Getaway Balconies or Star Suite?

macksmom395

OPINIONS NEEDED: Should I book 2 balcony rooms on the Getaway or a Deluxe Owner's Suite on the Star? I will be traveling with my spouse and our children (kids' ages from 5 to 13). My parents will also be joining us, in their own stateroom.

The only NCL ship I have been on is Breakaway. I understand that Getaway is much larger than Star, but since I have never been on one of NCL's older and smaller ships, I am a little nervous about what to expect. I have been on other line's small ships and liked them, but I guess that really doesn't mean anything!

In terms of price, they are basically comparable except for what I write below:

If we do the Star we get the UBP, UDP, $300 credit and some free gratuities. For Getaway we will only get UDP. I like Star's itinerary better since I have been to most of Getaway's ports, but it looks like Getaway is much better for children. What would you do?

OPINIONS NEEDED: Should I book 2 balcony rooms on the Getaway or a Deluxe Owner's Suite on the Star? I will be traveling with my spouse and our children (kids' ages from 5 to 13). My parents will also be joining us, in their own stateroom.

The only NCL ship I have been on is Breakaway. I understand that Getaway is much larger than Star, but since I have never been on one of NCL's older and smaller ships, I am a little nervous about what to expect. I have been on other line's small ships and liked them, but I guess that really doesn't mean anything!

In terms of price, they are basically comparable except for what I write below:

If we do the Star we get the UBP, UDP, $300 credit and some free gratuities. For Getaway we will only get UDP. I like Star's itinerary better since I have been to most of Getaway's ports, but it looks like Getaway is much better for children. What would you do?

Just remember if you book the Deluxe Owner's Suite on the Star you will have access to breakfast and lunch in Cagney's which only suite guests can go to. If you're okay with doing breakfast and lunch there and your parents somewhere else, fine. If you're willing to give up eating Cagney's for breakfast and lunch to eat in the MDR or Buffet with your parents, fine.

But...that's something to consider. Unless, of course, your parents will also be in a suite.

The Star was just refurbished and is smaller. The Getaway is larger without a doubt and does have more activities for kids outside, etc. The Getaway will also be more crowded.

You need to figure out what works best for you and your family. How important is the cruise ship to you and your children? How important are the ports for you and your children? How important are the suite perks for you if your parents aren't in a suite? Also, how important is some privacy for you and your wife with everyone all in one room or having connecting balcony rooms?

Good luck on whichever you choose and have a great cruise!

Harriet

Unless, of course, your parents will also be in a suite.

Also, how important is some privacy for you and your wife with everyone all in one room or having connecting balcony rooms?

Harriet

Thanks for responding so fast! Yes, my parents would be in a suite as well, so having to choose between them or the "suite life" would be a non-issue.

dh and I would actually have more privacy in the suite since it is a two-bedroom DOS so we would have our own master bedroom. In the balcony, one of our kids would be with us.

I know no one can decide how important the on-board kids' activities vs. the ports would be for my family specifically. I do appreciate your wording it so succinctly. You are right. It really all comes down to whether it is more important to have kids' activities vs. ports!

On that note....what ARE the kids' activities on the Star? I know it lacks the waterslides, but what does it have? Does it have anything?

On that note....what ARE the kids' activities on the Star? I know it lacks the waterslides, but what does it have? Does it have anything?

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/star/whats-on-board/Activities

Planet Kids

Totally zoned for kids. There's arts and crafts at Doodles, movies to watch at Flicks, computers and games to play at Clicks and Snoozes, an indoor mini jungle gym and a quiet place for toddlers.

Splash Down Kid's Pool

The Splash Down Kid's Pool is just right for pint-size splashing, playing and paddling with space age rocket slides, a paddling pool and a hot tub

Teen Club

A hip place for teens to hang out. It features a video wall, jukebox, football table and air hockey. By night the Teen Club turns into a teen

Video Zone

Stop by the video arcade and capture a few aliens, win a car race, play pinball and fly a jet fighter.

