DIY in Barcelona for 1.5 Days

I would really appreciate some advice on my current plan for our 1.5 days in Barcelona. We arrive at 4pm the day before our cruise sets sail.

That afternoon, I'm hoping to just walk to Plaza Catalunya area and get some dinner after check in. We are staying at Hotel Jazz which is located about 5 minutes from there. (Or should we go to Las Ramblas instead?)

In the morning (day of embarkation) we are hoping to visit la sagrada familia. I would like to do the audio tour for 9 or 10am. But I'm thinking we might not have time. Should we just DIY without audio/guided tour? Any advice on this?

We have to board the ship at 2pm but the latest boarding is for 5:30. Thinking we want to board a little later than 2pm. That way it gives us more time to see La Sagrada Familia and walk around Las Ramblas before we head to the ship.

Does this sound do-able? I don't want to rush from place to place but these 3 stops are really important to me. I have never been to Barcelona.

Check your luggage at the hotel for the day after checking out.

Buy your tickets for Sagrada Familia online. They open at 9am, so be there at that time and be among the first to enter for the day.

Take a taxi from Sagrada Familia to Hotel 1898 on Las Ramblas and walk around. Las Ramblas is very long and taking a taxi to Hotel 1898 will drop you in the best part of Las Ramblas. Don't miss Mercat St Joseph de la Bouqueria (about 1 block south or 1 minute walk from Hotel 1898) - it is a place so amazing that we've spent 4 or more hours just taking photos, but you can at least have a walk through, take a few photos and perhaps buy some bread, cheese and Iberico ham for lunch and then perhaps some candy for dessert. Sagrada Familia is beautiful, but la Bouqueria is AMAZING! This part of Las Ramblas features many tapas bars and human statues and lots of vendors.

For your safety and the safety of your valuables, in all areas of Barcelona, keep your wits about you and your head up. I never carry a purse in Barcelona or wear jewelry and I never carry a map. I plan my route beforehand and walk around dressed and acting like a local business woman who knows where she is going and my husband also dresses like a local businessman. We have never been pick pocketed but many, many others have. It is important to understand that gypsies and pickpockets are all over Barcelona and especially Las Ramblas, Sagrada Familia, and Plaza Cataluna. They like it when you stop at the human statues or get immersed in looking at things such as the magic fountain and will have your wallet in a minute if you give them the chance. Pickpockets are also very active on public transportation. Keep your valuables safe, look like a local, not a tourist and you will be fine. My husband often wears a Scott E-Vest garment or vest on these tours. I keep my valuables and credit card somewhere hard to locate and nearly impossible to access for thieves. Because it is hard for them to figure out where my valuables are, they move on to easier prey. Also, never go anywhere where there are not a number of others on the sidewalk. Thieves will follow you down alleys if you are alone and rob you.

Take a taxi back to Hotel Jazz, have the taxi wait while you get your luggage and head for the port. Unless you are fluent in Spanish, it is useful to have addresses written down for your taxi driver as he may not speak any English.

Check your luggage at the hotel for the day after checking out.

Buy your tickets for Sagrada Familia online. They open at 9am, so be there at that time and be among the first to enter for the day.

Take a taxi from Sagrada Familia to Hotel 1898 on Las Ramblas and walk around. Las Ramblas is very long and taking a taxi to Hotel 1898 will drop you in the best part of Las Ramblas. Don't miss Mercat St Joseph de la Bouqueria (about 1 block south or 1 minute walk from Hotel 1898) - it is a place so amazing that we've spent 4 or more hours just taking photos, but you can at least have a walk through, take a few photos and perhaps buy some bread, cheese and Iberico ham for lunch and then perhaps some candy for dessert. Sagrada Familia is beautiful, but la Bouqueria is AMAZING! This part of Las Ramblas features many tapas bars and human statues and lots of vendors.

For your safety and the safety of your valuables, in all areas of Barcelona, keep your wits about you and your head up. I never carry a purse in Barcelona or wear jewelry and I never carry a map. I plan my route beforehand and walk around dressed and acting like a local business woman who knows where she is going and my husband also dresses like a local businessman. We have never been pick pocketed but many, many others have. It is important to understand that gypsies and pickpockets are all over Barcelona and especially Las Ramblas, Sagrada Familia, and Plaza Cataluna. They like it when you stop at the human statues or get immersed in looking at things such as the magic fountain and will have your wallet in a minute if you give them the chance. Pickpockets are also very active on public transportation. Keep your valuables safe, look like a local, not a tourist and you will be fine. My husband often wears a Scott E-Vest garment or vest on these tours. I keep my valuables and credit card somewhere hard to locate and nearly impossible to access for thieves. Because it is hard for them to figure out where my valuables are, they move on to easier prey. Also, never go anywhere where there are not a number of others on the sidewalk. Thieves will follow you down alleys if you are alone and rob you.

Take a taxi back to Hotel Jazz, have the taxi wait while you get your luggage and head for the port. Unless you are fluent in Spanish, it is useful to have addresses written down for your taxi driver as he may not speak any English.

Just as easy on the metro. Buy a T10 metro ticket to do pretty much the same thing; all of the places you are at or are heading are within a couple of block walk from a Metro Station.

As for can't miss, we actually liked the Santa Caterina market more than the Boqueria; not as crowded and less touristy, more real.

At the end of the day, Metro to Drassanes, cross the street (to the other side of the Columbus statue) and grab the €3 blue port bus port

If your flight arrives at 4PM, by the time you get to your hotel, it may be 5-6, and after your flight you may be exhausted, DW usually is, but I still like to stroll around.

As mentioned, get your tickets online early, and the audio tour should be fine, by 1PM you will be tired from walking and the creak in your neck from looking up at the amazing architecture, and be ready to leave.

If you have your bags, you can stroll to the water on the Ramblas, from top to the water takes about 20 - 30 minutes. Cross the street towards the water at the Columbus statue, go to the right and catch the bus to the ship, departs about every 10-15 minutes, about $2E pp.

Enjoy!! ;)

We spent a couple more hours at La Sagrada Familia than we thought we would. The audio tour was great...pointed out things we wouldn't have noticed because there is so much to see. If you take a taxi, make sure it drops you off on Carrer de Sardenya, which is where the ticket offices are. There is a line for people who want to buy tickets, and a separate line for those who already have tickets. After you get through the ticket line, you go to the right and pick up your audio devices.

We also did one of the towers which was great, you go up in an elevator and walk down. But our legs were sore for two days after that walk down.

We spent several days in Barcelona two years ago following B2B cruises, and will be returning this September for for a few days prior to a B2B2B series.

When my husband and I were talking about what to visit in Barcelona both of us had re-visiting the Sagrada Familia on the top of our lists. We booked an audio tour last time, and will again book pre-book another.

Another Barcelona attraction which doesn't seem to receive as much attention as we think it should is the Barcelona History Museum. This museum is part of the former Royal Palace, and excavations below the complex revealed part of the Roman community. The excavations actually hit a commercial district. The English audio-tapes are excellent. Anyone who has enjoyed visiting the Roman Painted House (in Dover) or Pompeii will enjoy this museum.

Buy your tickets for Sagrada Familia online before you go. The lines were around the block for this when we went in 2013. This will save you a lot of time.

La Ramblas is awesome but if you go later in the day many of the vendors will already be closed. FYI there is a money exchange on La Ramblas with good rates.