your mom called-she wants a vacation email from ncl

CruiseScrooge

LOL, give them a "D" grade for trying to draw attention - and it made no reference to charging or not charging a convenience fee or delivery charge. :D:D

Lately, there's not a single day without another NCL email spamming the Google In-Boxex, fortunately - we have couner measures to deal with it, since we also have sub-accounts for not mom but SIL's & others who don't read emails. The pile of junk emails is just amazing matching those send by Priceline, right up there with eBay & Amazon - it's starting to get real annoying, other lines have deals & offers, but this is getting a bit too much w:mad:ith NCL.

Lately, there's not a single day without another NCL email spamming the Google In-Boxex... The pile of junk emails is just amazing matching those send by Priceline, right up there with eBay & Amazon - it's starting to get real annoying, other lines have deals & offers, but this is getting a bit too much w:mad:ith NCL.

Agreed. It has gotten insane.

LOL, give them a "D" grade for trying to draw attention - and it made no reference to charging or not charging a convenience fee or delivery charge. :D:D

Lately, there's not a single day without another NCL email spamming the Google In-Boxex, fortunately - we have couner measures to deal with it, since we also have sub-accounts for not mom but SIL's & others who don't read emails. The pile of junk emails is just amazing matching those send by Priceline, right up there with eBay & Amazon - it's starting to get real annoying, other lines have deals & offers, but this is getting a bit too much w:mad:ith NCL.

Sorta reminds me of Viking! :p

Like "CruiseScrooge" I also found that email to be darkly amusing as my Mom also is dead. Also, I'm sure that if she wants a vacation, she'd prefer Las Vegas to a cruise.

Given the average age of people who cruise, you'd figure that the NCL staff in marketing would realize that "your Mom called" might not be the best slogan for a cruise promotion. With Mother's Day approaching this campaign could be a little hard to take for people whose mother recently died. This is just my opinion.

I am starting to see the backlash to this campaign. There are upset people posting comments on the NCL facebook page and I can understand why, they should have word it better. Thankfully my mother is very much alive so is my 95 year old grandmother and they both could use a nice cruise :).

Edited by qtaromar1970

i just got it. i've got a pretty warped sense of humor and find it funny even though my mom died last year but darn it there must be a few people sleepwalking at the sales departments.

I was thinking the same thing this morning. My mom died unexpectedly 2 years ago. Thanks NCL for alienating your customer base.

I would assume the slogan is due to Mother's Day in few short weeks. Have to say at least with junk email that I receive from everyone, and not just cruise lines, it is easy to just hit the delete button without opening.

Saw this in my inbox this morning as well. Before I saw that it was from NCL, I was a bit taken aback by the line "Your Mom Called"... seeing as she died in 1992.

I get the whole "let's try to send timely message" thing... But this campaign/ message could definitely be construed as questionable.

Like "CruiseScrooge" I also found that email to be darkly amusing as my Mom also is dead. Also, I'm sure that if she wants a vacation, she'd prefer Las Vegas to a cruise.

Given the average age of people who cruise, you'd figure that the NCL staff in marketing would realize that "your Mom called" might not be the best slogan for a cruise promotion. With Mother's Day approaching this campaign could be a little hard to take for people whose mother recently died. This is just my opinion.

Whole-heartedly agree.

Whole-heartedly agree.

OK...Let's play devil's advocate and look at the broad picture then.

Would you also agree that "Kids Sail Free" is an insensitive promotion because it could be seen as upsetting to people who a) are unable to have children of their own, or b) whose children have recently passed away?

My mother passed away a few weeks before Mother's Day. A week after she died, I went to the mall and a perfume lady came up and wanted me to smell some perfume and said "I bet your mother would love this". I ran out of the store in tears and call a friend and told him how insensitive the store and the lady was to say that to me. I thought he would be on my side with me, but instead, he said. "Well, so everyone in the world should stop celebrating Mother's Day or promoting it, because you lost your mother, get a grip." It still bothered me, but I understood that the world does not revolve around me.

Holy smoke, people. Get a grip. It's a sales ploy around mothers day. My mother is dead too but it's just an ad.

Now, I guess they need to cut out their "kids sail free" sales in case it offends someone who has lost a child.

Yes, I get that, but they could have come up with a better subject line than "Your Mom Called . . ." Well if she did, that'd sure be scary!! I didn't realize it was about Mothers Day until I opened it. Bad marketing imho.

i just got it. i've got a pretty warped sense of humor and find it funny even though my mom died last year but darn it there must be a few people sleepwalking at the sales departments.

We all have or had a mom. It's a promotion, they can't possibly conceive of every little thing a hyper-sensitive person will find offensive. It's crazy to think Norwegian shouldn't have some Mothers Day promotion because someone lost their mom. I'll go a step further and say the NCL promotion was squarely directed towards living mothers....as a dearly departed mother could neither call them or go on a cruise.

We all know it sucks to lose a loved one. I lost a dear friend, but I'm not going to complain about Southwest Airlines friends fly free program.

Marketing shortcuts, in this case trying to use a cute tag line, can often lead to troubles because of the limited nature of the message - in this case one which directly refers to the recipient's mother.

Imagine if the ad stated: "Do you know a mother who deserves a cruise?" Much less specific, could be your mother, MIL, your wife, BFF or anyone else you're close to that is also a mother. And all of a sudden your message applies to a a larger target audience. That's marketing.

Edited by rpb718

Rpb718 makes an excellent point on how to broaden the target audience.

Do you also appreciate the succinct nature of the email title and how those first few (most valuable) word slots correlate to the medium on which their target audience will view it? I wager those first 3 words were chosen so that they would be viewed on any smart phone and create enough interest for the recipient to read the email.

It's awesome marketing. I don't normally read their emails, but I did read those first 3 words and even recalled reading them when I saw this thread. Beyond that, it is being discussed here, so they have residual utility from the email. The OP used it as his thread title, so even more will see it....that may have missed the email.

OP.....if you really thought the email title could cause pain to anyone who recently lost their mother.....please tell us why you used it as your thread title for the entire world to see? If you thought their directed email campaign could hurt someone, why would you use the exact same words for your title? Did you not do exactly the same thing? Are you heartless? If you are so in tune to people's sensitivities, how could you (with a clear conscious) title your thread with those cutting words? Your answer is certainly the same as NCL's, you wanted people to read your thread and hoped those words would accomplish your goal. Otherwise, you may have titled it "NCL Email Makes Me Think Their Marketing Team Or Firm May Be Sleepwalking". Yes?

I'm just harassing you in good nature, mostly because you are sort of making an issue about something you did yourself.

Wow, people are really getting upset about this? Mother's Day is coming up soon, so of course every single store, cruise line, vacation site, etc., are coming up with promotions for it and advertising them. If a Mother's Day promotion offends you, I guess you're going to just have to be selectively blind and deaf for the next month. This is like recently-divorced people getting angry over Valentine's Day promotions or someone who lost a child getting mad at NCL over an email about the Kids Sail Free promotion.

It's interesting ... some of you are complaining because of the volume of mail that you get from NCL. I have signed up for email from NCL several times. I've NEVER heard from them about anything. I've long filed that under "Customer Service."

Had I of received the email about "taking Mom on a cruise", I would have thought "Yes, I would have liked to take my mother on a cruise. And she would have enjoyed going." Giving that she died years ago, I am left hearing her say what she often did, "Thanks for thinking of me."

Get a grip, people; get a grip!