Booking shows and specialty dining

portiemom

We're still very much cruise newbies. Only been on one cruise - to Alaska. And our second cruise will be - to Alaska!:D

On that first cruise we were not the least bit interested in going to any shows.:eek: We were having way too much fun just watching the scenery or were too pooped from shore activities.:cool:

This time we think we might like to try maybe one show. And we have one night of specialty dining as part of a promotion.

My question is how do these things work? I think you have to book them, but do you do that in advance or when you get onboard? Also I know there is usually an extra fee for specialty dining, but we have a promotion. Is there an extra fee for the show?

We are sailing on the Crown Princess. Our dining time is 6pm. I did a search of both the Princess forum and this one, but couldn't find this info, although I'm sure it's been asked before. I also looked on the Princess website, but couldn't find the answers there either.

Any help you can provide on booking would be much appreciated. Thanks!:)

Not sure if you can reserve anything before hand, some ships/lines have it some do not. I would ask open this on Princess board. Last time I cruised this ships shows were 1st come, also I had no problems booking restaurants while on board,, shows can be very crowded on that ship get there asap for any of the shows.

You do not have to reserve places in any shows on Princess. I think Royal Caribbean is the only line where you have to reserve places for shows, and not on all ships. Maybe on the newest NCL ships. but definitely, not on Princess, HAL, Celebrity, Carnival...EM

We're still very much cruise newbies. Only been on one cruise - to Alaska. And our second cruise will be - to Alaska!:D

On that first cruise we were not the least bit interested in going to any shows.:eek: We were having way too much fun just watching the scenery or were too pooped from shore activities.:cool:

This time we think we might like to try maybe one show. And we have one night of specialty dining as part of a promotion.

My question is how do these things work? I think you have to book them, but do you do that in advance or when you get onboard? Also I know there is usually an extra fee for specialty dining, but we have a promotion. Is there an extra fee for the show?

We are sailing on the Crown Princess. Our dining time is 6pm. I did a search of both the Princess forum and this one, but couldn't find this info, although I'm sure it's been asked before. I also looked on the Princess website, but couldn't find the answers there either.

You don't prebook shows on Princess. Which is nice because that way there's available seats. You just show up to the show you want to see (you might have to go 30 minutes early). The big production shows are usually done two or three times on a night.

You can't book a dinner at a specialty restaurants until you're on board. But unless you're trying to book a special night (such as Valentine's Day) or there's many who are celebrating a special occasion and want the same night, you should be able to get in. There's been some cruises on which the head waiter will go from table to table and ask if he can book a dinner for you.

I would love to do an Alaska cruise, hubby dreads the flight before and after the cruise. We are on the North East coast. He prefers ports we can drive to. Like Boston. So you've done Alaska and are doing it again. It looks like you really like Alaska, and I can relate. We've done Bermuda, Bermuda, Bermuda, Bermuda and in May we are cruising to...you guessed it! Bermuda. Mind you I'm not complaining, I'm sure there are worse places to take repeat vacations! lol :D

Lorie

There is NO fee for the shows. They are scheduled around the 2 traditional dining times. Early (main) seating goes to the show AFTER dinner. Late seating goes BEFORE dinner. So easy! If you opt for anytime dining...you choose your dinner time to see the show you want to see.

I would love to do an Alaska cruise, hubby dreads the flight before and after the cruise. We are on the North East coast. He prefers ports we can drive to. Like Boston. So you've done Alaska and are doing it again. It looks like you really like Alaska, and I can relate. We've done Bermuda, Bermuda, Bermuda, Bermuda and in May we are cruising to...you guessed it! Bermuda. Mind you I'm not complaining, I'm sure there are worse places to take repeat vacations! lol :D

Lorie

Our repeat vacations are most frequently to your fine state!!:D As a matter of fact, I've lost count of how many times we've been to Wells, Ogunquit, Bar Harbor and our love of loves Acadia National Park. We drive up - 12 to 13 hours. We've seriously considered relocating to Maine for many years, but I've had no luck finding a job. Been on 2 interviews, but no offers.:( Now we talk about retiring there. Yeah, I know while everyone else wants to head south away from the snow, we want to go toward it.:rolleyes: I've never been to Bermuda or the Caribbean.

So I guess Alaska, being northward is a natural for us. Yes, the flight is long. I don't care for flying, in general. Not comfortable and everything about it is annoying. But returning to Alaska is worth it.:)

There is NO fee for the shows. They are scheduled around the 2 traditional dining times. Early (main) seating goes to the show AFTER dinner. Late seating goes BEFORE dinner. So easy! If you opt for anytime dining...you choose your dinner time to see the show you want to see.

Thanks, cb! And everyone else who replied. I made some notes. I think 6pm is probably the early dinner. Last time we ate at 8pm and I know that was the late dinner. I know there is information on the shows in the Patters. Hard to admit, but last time I think the only one I found time to read was the one about disembarkation times.:o