Columbian coffee

willworkfortravel

I bought coffee in the old town section of Cartagena and the price was quite reasonable -- certainly cheaper than a comparable pack of Starbucks in the grocery store here! And that area is perfectly safe and a great place to stroll around, with fun little cafes and bars and shops and historical sites.

I would love to bring home some of the best Columbian coffee for my family. Can anyone tell me where to buy it that is in a safe, easy to get to, place in Cartegena, or is it cheaper, better in some of the other ports? Thank you for any help you can offer.

Once onboard ask the shopping person about trusted retailers that sell Columbian coffee and what to look for on the packaging.

We have brought back coffee several times on our canal cruises.

When in Jamaica we found that Jamaican Blue Mountain was some of the most counterfeited coffee.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

On our Panama Canal Full Transit we got coffee in Puntarenas, Costa Rica.

I was originally wanting to get Columbian coffee but we were busy with a tour all around and of the old city, and I was busy shopping for some Columbian Emeralds as a surprise gift for my Mother who was tired and stayed on the mini bus to relax after a busy long day of walking and touring. I also got to hold and get pictures with a three toed sloth on this shopping stop! :D

Actually we were very happy with the Cafe 1820 coffee from Costa Rica. We bought a ton of bags for gifts for people back home and everyone enjoyed it! This coffee is grown in a volcanic region pretty high up so it helps the flavor quite a bit.

(And before you ask... “why 1820?” the answer is that was the year they exported their first “golden beans” to Panama. I learned this fact on our tour.)

Our (private) tour guide took everyone to a large local grocery store during a break as she said that was the best place to get locals pricing for the better coffee that the locals enjoy at home. (We really saved a bunch given that we saw the same coffee near the port, and it was more than 5 times more expensive compared to where we got ours.)

If you get to visit in Costa Rica, you should check it out.

Happy Cruising!

Mark

If your ship shops in Puntareneas there is a group of tents at the dock area

selling all kinds of things. Coffee John has his own company and sells the coffee. We picked up several bags and loved it!!! I see he now has a website where you can order. Check out if his table is at the dock.

http://cofejohn.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=5

I would love to bring home some of the best Columbian coffee for my family. Can anyone tell me where to buy it that is in a safe, easy to get to, place in Cartegena, or is it cheaper, better in some of the other ports? Thank you for any help you can offer.

Your profile doesn't list your home town, but you may have a home source for Columbian.

My local supplier keeps a stock of it.

http://www.javacoffee.com/cart.php?m=search_results&headerSearch=Y&search=columbian+coffee

Agree with earlier post about Puntarenas. Our tour guy took us to a small grocery store and told us his favorite - I think it was 1820. Very inexpensive 'Tico prices' as he said.

In Cartagena we bought Columbian in the gift shops at the old dungeons - popular tourist stop. Also stopped at a shop in a small mall where Emeralds are sold. A small variety shop there also sold coffee and had brewed samples.

A few years ago, my friend and I went outside the cruise area where taxis were located and negotiated a several hour tour with one of the drivers and his friend. We ended up paying them way more than the negotiated price because they were phenomenal - opened doors, shooed away people trying to sell us stuff, gave us a great tour, took us shopping, carried our packages.

Anyway, one of the places they took us to was a mall area. I think I located it online and have the links below. In this mall was a place called CoffeeAnd. There were many types of coffees, ground and whole beans and one smelled better than the other. A local I spoke to in the store steered me to a particular brand, and it was the best coffee I can ever remember. Sorry, I have no idea what it was. On the trip I bought many brands and ended up with a carry on full of coffee. But, I was a bit hesitant buying from "tents" because I wasn't sure of expiration dates, etc, or how long the packages were sitting waiting to be purchased. Could be fine, though.

Here is a link to the mall and a link to the store.

http://www.destinationcartagena.com/CoffeeAnd

http://www.ppigroup.com/Web_Maps/CTG_shopping.pdf

A few years ago, my friend and I went outside the cruise area where taxis were located and negotiated a several hour tour with one of the drivers and his friend. We ended up paying them way more than the negotiated price because they were phenomenal - opened doors, shooed away people trying to sell us stuff, gave us a great tour, took us shopping, carried our packages.

