Help with flavor additives allergy!

Karmalady

I am not even quite sure how to word my question. After months of extreme skin disturbances, I've been diagnosed with allergies to Fragrance 1 and Fragrance 2 Mix and Balsum of Peru. I've changed all my personal products I use such as makeup, toothpaste, cosmetics, hair products, etc. I can live with this although it would be not my choice. However; there is a cross over on fragrance to food and drink issues. Cinnamon, citrus, tomatoes, vanilla, citrus peels are also issues. I can pretty well figure what to stay away from on foods but what about drinks? I am not a heavy drinker at home but I do like to imbibe on cruises. What alcoholic drinks would be safe to drink specifically none with citrus or citrus additives or acid. ?:confused:

I am so hoping that someone out there is familiar with this issue and can guide me. I'm doing a girls cruise in May. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Stay away from the frozen drinks as they are all made from mixes.

Also no sours.

Stick to the classic cocktails like Gin Tonic (confirm what's in tonic) and shots. Most beer would also be good. Stay away from ShockTop (don't know if it's onboard) as it's brewed with oranges.

Wine might also be good

Might want to look through a cocktail book.

Edited by SadieN

Carnival lists what's in their drinks on the drink menu. I'd say to just check out what's in each one. I'm also allergic to citrus and I just pay attention to the menus or stick with things I know like beer, hard alcohol and non fruit juice mixers. You can also order bottles for your room from Port Side Liquors so you have something in your room that you can mix. If you can have ginger ale that's a good mixer. Have fun! When in May are you going? Me and my BFF are on the Freedom May 16th. :)

Thanks for your suggestions. I found a Carnival page that listed drinks and ingredients and it looks like I am pretty much out of luck on mixed drinks as all but a few have citrus in it. Oh well, I can have wine or beer. I might be able to throw in a pina colada as well. Thanks! We are sailing on The Carnival Triumph May 4.

Carnival lists what's in their drinks on the drink menu. I'd say to just check out what's in each one. I'm also allergic to citrus and I just pay attention to the menus or stick with things I know like beer, hard alcohol and non fruit juice mixers. You can also order bottles for your room from Port Side Liquors so you have something in your room that you can mix. If you can have ginger ale that's a good mixer. Have fun! When in May are you going? Me and my BFF are on the Freedom May 16th. :)

DO NOT be so sure that you will be fine. The OP lists too many things to make such a broad statement.

OP, the best suggestion regarding adult beverages is that if you don't drink it at home, don't drink it on the ship (the ship is not the place to experiment).

Be very careful of all tropical drinks due to the vanilla issue.

Ask the bartender the ingredients in any drink you are ordering

That should be your best source.

Perhaps a little research in advance.

Google your favorite drinks prior to your cruise and see what is suggested as ingredients

in each.

If you use a Kindle, or have a smartphone you can load the Kindle app on, I suggest you buy a book of cocktails and suss out which ones you can drink.

By having the recipe on your Kindle/phone you can show it to the bartenders.

You should be OK with classic martinis with an olive not a twist. A negroni without the orange peel garnish might work. A brandy alexander would make a nice after dinner cocktail.

Time to make the bartender your best friend ;)

They can leave citrus out of the drink in some of them, but you'll have to go direct to the bartender, tell them about your allergy and watch them make your drink. Watch with sodas, too. Sometimes they'll throw a lemon or lime slice in as a garnish.

Expect to get some odd looks when you tell them about your allergy, people are used to hearing about nut allergies, not fruits. DS is allergic to orange citrus and I'm allergic to mangos :(

Most unflavoured hard spirits (Scotch (not bourbon), Vodka, Dark and light rum) should be fine and you could bring your own mixers on board that did not contain Vanilla/Cinnamon etc as I know Coke, tonic water and Lemonade would be a no go for you.

I would suggest Gin too but with its Juniper berry content I am not sure of citric acid content.

This sounds bizarre but if you found any Milkshakes that did not have vanilla in you could bring those on board and make Vodka milkshakes....yum yum.

Thanks everybody! Going to the bar is a good idea but still not sure what is possible without the citrus. The only thing I can think of is cranberry and vodka. And pina coladas are kind of like milkshakes if they leave out vanilla. LOL I'm not sure how I would react to pineapple. This is all new to me; I may have to experiment before I go. My old favorite carnival drinks were the sailaway, mojito, bloody mary. I like a little sweet but not too icky sweet. I enjoy beer and wine but both of those also cause reactions sometimes. Anyway, maybe the bartender can come up with something good. :)

Thanks everybody! Going to the bar is a good idea but still not sure what is possible without the citrus. The only thing I can think of is cranberry and vodka. And pina coladas are kind of like milkshakes if they leave out vanilla. LOL I'm not sure how I would react to pineapple. This is all new to me; I may have to experiment before I go. My old favorite carnival drinks were the sailaway, mojito, bloody mary. I like a little sweet but not too icky sweet. I enjoy beer and wine but both of those also cause reactions sometimes. Anyway, maybe the bartender can come up with something good. :)

Read a can of coconut mix that goes in pina colada. I'd be very surprised if there aren't some fruits in the mix. Surely there must be pineapple?

I was going to suggest cranberry and vodka but didn't think you could have the cranberry.

Edited by sail7seas

How fast do these things affect you?

I'm wondering if you could order something "super safe" like a simple white wine on the first night ... but have just a taste of a girlfriend's "questionable" drink ... and if you have a reaction, you mark off that drink. But never taste more than one drink, or you won't know which one caused your reaction.

Perhaps you could strike up a conversation with a friendly bartender at a low-drinking time -- like mid-morning, when they're first beginning -- and ask for advice.

Also, are your problems caused ONLY by food? I'm wondering if sun is one of your triggers. If so, you wouldn't want to mistakenly believe that ____ drink caused you trouble, when it was really the sun.

Edited by MrsPete

Read a can of coconut mix that goes in pina colada. I'd be very surprised if there aren't some fruits in the mix. Surely there must be pineapple?

I was going to suggest cranberry and vodka but didn't think you could have the cranberry.

You are probably right about the pina colada . It's just wishful thinking on my part. :cool:

I think I might could get by with a little cranberry juice like one drinks' worth. Not sure this is all so new.

How fast do these things affect you?

I'm wondering if you could order something "super safe" like a simple white wine on the first night ... but have just a taste of a girlfriend's "questionable" drink ... and if you have a reaction, you mark off that drink. But never taste more than one drink, or you won't know which one caused your reaction.

Perhaps you could strike up a conversation with a friendly bartender at a low-drinking time -- like mid-morning, when they're first beginning -- and ask for advice.

Also, are your problems caused ONLY by food? I'm wondering if sun is one of your triggers. If so, you wouldn't want to mistakenly believe that ____ drink caused you trouble, when it was really the sun.

The hardest part of all of this is not getting the Funship Drink of the Day when we board. I LOVE that drink. It says to me, that I am officially cruising.

I am not sure how fast things hit me, I think pretty quickly if it's a true allergy. I thought I was having lots of issues with possible food allergies but could not pin point it...turns out it is not the food usually but the sauce or flavoring. You know the ketchup on the fries, the sweet and sour sauce on the nuggets, the red sauce with shrimp.

The allergy to fragrance blew me away and I found out it is quite common. I can't even have mint in toothpaste or gum or candy so probably it's best I don't worry about drinking. <sigh> I just had a feeling that there were others out there with the same allergy that might have some insight or suggestions.

I've had a couple glasses of white wine with no issue; red doesn't seem to work anymore.

I don't think it's a sun issue with me; it's fragrance and flavorings.

Thanks for your replies!