Picton (NZ) Car Hire

Hi all

Our next cruise calls in at Picton, and we plan to hire a car for the day.

Many of the car hire companies advertise that you pick up their cars at the Ferry Terminal, which of course isn't where we'll be docked - the Diamond Princess will be at the Waimahara Wharf.

Is it going to be practicable to get from the Diamond Princess and onto the the Ferry Terminal? - it doesn't really look to be the sort of place you can walk into? Or will it just be easier to use one of the companies that's located in Picton itself rather than at the Ferry terminal?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sandy

Have a read of this tourist info for Picton - they say there will be a shuttle provided from Waimahara Wharf to the iSite office - you can walk into town or back to the Ferry terminal area in a matter of minutes to pick up a rental car. I suggest it might be best to pre book your rental car prior to arrival to guarantee availability of your preferred size of vehicle

I grew up in this area so know it well and spent a day there back in November when we were there on a cruise ship (which docked at Waitohi Wharf on that occasion)

Have you thought about where you are going to drive to? - Depending on how long you have available I'd suggest Queen Charlotte drive and then through to Blenheim from Havelock is a nice drive - with a stop for lunch at Mussel Boys in Havelock if you like Mussels or perhaps at a vineyard once you get closer to Blenheim - then back to Picton

Update: I just read your blog and see a visit to Omaka is on your list - so best to drive straight through to Blenheim and make your way to Omaka - the Aviation centre is very good (thankyou Peter Jackson) and there is also a great car museum there - with cars from the 50's and 60's there. You'll have sometime to take a look around Blenheim or visit a winery or two if that takes your fancy

Edited by Bodogbodog

Hi Sandy, we just visited Picton for the day whilst on Voyager of the Seas. We docked at the same place as you will be and because it is a working port, free transport is provided to very near all the car hire companies. The company we used was Ace car rental and they were excellent. We could walk easily from transport drop off to their office. Cost was about $80 New Zealand for the day including GPS and insurances. We drove to havelock and Blenheim along a winding picturesque road. Just google them, should be easy to find. Hope this helps. Sue

Have a read of this tourist info for Picton - they say there will be a shuttle provided from Waimahara Wharf to the iSite office - you can walk into town or back to the Ferry terminal area in a matter of minutes to pick up a rental car. I suggest it might be best to pre book your rental car prior to arrival to guarantee availability of your preferred size of vehicle

I grew up in this area so know it well and spent a day there back in November when we were there on a cruise ship (which docked at Waitohi Wharf on that occasion)

Have you thought about where you are going to drive to? - Depending on how long you have available I'd suggest Queen Charlotte drive and then through to Blenheim from Havelock is a nice drive - with a stop for lunch at Mussel Boys in Havelock if you like Mussels or perhaps at a vineyard once you get closer to Blenheim - then back to Picton

Update: I just read your blog and see a visit to Omaka is on your list - so best to drive straight through to Blenheim and make your way to Omaka - the Aviation centre is very good (thankyou Peter Jackson) and there is also a great car museum there - with cars from the 50's and 60's there. You'll have sometime to take a look around Blenheim or visit a winery or two if that takes your fancy

Hi Sandy, we just visited Picton for the day whilst on Voyager of the Seas. We docked at the same place as you will be and because it is a working port, free transport is provided to very near all the car hire companies. The company we used was Ace car rental and they were excellent. We could walk easily from transport drop off to their office. Cost was about $80 New Zealand for the day including GPS and insurances. We drove to havelock and Blenheim along a winding picturesque road. Just google them, should be easy to find. Hope this helps. Sue

Many thanks to both of you for this info!

Sandy

If you click on this thread..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2183016

....there is a pic of the log wharf that has been built on the other side of the hill at at Picton. The new wharf allows the big cruise ships to call. It only a short shuttle, through all the logs to the Ferry Terminal and Township.

Nice bit of Kiwi ingenuity in the gangway arrangement! :D A very practical use of some (presumably) retired containers.

They have the same setup in Tauranga as well. Though they don't start setting it up until after the ship docks and it's a slow process.