Norwegian Sun in Alaska - How important is a balcony?

OhJinkies

I'm planning a solo Alaska cruise for 2017 -- my favorite itinerary is the NB cruise that includes Glacier Bay. I would love a balcony but essentially will be paying double since I'm cruising on my own. An inside stateroom would be more affordable for sure. I've had balconies before and they are great -- but I've also cruised in a solo stateroom on the Epic and Pride of America and those are just fine for port-intensive cruising.

I think the main differentiator here is the scenic cruising days through Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. I'll definitely want to be in a good place to view the scenery. If I have a balcony, I'll be comfortable and guaranteed a clear view (though I won't be able to see the other side of the ship). If I have an inside stateroom, I'll need to go on deck or find a viewing area with windows. The advantage to that is that I can move around more to get the best view -- the downside is that I'll be competing with others for railing/window space.

For those of you who have cruised this itinerary -- do you think it's worth the extra money? For me, the balcony could end up costing me over $1,000 more than an inside.

Thanks for your insight/advice!

I have been on The Sun and have another cruise booked for this Fall on Her in an inside. There are lots of outdoor spaces and indoor spaces to see the glaciers on The Sun. Personally, I would not spend the extra money on a balcony and spend that money on excursions.

Mandy

Hard to say, since no one here knows your financial situation -- "worth it" is such a relative term.

I've cruised Alaska in an inside. I've cruised Alaska in an aft suite. Comparing these, I do feel as though I missed something doing the inside. The ship, once it reaches the Inside Passage, is more or less constantly surrounded by landscape, and possibly wildlife in the water. Much to be said for having a cabin that opens up to the outside environment. Waking up to the sunrise over the sea... morning coffee on the balcony...

I plan a budget for what we want to do, and create a saving plan to match it. "Worth it", as I said, is relative, and only you can know what your financial tolerance is, unless you post your financials!

20d1-1024x682.jpg

Wife and I only cruise with inside cabin... Use the cabin to sleep and cleanup..

Plenty of places to view the scenery onboard the ship..

We prefer to spend our vacation dollars on other things that we feel or more important to us...

I know others feel the outside cabins are what is important to them.. Glad we all have a choice...

When I did the Alaska cruise on Pearl I had an OV, if I do it again I will most likely get a balcony unless it is way over priced. It would be really nice to watch the trip through Glacier Bay from the balcony than fighting for a good space by the rail on deck. If I remember right the narration for the trip through the bay was also on the in cabin speakers.

We recently booked the same itinerary on the Sun in 2016 and started looking at mini-suites (pricing similar to DCL) and ended up booking an Ocean View - which saved over $2K for the 3 of us and frees it up to use on excursions and post-cruise land tours. Just the difference between and OV and a Balcony was $1300 - which would more than pay for all of the ship-based excursions we might be interested in (not that we're going with ship-based excursions...). With the window, we can at least see outside, but we're very used to spending most of our awake times in public spaces, so spending the time on deck will not be a hardship.

I've never sailed Alaska, and I've never sailed NCL (so far, DCL only - though we keep trying to book something else!) but we've usually sailed insides and ocean views, and honestly for the most part, I'd rather save on the room so I can spend on the rest of the vacation. We're going on a 12n cruise in the Baltics this summer, and we're doing it in an inside. I plan to spend a lot of time on deck watching the scenery, watching us pull into and out of ports, and just enjoying the view.

To me, quite important. A few years ago I took a solo cruise to the Norwegian Fjords, I booked an inside cabin to save money and regretted it. It was difficult to find a comfortable seat with a nice view. All of the best viewing areas were crowded, and taking a decent photo was nearly impossible.

I'm taking another Fjords cruise in June, and this time I'm springing for the balcony.

I think Alaska and Norway are similar in that the scenery is the main attraction.

It all depends on how important the scenery is to you, and what you're willing to put up with. I'm very much looking forward to watching the scenery in peace from the front row of my balcony.

We did the Sun Northbound last year and did have a balcony which was very nice. However, also very nice on the Sun, is the forward observation lounge that has windows forward, port and starboard. On the scenic cruising days, in our case Glacier Bay and Hubbard glacier, the observation lounge was very nice. They provided coffee, tea, and nibbles and you could sit around at tables and chairs to enjoy the eats while also viewing the scenery. The observation lounge also has doors to the exterior where you can go stand against the railing. It was pretty crowded so get there early if you go with the Inside cabin.

While we were sailing Oosterdam in Alaska and not NCL, we loved having our verandah and used it very often. We were very fortunate to have fabulous weather almost our whole cruise.

Our first trip ;) to Alaska happened in September of last year and on a Princess ship, but anyway...we had an obstructed ocean view cabin.