Harriet

Thanks for responding so fast! Yes, my parents would be in a suite as well, so having to choose between them or the "suite life" would be a non-issue.

dh and I would actually have more privacy in the suite since it is a two-bedroom DOS so we would have our own master bedroom. In the balcony, one of our kids would be with us.

I know no one can decide how important the on-board kids' activities vs. the ports would be for my family specifically. I do appreciate your wording it so succinctly. You are right. It really all comes down to whether it is more important to have kids' activities vs. ports!

Since you have been on the Breakaway, the Getaway is very similar. If it is more or less the same price, I would go for the sweet suite life on the Star.

Here is some information regarding activities on board (on the bottom the kids club is listed):

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/star/whats-on-board/Activities

Edit: Sorry about posting more or less the same information as "hpercorari", we were posting it at almost the same time....

Edited by TrumpyNor

The Star does have 2 Waterslides at the main pool :)...although they are not very fast, I think Dawn is the one without waterslides. Also the kids splash area in the back of the ship has a mini waterslide for Kids as well

I would take the suite on the Star, no contest! I have not sailed on Getaway, but have been on Star, Dawn, Gem and Epic. Star and Dawn are definitely my favorites. Have a 2 bedroom suite (my first suite) booked on Dawn for next summer.

As a parent, I would feel better about having my children in the suite with me rather than a balcony. I am not saying that your children are not trustworthy at all! I just know what my sister and I would have done if we had our own balcony when we were 5-13 yrs old. I know that we would have LOVED it - my parents, not so much.

I have a 9 yr old boy and I wouldn't feel comfortable with letting him have access to his own balcony even though he's a good kid. But that's just me.

All kids really need is a pool to keep them happy in between ports. :)

Since you will have more privacy in the suite, I vote suite.

As a parent, I would feel better about having my children in the suite with me rather than a balcony.

Understand your point because I used to be petrified of having the kids in a different room, but at this point, we have sailed several times with the kids. We always get adjoining balconies and leave the door b/t the rooms opened. There is a safety latch on the sliding doors that my younger ones can't get to.

Understand your point because I used to be petrified of having the kids in a different room, but at this point, we have sailed several times with the kids. We always get adjoining balconies and leave the door b/t the rooms opened. There is a safety latch on the sliding doors that my younger ones can't get to.

Good to know! I had no idea. I still vote for the suite bc of privacy.

We just got off the Star (March 29th - April 5th sailing). I have a 7 year old son and a 12 year old daughter. My daughter did not participate with the Splash Academy, so I cannot give an opinion for her, however, my Son loved the Splash Academy and enjoyed being there whenever it was opened. I must say this, though, because of the size of the ship, the center is smaller and they can only take a maximum of 50 kids in his age group (6-9). Twice he was turned away and had to come back later after someone left. He was okay with that, but with over 800 kids on-board (all ages), I'm sure some were very disappointed and not able to participate in the activities, jmho of course. Granted we were on-board during Spring break, so there may not be that many kids on a regular week, but we found ourselves arriving for the kids place about 30 minutes early every time just so he could be there.

As far as pools go, there was a good pool area for the younger kids. We did not go to the bigger pools, but there are 2 small water slides there and it seemed folks were having a good time and enjoying them.

Personally, I think the Getaway appears to have so many more options for the kids, even if they cannot get in the kids center. I don't know this first hand, because I have not sailed the Getaway (but I'm about to book it for October 2016 - hopefully. :D )

All my personal opinion, of course. We had a great time on the Star, but we are a laid back kind of family and enjoyed just hanging out on our balcony and reading. ;)

We have three kids ages 8,12 and 14 who will not join kids clubs. We haved sailed on the Star twice and the Breakaway once. On the Star we were in a suite but on the Breakaway we were in two Ocean view rooms. There is a lot to do on the Breakaway but we found that 4800 people was too many for us. The children voted last cruise that they preferred the suite perks to the extra room and activities on the larger ship. We also love the Western Caribbean itinerary.

