Garment steamers

They used to be, but apparently, since a year or 2 ago they also have been restricted. That being said, I just go off liberty and brought mine with no problems. Reports on the forum of many others also bringing them on board.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/SALAV-TS-01-Black-Handheld-Garment/dp/B00I9INM28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428837881&sr=8-1&keywords=Salav+TS-01

dp

Are hand held garment steamers allowed on RCI ? Never used one on previous cruises, but thinking of getting one for next cruise, thanks

We have taken a small travel steamer with us for years with no problems, until last December on Explorer, when they would not allow it.

That garment steamers are among the items prohibited aboard...

Following is from the FAQ section of Royal Caribbean's website...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608

Celebrity prohibits their use too....

Statistics have now shown that 4% of maritime fires are caused by such heat generating electrical appliances.

As they can not start picking and choosing between models, there have been developments in manufacturing in recent years that make some small appliances more unsafe than others.

Another factor is usage. While some would use the products responsibly and correctly, others might not and it is a better decision to just ban them universally.

Ironic thing was at the time, they were available for purchase in the shop on board!

That is interesting. The shops on RCI ships and most other cruise ships are run by a separate company called Starboard Cruise Services, which is now a division of LVMH. (Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy) I am sure they are not there now, but can see how it would take time for this policy change to move through all divisions.

• 2 months later...