I loved that we could look outside while we were in the cabin getting ready, dropping/picking up items, looking out at the scenery in the moonlight late at night. Honestly, even if we'd have had a balcony we wouldn't have spent much time on it as we loved being able to walk from port to starboard, forward to aft, upper decks to lower decks in order to get different perspectives, sights, etc. Seriously, we roamed the ship a lot on that cruise what with the scenery changes, the wildlife viewing changing from one direction or another, etc. Surprisingly, we had very good weather during the cruise so spent the vast majority outside and moving around. We ate all our meals in the buffets so did a lot of viewing from there, too :).

When we go on another Alaskan cruise, my first preference will be an ocean view, and if that's too expensive, I'll go for an inside cabin. I just can't picture hubby and me wanting to stay put in one place when we know so much variety is out there.

Have a fabulous cruise!

Didn't use my balcony much. Too cold and windy sitting out on the balcony most of the trip.

This is why, in Alaska, it's all about the aft!

You can sit out there while underway during a rainstorm and really not get wet and. We spend tons of time on our aft balcony. No wind to speak of, so one can sit out there when other outdoor decks are cold and empty.

Edited by triptolemus

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Unfortunately, it's not making my decision any easier!!

Sorry I can't go into details of my income, LOL. I can afford solo travel (I did a combo land trip/cruise in Hawaii last year, and that was QUITE pricey). But upon returning from my trip last spring, I had to invest quite a bit in unexpected home repairs, which I'm still paying down.

I was actually planning my Alaska trip for 2016 when my sister and her fiance announced that they are getting married in Hawaii next year, so I'm going back (no cruise this time). Days before I was going to book my Alaska cruise, I had to put those plans on hold.

My cruise will cost twice as much as most of you pay, since I'm sailing on my own (which I really enjoyed in Hawaii -- I met new friends via CC but could make my own decisions and set my own pace) so choosing my stateroom is really important. I'd love to sit on a private balcony to see Glacier Bay, etc., but is it really worth an extra $1,000 or more?

Worth It is really a relative term.... We had a balcony for our Alaskan cruise. It was also our first cruise. Often now we do get insides instead so we can cruise more often. For Alaska it was nice to see the glacier from the balcony, however, we rarely used it otherwise because it was just too cold. Even when we were viewing the glacier we watched some of it on the TV in the room because we couldn't see everything and it was too cold. If I were going again, I would pick an inside and spend money on excursions. I think your idea about that is spot on. The Sun has the wonderful observation lounge forward and the Great Outdoor aft plus lots of other inside and outside places for viewing. I can't imagine you will not find a place to get a good view or two. We saw a lot more of Alaska from the views not from our balcony; including a whale along the side of the ship we watched from the buffet windows.

I'm planning a solo Alaska cruise for 2017 -- my favorite itinerary is the NB cruise that includes Glacier Bay. I would love a balcony but essentially will be paying double since I'm cruising on my own. An inside stateroom would be more affordable for sure. I've had balconies before and they are great -- but I've also cruised in a solo stateroom on the Epic and Pride of America and those are just fine for port-intensive cruising.

I think the main differentiator here is the scenic cruising days through Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. I'll definitely want to be in a good place to view the scenery. If I have a balcony, I'll be comfortable and guaranteed a clear view (though I won't be able to see the other side of the ship). If I have an inside stateroom, I'll need to go on deck or find a viewing area with windows. The advantage to that is that I can move around more to get the best view -- the downside is that I'll be competing with others for railing/window space.

For those of you who have cruised this itinerary -- do you think it's worth the extra money? For me, the balcony could end up costing me over $1,000 more than an inside.

Thanks for your insight/advice!

a word of advice? i would get the inside stateroom and then get yourself a spa pass. which can cost from 129 dollars to 150. They have the greatest view. Is quiet, you can read, and be looking at the passage. We did that when we did the Panama canal because we always book inside stateroom. I hope that helps to save some money :-) Make sure when you check in and go inside the ship to go directly to the spa because usually they only reserve 250 passes at a discounted price. So first come for go basis :-) Good luck

Edited by qtaromar1970

Thanks, I have booked a spa pass on other cruises. I wasn't sure about the spa on this ship... are you sure that it has a good viewing area? Is it a balcony, or just a window?

Edited by OhJinkies

Thanks, I have booked a spa pass on other cruises. I wasn't sure about the spa on this ship... are you sure that it has a good viewing area? Is it a balcony, or just a window?

well i have not been on the Sun. I have been on the GEM, Jewel, Star and i have always taken the spa pass because the view are large windows from floor to ceiling either at that front of ship or back of ship. No balconies just windows and there are recliner chairs in front of those windows where you sit...( quiet rooms) so the best views...I don't know about the sun though.One thing is for sure have not been disappointed yet. Since the Sun, Star and Sky are same fleet i would think the spas are the same design. I hope that helps

Edited by qtaromar1970

Hard to say, since no one here knows your financial situation -- "worth it" is such a relative term.

