Bringing Wine onboard in Galveston

Does anyone know if you bring wine onboard in Galveston if you are taxed for it?

Also if you buy alcohol in ports or onboard and bring it back to Galveston are you taxed for it (assuming you only bring back your limit)?

Does anyone know if you bring wine onboard in Galveston if you are taxed for it?

Also if you buy alcohol in ports or onboard and bring it back to Galveston are you taxed for it (assuming you only bring back your limit)?

We were not taxed for wine we brought onboard in Galveston this past September.

Unless something changed, cigarettes and alcohol are taxed in Galveston.

http://www.galvestoncruisetips.com/new-tax-on-alcohol-and-cigarettes-to-hit-galveston-cruisers/

My last cruise out of Galveston, they had a table set up as you departed the terminal. You were supposed to go over there and pay your tax. They gave you a sticker to put on your bottle to show the tax had been paid. (not sure why). Of the thousands of people on the ship, apparently, I was the only on that made such a purchase.

We had heard about the new rule and we discussed it with the person that worked in the liquor store on board. The information he gave us was completely wrong.

you are not taxed when boarding. only when you get off. they have tables set up just outside the terminal.

you are not taxed when boarding. only when you get off. they have tables set up just outside the terminal.

Duh. Thanks for clarifying. I missed that they were asking about boarding. I'm still annoyed that I was the only one paying the tax...

Duh. Thanks for clarifying. I missed that they were asking about boarding. I'm still annoyed that I was the only one paying the tax...

there was someone asking everyone as they passed through and sort of indicating the table where 3 or 4 people were patiently waiting to take your money. we actually didn't have any to declare as I am quite content with going to Fredricksburg to get my fermented grape juice and I can get all the Spiced rum I want cheaper on base.

I am however quite sure that 98% of the ones that DID have booze were quite smug as they blithely justified not paying the tariff in one way or another. ( I'm not a Texas resident, why should TX get money off something i didn't buy there, etc)

just like all the people who justify removing gratuities or who have no compunction sharing their drink package.

every state has some wacky laws that make zero sense ( CA anyone?!) but I was raised in the "when in Rome" school so what do I know.

there was someone asking everyone as they passed through and sort of indicating the table where 3 or 4 people were patiently waiting to take your money. we actually didn't have any to declare as I am quite content with going to Fredricksburg to get my fermented grape juice and I can get all the Spiced rum I want cheaper on base.

I am however quite sure that 98% of the ones that DID have booze were quite smug as they blithely justified not paying the tariff in one way or another. ( I'm not a Texas resident, why should TX get money off something i didn't buy there, etc)

just like all the people who justify removing gratuities or who have no compunction sharing their drink package.

every state has some wacky laws that make zero sense ( CA anyone?!) but I was raised in the "when in Rome" school so what do I know.

I'm back on the Navigator next month and we'll just pass on bringing liquor home. The prices in Texas aren't that much greater anyway so adding the tax on makes it not really worthwhile.

I'm a rule follower to a fault. I just wouldn't feel comfortable not declaring.