The only complaint that my then 10 year old had about the Dawn was that it didn't have a waterslide (not totally true, it has a couple small ones in the kids pool but he was pretty much too old for them at that point). He was jealous when we were moored next to the Star (Dawn's sister ship) in Cozumel because he saw the slide(s) on the main pool. Other than that he loved the Dawn, and asked to go back on it and do the exact same itinerary in the same cabin (we are on a deck 11 mid-ship mini-suite). He had zero interest in the kids club, and never used it on the Dawn. He will be 13 on our Getaway cruise, not sure if he will try the teen club or not. I'm the one who decided to try Getaway, on a different Western Caribbean itinerary this time. I guess time will tell if I made a good choice!

The kids would love the Getaway. Multiple water-slides that rival many water parks, ropes course, rock climbing wall.....it just has so many options! I know many people think the suite's perks outweigh everything else. We have been on over 20 cruises and never had a suite....maybe that would spoil us. For us, the cruise is the best part whether we are in an inside or a balcony. When our children were 10, 13 & 16 we all shared an inside cabin deep in the bowels of the ship....and my 3 boys got along better than any other time! I would rather go on twice as many cruises in a cheaper cabin, but that is just my opinion.

I had to make the same decision on Getaway or Star for our Thanksgiving 2016 cruise. We could cruise in 2 interiors on Getaway or 1 Family Suite and 1 Interior on the Star for the same price. Itinerary is the same almost. We have 6 kids between us (8,10,12,13,15,19 at sailing) and decided on Star due to the suite perks, UDP, UBP, gratuities for the first two people and space for the kids to spread out. I am sailing Getaway this November and although there are more kid activities on board, we are about the ports. Will be our first suite but also our first cruise as a blended family.

For the same price I would go with a suite. Family bonding time is a plus :-)

Thanks for posting pp. We're also doing a blended family cruise on the Star Thanksgiving 2016. We only have 1 suite though as it's 4 kids instead of 6. Dh and I talk about having #5 but it's hectic as it is! Plus our youngest is 5 now so seems silly to have a tiny one when kids are busy growing up.

I also priced out Sailings from Miami opposed to Star, and couldn't make the price difference worthwhile. The only way I think I'd be able to enjoy a ship that big would be on the Haven, and it's a little too pricey for us to cover 6 people.

abbyar how cool! Blended family suite cruise! :-)

How old are your kiddos?

Thanks for posting pp. We're also doing a blended family cruise on the Star Thanksgiving 2016. We only have 1 suite though as it's 4 kids instead of 6. Dh and I talk about having #5 but it's hectic as it is! Plus our youngest is 5 now so seems silly to have a tiny one when kids are busy growing up.

I also priced out Sailings from Miami opposed to Star, and couldn't make the price difference worthwhile. The only way I think I'd be able to enjoy a ship that big would be on the Haven, and it's a little too pricey for us to cover 6 people.

We were on the April 5 on the Star, in a DOS.

DS is almost 4, so that changes things.

He loved the kids club but the previous poster was not kidding about how full it got, especially for 6-9 year olds. People got in line 30 minutes before it opened, three times a day. And since the DOS is at the opposite end of the ship, we got plenty of walking in.

They did regularly take the 6-9 group and the 10-12 group outside to the sports deck to play. That required closed toed shoes.

Agree about the water slides in the main pool being slow. Sometimes a plus. They had ice cream stations at both the kids pool and the main pool every afternoon. That was fun.

There's a hot tub in the kids pool area that was a nice way for many parents to hang out and supervise their children. Regular chairs along the sides as well.

The ping pong table and the giant chess board always seemed in use. Shuffleboard not so much. And there was a Wii during the afternoon in one of the (closed at the time) bars on deck 7. Used by kids rather than teens whenever we walked by.

We definitely enjoyed the convenience of the second bedroom and second bathroom. Even the larger living area when DS was running around unwinding. Also to have a table and chairs for room service. Because of the kids club scheduling issues, sometimes we ordered him room service breakfast or dinner. We did not use the tv and DVD player in his room but I could see that being a nice option for older kids after a busy day.

Let me know if I can provide anything else!