Bringing a guitar on board?

harveysnc

We'll be on the Getaway and with the friends and family promo, you are right, it will probably be a very full ship. If they can't find somewhere to play that won't disturb other passengers then they won't play. I believe though, that if they look, they will find places to enjoy their music without bothering anyone.

Thanks.

We'll be on the Getaway and with the friends and family promo, you are right, it will probably be a very full ship. If they can't find somewhere to play that won't disturb other passengers then they won't play. I believe though, that if they look, they will find places to enjoy their music without bothering anyone.

Thanks.

My son brought his ukulele and my husband a mini bass on our last Getawy. They played in our suite and on our minuscule balcony.

They also went to the upper sundeck.

They are both excellent musicians, and simply asked those nearby if their music was intrusive. It isn't as though acoustic instruments are going to even compete with the din on board!

There are much more annoying people aboard than guitar players. The drunken sods screaming by the pool with their jam boxes cranked come to mind. Just play it as you go and see what happens.

You will LOVE Getaway! Have a great trip!,,,

I agree with those who are saying the cabin is NOT the best place. Even if they play like they should be on an album, the people in the cabins next to them probably do not want to hear them. If I want to listen to music, I want to be the one choosing what music I listen to. If a neighbor is playing music in a cabin or balcony near mine I will hear it. It doesn't matter if it is 2 am or noon. Maybe I am napping. Maybe I an reading...doesn't matter, I don't want to hear YOUR music at any time. This goes for listening to music on your balcony as well. If you are not using ear buds, you are subjecting those around you to what you are listening to, and that is rude.

I play six instruments, but guitar is my favourite.

Any player worth their salt, and it seems like the OP's child is in this category, can play a guitar without being much louder than a conversation level if they choose.

By some of the responses, you'd think the kid was bringing on a Les Paul and cranking it through a Marshall stack. :rolleyes:

I'd say bring it aboard, but of course, be courteous and respectful at all times. I'm doing a B2B, and I can tell you, as someone who plays EVERY day, I will miss my Gibson! LOL :D

I play six instruments, but guitar is my favourite.

Any player worth their salt, and it seems like the OP's child is in this category, can play a guitar without being much louder than a conversation level if they choose.

By some of the responses, you'd think the kid was bringing on a Les Paul and cranking it through a Marshall stack. :rolleyes:

I'd say bring it aboard, but of course, be courteous and respectful at all times. I'm doing a B2B, and I can tell you, as someone who plays EVERY day, I will miss my Gibson! LOL :D

Does it really matter if they're super-loud or relatively quiet? By playing in their room, they're subjecting their neighbors to it, and I for one would be very irritated if my neighbor started playing music that wasn't to my tastes, and my only recourse was to leave the stateroom for which I paid. For example, there are plenty of country or Christian musicians out there that are technically very good, but that doesn't mean I want to listen to that type of music. Same for piccolo or ukulele music. The musician might be talented, but that doesn't mean that the music itself isn't like nails on a chalkboard to the other passengers.

Note: I don't have a problem with them using one of the unused clubs or something like that during the day. People can choose to come inside and listen to them or pass by without stopping. Just don't do it in the staterooms, where you might be disturbing your neighbors.

I get that people have a problem with noise within cabins, but really - if you turn your tv too loud or have loud conversations on the balcony it's the same thing. Though if it bothered you, you should let your neighbor know (nicely). You are on a ship with thousands of people, you shouldn't expect complete quiet during the day - same goes for hotel rooms.

That being said, on every 2 week cruise my husband & I do he brings his acoustic guitar. He plays in the room or on the balcony and has asked Guest Services about unused rooms during the day.

He has never had a problem with complaints. If there were some from our neighbors he would just find somewhere else on the ship to play that won't bother anyone.

With respect to guitar players or any level of talent, I would not want that. There *is* a lot of entertainment on board... paid entertainment. People who bring instruments on board should be doing it for their own entertainment.

So your saying by chance if Santana or Eric Clapton where on your cruise for vacation and had their guitars with them and wanted to play on deck just to relax, you wouldn't want that?

Honestly, I think it has to do with two commons: Common sense and common decency.