Anyway, one of the places they took us to was a mall area. I think I located it online and have the links below. In this mall was a place called CoffeeAnd. There were many types of coffees, ground and whole beans and one smelled better than the other. A local I spoke to in the store steered me to a particular brand, and it was the best coffee I can ever remember. Sorry, I have no idea what it was. On the trip I bought many brands and ended up with a carry on full of coffee. But, I was a bit hesitant buying from "tents" because I wasn't sure of expiration dates, etc, or how long the packages were sitting waiting to be purchased. Could be fine, though.

Here is a link to the mall and a link to the store.

http://www.destinationcartagena.com/CoffeeAnd

http://www.ppigroup.com/Web_Maps/CTG_shopping.pdf

The destination Cartagena website is for the excellent tour guy Lee Miles.

We have used him a couple of times. Very Very knowledgeable.

We have tours set up with him for our upcoming Coral cruise and purchased coffee while on tour in the past.

The best coffee is Jamaican Blue Mountain!

Coffee seems like a lot of extra weight to add to my luggage that I have to fly home!

cruisehappy001 posted some good info above regarding buying coffee where the locals buy for 5 times less than the same coffee near the pier. I can't imagine that purchasing near the cruise port would be a place to get good pricing.

cruisehappy001 posted some good info above regarding buying coffee where the locals buy for 5 times less than the same coffee near the pier. I can't imagine that purchasing near the cruise port would be a place to get good pricing

Why would you want to carry it home?

There are always those that will ship it home for you.

On our Panama Canal cruise (2/21/15 on the Island) we took a tour in Cartagena with Dora Tours. We were also looking to buy coffee. We stopped at a place called Coffee And. So far we are happy with our purchase, on our second bag. It's a nice souvenir to bring home. We also bought coffee in Costa Rica--haven't tried it yet.

cruisehappy001 posted some good info above regarding buying coffee where the locals buy for 5 times less than the same coffee near the pier. I can't imagine that purchasing near the cruise port would be a place to get good pricing

Why would you want to carry it home?

There are always those that will ship it home for you.

I was strategic and booked the transit from FLL to LA so that I could have a friend pick us up and drive us (and our extra heavy bags full from all of the crap we bought) home outside North San Diego County! LOL... Fly over lighter due to luggage fees. Port intensive part of the cruise in the beginning so that we could relax and enjoy the sea days towards the end of the cruise while we recovered from our busy port schedule! We bought so much coffee at the great prices that we had to buy a couple of bags at the $10 outlet sale on the ship to carry it! Our many coffee gift recipients are asking when we are going to do the transit again since they are out of the great coffee! HA HA! I would love to do that wonderful cruise again... I would take one for the team! ;):D;)

Having to fly home after the cruise really changes things. I guess that you could ship yourself a box if you have time after the cruise during an extra day stay or before a later flight maybe? UPS or USPS or FEDEX GROUND SHOULD BE LESS EXPENSIVE THAN MOST OF THE HUGE EXTRA BAG FEES FROM THE AIRLINES! Plus like Colo Cruiser said many merchants will ship for reasonable fees.

Happy Cruising!

Mark

I gotta admit that other than the sentimental value that one brings home with some local coffee, I've found the best coffees to bring home, even from Colombia, is the freshness -obvious right? But for me it's been freshness vs brand. As odd as this may sound, some of the freshest I found was from the tourist shop at/near the port in Costa Rica. However, the coffee I picked up from Colombia tastes pretty fresh as well (from that same mini-mall that others have mentioned with the emerald shop and I think they also had a sloth. I think one of the tour operators own the jewelry shop.)

The best coffee is Jamaican Blue Mountain!

one of best in the world. bot at grocery store in Jamaica. fantatsic. soory this is off topic but if you ever get the chance ...... dont buy blends - just pure 100% blue mtn

Edited by jrblach