Transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia Port

confused4now

• 3 weeks later...

We just made the trek from FCO to Civitavecchia via train a couple of weeks ago. We are fairly young and fit and still found it to be quite difficult lugging the bags. We each had one large roller bag, a smaller roller bag, and a laptop bag, so maybe we were overloaded but here's my experience taking the train:

It wasn't clear what train to take leaving FCO airport, we had to rely on a verbal command from the ticketing agent, as there was no sign/board etc indicating what trains were going where (there were either 4 or 6 tracks to figure out). Please note - this next item is extremely important - you must validate your ticket at the machines in the station before getting on train. This goes for the trains leaving FCO and any change you make at Termini, etc. The validation machines are easy to find, they are right at the tracks. I think its a 100 euro fine for failing to validate the ticket before getting on the train.

Once we found the right train, it was difficult finding a spot to fit all of our bags so that we could keep them in sight. I would recommend getting a first class ticket (I think it was 14 euro) so that you can sit in first class where there is extra legroom to fit a bag or two.

Switching at Termini was a nightmare. Maybe we are the only ones to experience this, but the train to Civitavecchia did not show up. We only found out when another cruise passenger who spoke Italian asked an employee and found out that we had to wait for another one 40 minutes later. Once this other train showed up it was a mad dash to get on the train. Locals were making money by offering assitance with bags and then asking for money. I did utilize their help, but beware to always keep your eye on your bag. I found out later that one fellow cruiser had his luggage stolen, I don't know if he lost it on the train or before he got on the train, I just heard that it got stolen. Make sure you have change to tip the locals if you let them take your bag on the train for you - they will come back to you to make sure that you pay them. I gave a guy 2 euros for my bags. And, always watch your luggage as it can walk very easily if you aren't paying full attention. Although these locals appear friendly and helpful, I would watch where my bag is going like a hawk.

Once we got to Civitavecchia, we had to schlepp the bags down a flight of stairs, through a short tunnel, and back up another flight of stairs before you could get to the street entrance. I did not see an elevator in sight. If there was one there, then I couldn't find it.

Next is the walk to the port entrance which is not bad, maybe 3 blocks or about 15 minutes. There are street vendors along the way selling various knicknacks and last minute sun hats.

Once you get to the port entrance there are shuttles running you to the various ships. You need to look at the sign in the front window of the bus in order to find the bus going to your ship. We waited about a half hour for our bus to come. I would not recommend trying to walk this portion of it as our ship was quite a distance away from the port entrance.

At this point, I'd say the battle is over. The check in process once you are off the bus is very easy and quite quick. We were in our room in less than a half hour after we finally arrived.

In closing, I would tell anyone who decided to take the train to 1. Always keep an eye on your luggage at all times. 2. Be prepared to schlepp your bags up and down stairs. Taking the train can save about 100 euros, but its not easy by any means and its very time consuming. Allot several hours to this process if you chose to travel this way.

In years past, we didn't mind using the train or even a bus.

But we're older now ... and while we don't travel with tons of luggage, we each have a large suitcase (mine is 28", Howard's is 26") plus my laptop suitcase -- all on wheels -- and various smaller shoulder bags.

When we arrived in London in July 2010 we were astonished at all the lovely young men who just grabbed our bags and ran them up the stairs for us. I guess that's the sign of age ... in the past no one offered to help!

We're flying into Rome on October 19th and have arranged for Rome Cabs to pick us up. The fare from the airport into Rome is €50 for 2, €55 for 4. We were set to be four until Air France cancelled our flight so now we are arriving a few hours later, hence we'll be just two.

For our transfer to Civitavecchia we will be 6 people, using FacileTaxi. The rate is €140. (I think it's €120 for two people.) They are picking us up at the hotel (two hotels but they are very close to each other) and transferring us to the seaport. Probably RomeTaxi would be cheaper but we're interested in the relative services!

If you are young and strong, taking the train for transfers is fine. For us older folks -- I never thought I'd be saying that about myself but I just had yet another birthday! -- car services are the way to go. Especially if you travel with a LOT of luggage. We don't travel HEAVY, but we also don't travel LIGHT.

Maybe I will post after the fact as to what we thought about these two services ...

Mura

We have reserved a transfer w/ RomeCabs from FCO to central Rome, and were quoted 50E for two as Mura noted (for a midafternoon pickup).

For the transfer to Civitavecchia we have also reserved RomeCabs; the quoted rate is 130E for two, from a private apartment in Rome to the port. This sounds a bit higher than FacileTaxi. RomeCabs did not offer a discount for a second reservation, which I think FacileTaxi does.

I was happy to see that RomeCab's booking site offered very explicit instructions (including a YouTube video!) on how to meet their driver, and what to do if anything went wrong (missed connection, etc). After connecting coach flights from the west coast have scrambled our brains, easy is good.

sitraveler, I thought about sharing a ride from Rome to the port. But as this is my first port transfer with RomeCabs, if they didn't show or there was another difficulty, I didn't want fellow travelers elsewhere in Rome waiting on a ride that might not arrive. Once I've tried them out, I'll know whether it's safe to invite others to share next time.

