Which stateroom(s) would you choose?

Which would you choose in our situation on Freedom class ship? For a family with two girls ages 12 and 16:

Two connecting promenade view rooms or room 1400 D1 aft with extra large balcany about the size of a Jr Suite.

Balcony room is $250 more. Biggest drawbacks are one bathroom and no separate privacy or space from the girls. However, we've never had a balcony and this seems like a great opportunity to try!?

If it were any other balcony cabin, I'd say the connecting Promenade cabins. I've been in connecting cabins with our two sons before, and that's worked well for us.

But, 1400 is a very nice cabin, indeed, with an excellent balcony. You've identified the downsides, though: lack of privacy and only one bathroom.

If it were my decision, I'd go with the connecting Promenade cabins and use the $250 to pay for stuff onboard for the family. Having two separate, but connecting, cabins offers a great deal more flexibility that's worth a lot in itself.

One key factor for me is that I'm not a huge balcony fan. They're nice, but I don't have strong feelings for them as others do. Since you've not tried one, it may be worth trying it out for a week. At least it's a great cabin to try it out.

I agree with Marc.

I just booked a 6 day on the Freedom and A 5 day on the Navigator a d looked at that as an option. I went with 2 promenades on the Freedom and 2 virtual balconies on the Navigator.

I've had 1702 on the Liberty and loved the aft balcony but the privacy and the 2 bathrooms far outweigh the balcony.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Which would you choose in our situation on Freedom class ship? For a family with two girls ages 12 and 16:

Two connecting promenade view rooms or room 1400 D1 aft with extra large balcany about the size of a Jr Suite.

Balcony room is $250 more. Biggest drawbacks are one bathroom and no separate privacy or space from the girls. However, we've never had a balcony and this seems like a great opportunity to try!?

Another consideration is 1400 would have the girls sleeping together on a sofabed instead of having their own real bed in the connecting promenade cabins.

We just had a Promenade room on Indy and really liked it. While the balcony is nice, I would do as others suggested and save the money for other things. My wife and I worked fine in one bathroom together, but for your family I think the extra space would be a nice addition.

Agree with everyone here...when my kids were younger sharing the sofa bed wasn't a huge issue, but with teens we have "downgraded" from aft balconies to connecting outsides or promenades when cruising Freedom class. Two beds and two bathrooms really sell it for me. Can't sleep or take showers for formal night on the balcony! 😁

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Bear in mind that the kids do NOT care one wit about balconies! They will be out and about....kids don't "sit on a balcony and ocean gaze"...waste of money for kids. Freedom does have a few balcony/inside cabin connecting rooms...they are on either side aft....that could be a good value!

Edited by cb at sea

Freedom does have a few balcony/inside cabin connecting rooms...they are on either side aft....that could be a good value!

I second looking into this solution. We booked these on Freedom and it worked well. Best of both worlds. I think they are the last cabins on deck 8 and or 9.

Edited by KMagz

We have a corner aft balcony and the oceanview next door on deck 7 (not connecting but because they are beside each other it meets Royal's requirements for kids in their own cabin) booked for our Freedom cruise. The corner aft has a huge balcony that will be large enough for us all.

Edited by jtdlmc

For those suggesting corner balcony aft cabins paired with an inside cabin nearby. The system will not let me book a D1 or E1 balcony cabin for only two people. I have read on other threads that this is a new policy. Too bad:confused:

I'm not sure what to do. We were excited about the large balcony but did really like having two seperate rooms/bathrooms on our last cruise. Guess I'll leave it for now since these rooms are hard to get and see and watch for future promotions. Right now with BOGO being applied to 3rd and 4th passengers, this is the best deal if we want a balcony.

For those suggesting corner balcony aft cabins paired with an inside cabin nearby. The system will not let me book a D1 or E1 balcony cabin for only two people. I have read on other threads that this is a new policy. Too bad:confused:

I'm not sure what to do. We were excited about the large balcony but did really like having two seperate rooms/bathrooms on our last cruise. Guess I'll leave it for now since these rooms are hard to get and see and watch for future promotions. Right now with BOGO being applied to 3rd and 4th passengers, this is the best deal if we want a balcony.

If you call RCI directly they may be able to book you in with only two people. Some sailings are capacity controlled but not all. I could not book two people in the corner aft on the website but I called and they were able to do it.