Bringing a guitar on board?

harveysnc

Hi all! I know this may seem random, but my son and my daughter's boyfriend want to bring their guitars on the cruise with us. They don't get together often to play together (we live in different states)and both enjoy it very much.

I have read the NCL website thoroughly and see no "rule" against it, but wonder where they may find unused and out-of-the-way space to play other than in the cabin. Any input?

Hadn't thought of it, but I guess it would be a clever spot for smuggling if you chose to do so. We will be driving to the port and they will have them in bags that carry on their backs so no problem with that. I guess really just wondering about places to hang out and play where they won't annoy too many other passengers.

The cabin is probably the best place....but during the day there will be plenty of "lonely" spots....they'll just need to wander about until they find it! Folks tend to gravitate to different spots on different sailings.

If they're very good, they may attract a crowd!

If there weren't other scheduled activities, I would say that the "Chapel" would be a great spot. It isn't actually anything more than an open room with chairs unless there is a specific service going on. Also, some meetings (non religious) are held there.

It is a nice and private spot, and I can't see anyone minding it being used so long as they aren't overly loud or overlapping on a time when the space is supposed to be used for something else.

Earlier this morning, my wife was sharing a story about her encounter with a group of folks hanging on deck 7... three or four of them... with ukuleles.

Bring the guitars... as others have said, it can make for a good time and a genuine interactive moment. It's all good...

For a different perspective. Last year on the Dawn and the year before on the Jewel, each cruise had a guitar player guest on board. In both cases after the were found playing in a public area they were told to do their playing in their rooms. One was outside the buffet and the other was on a corner on the pool deck. For sure one of them got complaints (the one near the buffet). Not sure who got the other one. The one on deck played for one day and was asked to move the second day. The one by the buffet lasted about 30 minutes.

Perhaps it depends on the skill set of the player. Hotel director did comment there was plenty of ship provided entertainment on board.

Certainly they should be able to play in their room as long as there were no complaints from neighbors.

The cabin is probably the best place

I would have to disagree with this statement.... You never really know when people in cabins around you are going to be taking a nap, or maybe they are the type that sleep most of the day and are awake most of the night while out at sea. I am not a person that naps during the day, however I now have a toddler that would be napping at some point.

Just MHO though.

The one on deck played for one day and was asked to move the second day. The one by the buffet lasted about 30 minutes.

With respect to guitar players or any level of talent, I would not want that. There *is* a lot of entertainment on board... paid entertainment. People who bring instruments on board should be doing it for their own entertainment.

My husband plays with the washy washy folks every cruise. They seem to love it (but maybe they're just being polite to a passenger, lol), as do the passengers that come in and out of the buffet. He's never been asked to stop. He goes a minimum of one day, but often two or three, and plays from 12 to 2.

I am trying to understand this... I can see some friends hanging out and having a little private jam session somewhere on the ship (which may or may not draw attention). I can't fathom a random passenger scheduling himself for a 12-2 performance outside the buffet. Are we supposed to throw coins into a guitar case? NCL is being way generous if they allow people to do this. I'm sure most passengers would assume it's official music provided by NCL, and that could reflect poorly if the person sucks.

Thanks everyone. It sounds like it is hit or miss as to whether they can play outside of the cabin. They are very good but that still doesn't mean someone wants to hear them play. :) They don't really want to play in public areas (and possibly bother someone) but were more wondering if there are private areas that may be unused at different times during the day. They will bring them and see how it goes. :D

While the music on the ships has diminished in quantity and quality over the last few years, I for one see someone playing in their rooms as a definite no- no. While I relax or whatever in my room, the last thing I want is someone who has questionable ability playing music. Any music. Yes I know your son Johnny at 12years plays like Doc Severson only on the guitar, that is your idea because he is your son. To me, he sounds like scratching nails on a chalkboard. Why should I pay for a cruise to be serenaded at 2 am or during the day? Next , you will want to carry his piano onboard. Not to sound like an old grouch, but speaking from a cruise on Carnival in 2008, it ain't music to my ears at 1:30 AM.

Thanks everyone. It sounds like it is hit or miss as to whether they can play outside of the cabin. They are very good but that still doesn't mean someone wants to hear them play. :) They don't really want to play in public areas (and possibly bother someone) but were more wondering if there are private areas that may be unused at different times during the day. They will bring them and see how it goes. :D

Hi all! I know this may seem random, but my son and my daughter's boyfriend want to bring their guitars on the cruise with us. They don't get together often to play together (we live in different states)and both enjoy it very much.

I have read the NCL website thoroughly and see no "rule" against it, but wonder where they may find unused and out-of-the-way space to play other than in the cabin. Any input?

Jackparts, After reviewing these posts that I have written, I find it difficult to understand how you would think there was ever any intention to "serenade" anyone at 2:00 am. Also, "little Johnny" is a very gifted musician and not a child but I don't need to defend his abilities. The point is, I was respectfully asking for ideas about "private", "unused", "out-of-the-way" spaces and in all of my posts made it clear that they would not want to bother or annoy anyone. I'm sure you are a very nice person and didn't mean to come off like an "old grouch" but you certainly did. Thank you, however, for your input as it is what I asked for.

• Like 1

OP, your talking about a cruise ship sailing at capacity, if you find any private unused out-of-the-way spaces, please let us know.

Also if I want to hear music I'll go to the pool deck or bar where the band or DJ is playing and if I do not want to hear it I'll avoid those areas at the times advertised.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. Would they be allowed to go in there when it is unused to play together?

It all depends on the staff . Im sure they would be ok with it as long as they stay off the stage ( they always seem touchy about the stage , but thats another story).. I read in the stardust on occasion . Have never been asked to leave . And they certainly would not bother anyone in there.. The game room and Library are two others that are usually empty but they would have to respect those coming in to read or use those facilities .. They wont have any trouble finding a spot .;)