Have to say, though, the Roll Call is a wonderful community; many of us are sharing tours, arranging meet-ups and generally trading info and ideas for our upcoming Med cruise. Two thumbs up for Cruise Critic and the Roll Call forums!

Last month we used the train to get from Rome to Civ. It was easy even though I was nervous, it all worked out fine. No problems whatsoever. We had an easy walk (if you are puling a suitcase)to the entrance to the dock where we boarded a shuttle bus to take us to our ship. On our train, it was all 2nd class and about 9Euros. There is a section for luggage at the beginning of the car. We left our luggage their rather than lifting it over the seats to the shelf. Friends of ours ordered limos from limoinrome and romecabs and got a group together with their cruise critic group. They all met at one hotel.

A couple of years ago, my sister and I (both seniors) took the train from Termini to Civiteveccia. We left our luggage - two 28" cases - on the landing area by the doors and kept our eyes on them. No problem with the cases, but her purse is another story for another time...... !! The train was all part of our "Great Adventure", the first of many.

Since then, we have taken the Chunnel train Paris to London after a week in Paris, then several days in London, followed by another train to Dover for a cruise which terminated in Monte Carlo. Then limo to Nice to catch yet another train back to Paris for our flight home the next day. All with the same large cases. Another great adventure, and lots of memories and laughs. And don't forget, we are NOT getting younger, just in spirit, since we are determined to break out of our comfort zones.

This past Sept, we did the same thing, but around the USA on Amtrak, trains, buses, subways, ferries and cabs, staying in SFO, CHI, SEA and NOL. We are having a ball, doing things that most younger folks wouldn't even think of doing, and it is all just adding to our travel experiences!! We will keep it up as long as we can and as long as it is still an ADVENTURE, just like life!

We visited the Vatican earlier this year from the port mid cruise. We must have hit rush hour going in and had to stand but survived! Returning was much easier and first class was available if required - probably worth it. We did not have luggage. We had read about stairs at Citiavecchia but these are not too difficult. Sadly, my DH is 82 and therefore we would still use a taxi. In fact we shared a mini bus to get to the port with Cruise Critic passengers at a very reasonable cost. Cetainly the train is very cheap. Be careful to punch tickets - we were fined 50 euros for not doing so on a bus even though we are elderly!!

For anyone who has done this on their own, what was the cost and did you use a taxi or a limo?

Poor planning forced me to use a taxi, instead of arranging with transport with hotel or other method of transportation. BE VERY AWARE; I negotiated a price with an independent driver for 125 euro, initially he wanted 170 euro. They wear white shirt with tie, no meter in taxi, they are many trolling for customer. We arrived in Civitavecchia and I counted out 135 euro, including tip. I handed the money in one bundle and he tells me I was 50 euro short? I am sure this was a scam he has pulled before! some how when I looked away, he palmed the 50 and demanded additional 50. No way to prove, I shorted him, I paid him additional 50. Make sure you count out the money in front of the driver and never just hand him the money!! You can do the train, inexpensive, but with bags, it can be difficult and time consuming, connection to boot, about 15-20 euros pp. An advance arrangement is around 50 euros pp, Bob's Limo seems to be a good one. I was embarrassed with this incident, especially having done this several times before. In fact steaming! Oh well, live and learn! I am sure not all drivers are dishonest to be sure, but plenty targeting tourists.:mad:

we used limoinrome.com

for transfers and touring

the info at bottom..I copied this from his site for you

Rome Limousine Tour and Travel - Owned and operated by Claudio Caponera

Via Aldo Moro 37 00040 Castel Gandolfo, Rome - ITALY

+39069361440

E-mail: claudio@limoinrome.com

Based on this thread, we also used Claudio at the end of our cruise on Nautica yesterday. Would highly recommend his service. We originally intended to share a minivan with one other couple, to 2 separate hotels in Rome, and the cost was quoted as 140 Euro. (As an aside, I cannot believe Oceania gets away with charging $675 for the same!)

After some emails back and forth we decided to add on a pretty comprehensive overview tour of Rome, increasing the cost to 300 Euro for 4 people. The driver took us to most of the major sites & stayed with the van/our luggage so we felt it was very safe. We felt the tour was a good overview and was customized to what we wanted to do in the time allowed. After a nice lunch we got to our hotels around 3:30. Especially with the early disembarkation, I would recommend a tour like this as our hotel room likely would not have been available had we arrived directly from the ship.

Claudio further arranged a tour of the Vatican Museums/St. Peter's Basilica with a private guide & we're using him for transportation to FCO tomorrow for 60 Euro...the cost was the same for 4 people/2 hotel pick ups as it is now for just the 2 of us as our friends are leaving a day later. So glad we saw this info posted here, it took away much of the hassle of doing this ourselves. Thanks ClaudiaF!

Which car service did you use? Do you have their website?

We went on line and used hotelsonline.it, filled out the form to make reservations. They responded back that someone would meet us with a sign with our names on it and drive us to Civitechhia.

Archived