 6:03 and half hourly up to 8:33. Trains on which the cheap fares are available (RE trains) depart Rostock at 6:34, 8:34 etc through the day so obviously the first possible train from Rostock would be the 8:34 arriving Berlin at 11:12. Total travel time is 3 hours 9 minutes +10 mins walk to the station and about 10 mins to change trains in Rostock.

For the return journey there are no RE trains between 12:44 and 16:44 the latter of which does not arrive in Rostock until 19:23, too late to get back to Warnemünde for 19:30 on board.

There are other trains; ICE and IC combined with buses but the cost of the return jouney would be upwards of 100 euros pp.

The major tour companies will, I imagine, be offering transfer only by coach. The other alternative is car rental.

Sorry to disappoint.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks to Anna for the helpful info on the complications of getting to Berlin by train. HAL lists such a trip for $200 pp. I wonder if they will do it.-, and would it be worth it? You also mentioned the possibility of car rental. How strenuous and expensive would that be? And how long would it take? Ich kann Deutsch sprechen und verstehen und hab ehe unter den Einheimischer zu reisen als unter viele PAXen im Autobus. Vor sechsig Jahren habe ich zwei Jahren in Deutschland verbracht, aber leide hab ich auch viele Deutsch Vegessen.

It's good to have some info from someone who lives there. Many thanks.

conrad

Thanks to Anna for the helpful info on the complications of getting to Berlin by train. HAL lists such a trip for $200 pp. I wonder if they will do it.-, and would it be worth it? You also mentioned the possibility of car rental. How strenuous and expensive would that be? And how long would it take? Ich kann Deutsch sprechen und verstehen und hab ehe unter den Einheimischer zu reisen als unter viele PAXen im Autobus. Vor sechsig Jahren habe ich zwei Jahren in Deutschland verbracht, aber leide hab ich auch viele Deutsch Vegessen.

It's good to have some info from someone who lives there. Many thanks.

conrad

Hi, thank you for your appreciation and congratulations on your excellent German. Although I have lived here for many years I am not a native speaker (I am an Aussie) and whilst speaking, understanding and reading fairly well, to my shame :o, writing good German has always defeated me!

I cannot tell you how much car rental costs but these companies have special pick-up and drop-off facilities at the terminal for cruise ship passengers only and do on-line quotes in English.

https://www.europcar.com/location/ge...al-warnemuende

http://www.sixt.com/car-rental/germa...nde-cruise-ctr

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/locat...il&eoag=RLGN70

Travel time by road is around two and a half hours, mostly on the autobahn.

I would not recommend a ship's excursion to Berlin by train. As of last year the chartered trains were still using old DB rolling stock, compartment type without A/C :eek:

The coach transfers offered by the bigger private tour companies (SPB, Alla etc) are much more comfortable and better value. The journey time, ship to city centre, is around three hours including a 15-30min rest stop.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com