Just Off the Getaway 03/28 - 04/04 Review

LSUalum

You seemed to have a good idea what the cruise would be like before you went on it. You knew about Vibe. Is there anything you would have done differently? i.e. made more reservations prior to the cruise?

I can't say that I am looking forward to being one of 4,000 + with a small pool and a few bars with most people having a beverage package, but like you said with the spa were there better times of the day for certain activities? Slides, rope course?

And did you say that the MDR was open for 2 hours?

Thanks

Neal

I made reservations for all the entertainment prior to boarding and it worked out well, however the theatre performances were never fill even burn the floor so I think all my reservations were in vain. Slides had an average of 30 min wait during sea days and I waited for 1hrfor the ropes course because my wife absolutely wanted to do it then and there. We just waited until the Nassau day. Stepped off went through the shops came back about 1.5 hours later and there was no wait for anything. As far as the MDR no I believe the dinner times were something like 530pm until 9pm. Flamingo Grill is only open for a few hours something like 230pm until 6pm.

I see no humor in the profiling of where people are from. Just dont think it should be encouraged IMHO

I was agreeing with a previous poster who thinks OP needs sensitivity training, not encouraging anyone, since I found his comment offensive about NY and NJ but didn't want to be aggressive in getting my point across.

I see no humor in the profiling of where people are from. Just dont think it should be encouraged IMHO

Some people care to know about the majority of the people you will be cruising with. For example I chose to sail out of Miami on NCL for two reasons: I figured the rude new york/Jersey crowd would sail breakaway and I also figured that NCL would have more younger couples ad opposed to princess/X.

People care about things like that and it's relevant to the review. Get over yourself.

Some people care to know about the majority of the people you will be cruising with. For example I chose to sail out of Miami on NCL for two reasons: I figured the rude new york/Jersey crowd would sail breakaway and I also figured that NCL would have more younger couples ad opposed to princess/X.

People care about things like that and it's relevant to the review. Get over yourself.

Pretty knowledgable for a first time cruiser..I got over this at the word "rude"

And then there's the SEC fans onboard to be avoided...:)

Am I the only person who has a problem with how the OP characterizes people they encountered on their cruise? What is the point of referring to a subset of pax as the NY Floating Retirement Home group, the LGBT group or the loud middle aged bar group, etc? I was enjoying the review until I read these comments. Why refer to Pete as an "old guy"? Sorry but either I need a thicker skin or the OP could do with some sensitivity training. I'm definitely in the older demographic and proud of it.

You forgot the part about the "Loud NY/NJers" of which I was a NYer on the same cruise in Vibe and NOT with any of the aforementioned groups and certainly not loud and obnoxious. And how the hell do you know the loud and obnoxious people were from that geographical location. I was on the same cruise and for a spring break cruise it was a bit crowded but to be expected when you choose this week to travel. So you are not going to get that special individualized attention on any cruise with so many people. Maybe with your snobbish attitude and only in your 20's you will learn a little humility. These workers on this SAME CRUISE that I was on were very pleasant and provided excellent service. Again, working 7 days a week serving unappreciative people like you can make one a little sour each day.

Again, I'm not an NCL apologist because there were lots of things that could be improved but overall the service was fine. Maybe a private yacht is what you need for your next cruise because with 5000 people you most certainly are going to encounter kinks.

One thing I definitely agree with is Tyler should have been the cruise director.

Were you the rude people who snuck into Vibe on the 3rd sea day with no wrist bands? Then proceeded to give the attendant attitude when in the performance of his duties asked you for your wrist bands to be put on? Then rudely told him that you never got wrist bands but it was "on your card". Being from Ny I hear and see everything. Of which I was pissed because he never kicked your asses out and the rest of us PAID. Fits your MO and your age was right around late 20's. Then you had the audacity to ask the same guy for a huge umbrella. You didn't even know who handled the umbrellas. Which means you were not in Vibe at any prior point. HMMMM Nice job sneaking in.

Don't feel bad, though I was not on this sailing if I were I would be considered one of the "loud mouthed new york/new jersey cruisers who were annoying to say the least". LOL!

Well I just got off the Gem a week ago and many on this cruise were from New York/New Jersey and I found the group neither loud mouthed or annoying :) not to mention the fact even if I did I'd sure as heck would not get on CC & announce it unless I wished to get flamed !!! Personally I think it's rude.... Can't wait to see what the NY & NJ gang have to say about the Texan's :D

Surprised to read the comments about Joel as CD. I thought he was awesome. One of the best I've ever had. Honestly I rarely even pay attention to the CD, but Joel stood out as being exceptional and he was one of the most visible CD's I've seen on any ship. Always interacting with passengers. He seemed to love his job and it showed.

Surprised to read the comments about Joel as CD. I thought he was awesome. One of the best I've ever had. Honestly I rarely even pay attention to the CD, but Joel stood out as being exceptional and he was one of the most visible CD's I've seen on any ship. Always interacting with passengers. He seemed to love his job and it showed.

Not that he was bad....he was very good. I just thought Tyler when he did his events somehow was more charismatic and energetic. Joel was great too. Maybe I never have seen such a great assistant....even told him on the last night he should get his own ship as a CD. I didn't mean to disparage Joel in any way though and hope it didn't come across like that..but probably did. He was very good.

I was agreeing with a previous poster who thinks OP needs sensitivity training, not encouraging anyone, since I found his comment offensive about NY and NJ but didn't want to be aggressive in getting my point across.

sorry did not mean it negatively to you :)

Not that he was bad....he was very good. I just thought Tyler when he did his events somehow was more charismatic and energetic. Joel was great too. Maybe I never have seen such a great assistant....even told him on the last night he should get his own ship as a CD. I didn't mean to disparage Joel in any way though and hope it didn't come across like that..but probably did. He was very good.

