Great Stirrup Cay Question

The only thing included is the beach day...loungers, lunch and fun! If you have to pay for it on the ship, you'll pay for it on the beach...like sodas and alcohol....some folks will bring a blow up float, to avoid renting floats!

Is the snorkeling and the parasail included? TIA

If you bring you own snorkeling gear and life vest, you can snorkel for free. That's what we did.

We had to pay for the clamshell sunshade on GSC because of the limited shade on the island.

We love GSC! Enjoy your cruise.

No, but we found decent snorkeling along the rocks on both sides of the third beach. It is not a crowded area and there are some trees, so if you adjust the position of your chair (or move to another one) as the sun moves, you should be able to find a shady spot all day. We brought our own snorkel gear, so I can't speak to the quality of the rental stuff. You are a distance from the facilities on that beach, but we prefer that for a quieter atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...
Good to hear! We are planning to bring ours.

What kind of equipment do you use? Do you need a vest? We (me, hubby, and daughter) have never gone snorkeling before and aren't sure if we should rent at GSC or buy our own. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know if there are fish/ good snorkeling areas in the lagoon? We have a large cabana and are bringing snorkeling equipment but my littles are still too small for me to trust them swimming in open water - even with a life vest. I was hoping the lagoon would have 3-4' deep water where they might see some little fish (by the rocks, perhaps?).

What kind of equipment do you use? Do you need a vest? We (me, hubby, and daughter) have never gone snorkeling before and aren't sure if we should rent at GSC or buy our own. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Staying that close to shore, you don't need the vest, but that is, of course, depending on your swimming ability. If your daughter is young, then yes, definitely put the vest on her. You don't need anything elaborate. Just the mask and snorkel (usually sold in a set), the fins, and the vest. There are a lot of inexpensive sets that have all included. We have had ours for years, and bring them on every cruise. You can even just buy the mask / snorkel combo and rent the rest. The snorkel goes into your mouth, which is why we never rented, but plenty of people do rent the whole thing. Edited - I just others posting that you are required to wear the vest.

Edited by SissasMomE

We rented the cabana for $300.00 (two years ago). Split between three couples made it more affordable. Our cabana came with a choice of fruit tray or drink package. I think we tipped waiter and got both.

Cabanas are a 5-10 minute walk from food shelter and are well away from the crowd.

Do you need to wear a vest at GSC?

No, you do not.

If you are comfortable with your swimming ability you will be fine.

I did not use a vest. I was not bothered by anyone.

Edited by Medtech2

Staying that close to shore, you don't need the vest, but that is, of course, depending on your swimming ability. If your daughter is young, then yes, definitely put the vest on her. You don't need anything elaborate. Just the mask and snorkel (usually sold in a set), the fins, and the vest. There are a lot of inexpensive sets that have all included. We have had ours for years, and bring them on every cruise. You can even just buy the mask / snorkel combo and rent the rest. The snorkel goes into your mouth, which is why we never rented, but plenty of people do rent the whole thing. Edited - I just others posting that you are required to wear the vest.

Thank you! We'll probably buy our own. Can't wait to try snorkeling.