I've cruised Alaska in an inside. I've cruised Alaska in an aft suite. Comparing these, I do feel as though I missed something doing the inside. The ship, once it reaches the Inside Passage, is more or less constantly surrounded by landscape, and possibly wildlife in the water. Much to be said for having a cabin that opens up to the outside environment. Waking up to the sunrise over the sea... morning coffee on the balcony...

I plan a budget for what we want to do, and create a saving plan to match it. "Worth it", as I said, is relative, and only you can know what your financial tolerance is, unless you post your financials!

20d1-1024x682.jpg

Hi there!

We have an aft suite on the Sun in a couple of weeks (29 days from Tampa to Alaska and back down to Canada). We are professional photographers, however we are concert photographers and just getting our feet wet in landscape photography. I am bringing a GoPro 4+ Silver just for kicks to see what I can pick up in video.

I shoot with a full frame Canon 6D and DH has a Canon T2i. We have a variety of lenses; obviously a lot of our lenses are used for low-light/fast shutter speed photography. We do have a couple of wide angle lenses.

If you would please be so kind as to let me know what kind of camera and/or lens you used for this brilliant photograph it would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you!! :)

And to OP ;) we have always cruised (except for working cruises where we are photographing bands) in an aft suite. Totally worth it, if you can jump on an aft balcony. If you book between passenger decks, it is quiet, covered, no wind (that's bad in very hot ports but great in colder climates). I know you're looking at spending $1000 more in your fare, however you may want to consider "Is this something I am going to do again or not?" If not, I'd definitely go for a balcony.

Have a lovely cruise!!!

:D

There is no spa pass in the Sun..

My favorite cruise destination I've cruised Alaska twice already, 7 days with HAL, then 14 days with NCL... whether balcony is worth it, it depends...

On the pro side, balconies are more premium in Alaska where starting from the inside passage, it's changing scenery from both sides like a moving painting with an opportunity to spot wildlife like bears, sea otters, humpback whales blowing or diving, orcas etc unlike other destinations where you see only sea most of the time.

AFT balconies are definitely worth it as you get to see both sides and you are more shielded from the cold wind during bad weather.

Regular balconies have pros and cons. Unless you have mobility issues, it is are somewhat limiting as you may miss what is going on in the other side unless you are on a scenic spot and the captain turns the ship around. To see everything, it might be better on the top or pool deck for the side views then moving around to mid deck for the back views or front views at the ship's bow (RCCL Radiance) or the viewing balcony in front of the observation lounge (NCL Sun) as needed to get the best scenery..that is what I usually do when I am in Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm or Hubbard Glacier..

And also it depends on the weather, side balconies tend to be more cold and windy than AFT so during less ideal weather, you may not enjoy the balcony at all.

One thing also to consider is if you are a light sleeper, Alaska from June to Aug have long daylights, so if you have trouble sleeping even with some little light, an inside will be more ideal for Alaska to get more sleep at night..because even if it is still bright outside at 10pm when you are nearing Whittier or Seward, close the light then it is total darkness.

Edited by roquejo

This will be our third year in a row on the Sun to Alaska. B to B that is. While we will shoot for a balcony room, we are currently in an inside family. As the cruise passes the final pay date and gets closer to the sail, there will be some very tasty price changes on the ship. Keep watching close. Book the inside and then watch EVERY day for any chance to move up for very little money extra, if any. Many of the best deals will be within one month of sailing or less.

They ship is indeed well set up for viewing and you will find plenty of places to watch from.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Unfortunately, it's not making my decision any easier!!

Sorry I can't go into details of my income, LOL. I can afford solo travel (I did a combo land trip/cruise in Hawaii last year, and that was QUITE pricey). But upon returning from my trip last spring, I had to invest quite a bit in unexpected home repairs, which I'm still paying down.

I was actually planning my Alaska trip for 2016 when my sister and her fiance announced that they are getting married in Hawaii next year, so I'm going back (no cruise this time). Days before I was going to book my Alaska cruise, I had to put those plans on hold.

My cruise will cost twice as much as most of you pay, since I'm sailing on my own (which I really enjoyed in Hawaii -- I met new friends via CC but could make my own decisions and set my own pace) so choosing my stateroom is really important. I'd love to sit on a private balcony to see Glacier Bay, etc., but is it really worth an extra $1,000 or more?

I've done a bunch of solo cruises, I know where you are coming from. That's the main reason I didn't have a balcony on my Alaska cruise.