Ok thanks for the clarification. I don't recall a Tyler on my GETAWAY cruise in January. Either he wasn't onboard or I just didn't notice him. Joel just stood out to me as being very charismatic. I was impressed with how often he was in the main lobby just interacting with passengers. The only other CD that ever stood out like that to me is Richard Spacey on Royal Caribbean (recently moved to Celebrity). He is the best I've ever experienced but honestly the vast majority of the time I don't even notice the CD.

I agree. He seemed to be everywhere and very involved. I thought he was a really good CD.

Am I the only person who has a problem with how the OP characterizes people they encountered on their cruise? What is the point of referring to a subset of pax as the NY Floating Retirement Home group, the LGBT group or the loud middle aged bar group, etc? I was enjoying the review until I read these comments. Why refer to Pete as an "old guy"? Sorry but either I need a thicker skin or the OP could do with some sensitivity training. I'm definitely in the older demographic and proud of it.

You're not the only one! Wow, I just joined this community and I am learning so much. But this is freaking rude!

Let me say Mr El Paso.. Am I to assume that all twenty year old men from there are schmucks? See I would never make assumptions or label! (BTW schmucks is being nice)

My house for Easter in Southern New Jersey. Some middle age, relatives in their 90's who are fabulous, and family who are gay. We laughed, we celebrated and rejoiced.

Maybe you will learn in your years to come and especially as a parent to not be so offensive.

You probably need thicker skin. I don't see anything offensive about the way the op described different groups of people.

I don't think I've seen those groups on trips yet... I see families and groups of friends, some are louder than others, and you know, some are gay, I've never found the need to categorize them like this though.

You probably need thicker skin. I don't see anything offensive about the way the op described different groups of people.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the thickness of anyone's skin you just have no problem profiling NY/NJ people as "loud mouths"? ... these boards have really gone down the drain, or should I say have been dragged down. Maybe the OP should cruise out of Houston or New Orleans might be a better fit. He shows a complete lack of class. This is not worth anymore time.

Egh, for what it is worth, I do think demographics can make a difference and although I don't quite understand the purpose of them in this particular review, I do think that they can serve a purpose...people can be overly sensitive to generalizations imo and of course everyone isnt going to be like that, but it doesn't mean it is instant harmful.

For instance, our first cruise out of Miami was on rccl and our ship ended up being probably 2/3s Hispanic, which was probably in large part from our departure port. We have absolutely nothing against Hispanic people, in fact, our son is Hispanic, but as a culture they are very family oriented and so many on this cruise were traveling in a group of twenty or more. It made things like getting through tight spaces like the promenade or trying to get onto an elevator very difficult with the large groups. It certainly gave us pause before booking Miami again.

That being said, I am sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise...to each his own, we have been to all inclusive and while we enjoyed the upscale atmosphere and ability to drink what we wanted, we were bored stiff with just being stuck at one place and found the entertainment awful. We love visiting different places and having lots of activities. We also like the fact that you can in many ways choose your price...we have sailed in an upper/lower on an older ship and a balcony on a newer one based on our budget and had a blast every single time.

Egh, for what it is worth, I do think demographics can make a difference and although I don't quite understand the purpose of them in this particular review, I do think that they can serve a purpose...people can be overly sensitive to generalizations imo and of course everyone isnt going to be like that, but it doesn't mean it is instant harmful.

For instance, our first cruise out of Miami was on rccl and our ship ended up being probably 2/3s Hispanic, which was probably in large part from our departure port. We have absolutely nothing against Hispanic people, in fact, our son is Hispanic, but as a culture they are very family oriented and so many on this cruise were traveling in a group of twenty or more. It made things like getting through tight spaces like the promenade or trying to get onto an elevator very difficult with the large groups. It certainly gave us pause before booking Miami again.

That being said, I am sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise...to each his own, we have been to all inclusive and while we enjoyed the upscale atmosphere and ability to drink what we wanted, we were bored stiff with just being stuck at one place and found the entertainment awful. We love visiting different places and having lots of activities. We also like the fact that you can in many ways choose your price...we have sailed in an upper/lower on an older ship and a balcony on a newer one based on our budget and had a blast every single time.

All do respect "hispanic is an ethnicity, loud mouth ny/nj is an insult. Demographics are fine this was just ignorance.

Safe travels to all from a woman born and raised the greatest city in the world.

I read what you write, I read it again & I shake my head .....no words!!!

Meh, I live in NJ. Anyone who thinks the stereotype of loud NJ/NYers isn't true, hasn't lived anywhere else long enough to realize that the stereotyoe exists for a reason. People here are in general interpreted as loud/rude to those who are not used to the local culture are submersed into it.

I myself, after living here for 15 years, have to remember to tone it down when I travel. It's part of the joy of traveling, appreciating other cultures.

Meh, I live in NJ. Anyone who thinks the stereotype of loud NJ/NYers isn't true, hasn't lived anywhere else long enough to realize that the stereotyoe exists for a reason. People here are in general interpreted as loud/rude to those who are not used to the local culture are submersed into it.

I myself, after living here for 15 years, have to remember to tone it down when I travel. It's part of the joy of traveling, appreciating other cultures.

I work in a tourist trap destination in NYC - trust me, everyone is a pushy loudmouth not just NY/NJers, from the French to the Floridians.