Both say if you are in a virtually unused area of the ship, and playing quietly, no problem. By the same token, playing in the card room when there are card players there, big problem. Playing outside the buffet, and being enjoyed, no problem. Playing in a MDR when people are eating, big problem.

And sorry, I just cannot think that a problem with you playing in your cabin, or on your balcony, should fall on the person(s) being disturbed. Unfortunately, common sense and common decency somehow get left by many pax at the embarkation desk. It IS an issue if you are overly loud on your balcony and annoying your neighbors....or you constantly slam your cabin door...or if you blast your television at all hours of the day and night. It is nothing less, frankly, than rude. Can't quite get why that is so difficult for some people to understand.

I'm a rank amateur guitarist who has considered brining my acoustic for practice (I didn't just because I didn't want to lug it through airports etc) and I agree that you should always be respectful of your neighbors regardless of where you are, what you're playing or how loud it is. Having said that, any acoustic guitar, unless played violently and/or accompanied by loud singing, is going to be less intrusive that a jacked television, a screaming child, a drunken adult argument, or music played too loud on a portable system - all of which I've had to bear. I'd suggest asking the crew about a meeting room (most or all ships have these; there's two on Pearl near Stardust), which are almost always empty, or just do it anywhere after asking those impacted if it's OK. ECCruise is right - common sense and common decency (courtesy) should be the rule. There are plenty of people on cruises lacking both without guitars. Have at it.

Hi all! I know this may seem random, but my son and my daughter's boyfriend want to bring their guitars on the cruise with us. They don't get together often to play together (we live in different states)and both enjoy it very much.

I have read the NCL website thoroughly and see no "rule" against it, but wonder where they may find unused and out-of-the-way space to play other than in the cabin. Any input?

On the Jewel class ships were get together rooms you could book. That was right next to a bar and dance floor area.

Anywhere else would not be good IMHO. I for one would not want to hear it at all. I don't care if you are Eric Clampton:)

Dear Op

My husband and son brought ukuleles on board. They played in our cabin and sat in Headliners and jammed with some other ukulele -totin' folks during the day-didn't bother anyone, and they were almost as good as " Eric CLAMPton:D"

During Howl at the Moon my son was asked to go on stage and play with them for 2 songs-one of the ukele totin' guys turned out to also be a Howl pianist and knew that my wild teenager was also an awesome guitarist.

So your boy should bring their guitars and have a blast. It's a cruise, not a cloistered monk convention.

And try Headliners.

And grouches- lighten up! The television is louder than a couple of acoustic guitars!,,,

Edited by PDIDDYwife

Back in my younger days.....about 30 years ago when I was in my 20's I took my trumpet with me. I signed up for the talent show and one day during practice the band asked me to join them one night. What a thrill that was playing with the band one entire evening!

Enjoy!

Harriet

I am trying to understand this... I can see some friends hanging out and having a little private jam session somewhere on the ship (which may or may not draw attention). I can't fathom a random passenger scheduling himself for a 12-2 performance outside the buffet. Are we supposed to throw coins into a guitar case? NCL is being way generous if they allow people to do this. I'm sure most passengers would assume it's official music provided by NCL, and that could reflect poorly if the person sucks.

Well, I don't know what's to understand. He wanted to do it, he did it, they let him. As the saying goes, I don't make the news.... I just report it.

Thanks everyone. It sounds like it is hit or miss as to whether they can play outside of the cabin. They are very good but that still doesn't mean someone wants to hear them play. :) They don't really want to play in public areas (and possibly bother someone) but were more wondering if there are private areas that may be unused at different times during the day. They will bring them and see how it goes. :D
After reading my post, I have to agree, I came across grouchy. Thanks for calling me on it. I read about the hit or miss outside the cabin and thought you meant they would play inside the cabin. Day or night, I prefer to hear and do what I came on the cruise for. To relax. Hearing music , not to my taste, would bother me. As for the grouchiness, on that cruise, I asked for the music to stop, called the desk and held the phone for them to hear, and also went to the desk to complain. Finally, others cruisers were fed up and we asked again for "little Johnny '' and company to quit for the night. Leaving no choice, we also explained that this was the last time we would hear them after 11 pm. So , again, sorry for sounding like a grouch, really am not.