Canadians that have done an Amazon cruise

cruz chic

It my dream to do an Amazon cruise. The Prinsendam has one in November. I'm thinking about it since I'm unemployed as work deadlines always stopped me. Now it's the unemployment and lack of incoming cash:D. Since I may do it anyway I have a few questions.

1) Will I need a visa for this cruise?

2) Will I need a vaccination for this cruise?

I've tried to google but I'm not coming up with much helpful info. Perhaps it's the words I'm using. I just hope someone can point me in the right direction and I'll research from there. Thx so much.

I am not Canadian but we did the amazon and used the web site CIBT for visa info. You type in your citizenship and follow the pathway. We paid them to process our visa. You should consult with a travel medicine clinic for immunization info. We did this trip on Oceania and it was incredible. Yellow fever shot is recommended but not mandatory for Oceania. We met only one couple taking malarial meds. Not required and not needed per the Oceania Brazilian expert on board. He did fifteen one hour lectures on Brazil. It was like a college course.

Edited by sammiedawg

I am not Canadian but we did the amazon and used the web site CIBT for visa info. You type in your citizenship and follow the pathway. We paid them to process our visa. You should consult with a travel medicine clinic for immunization info. We did this trip on Oceania and it was incredible.

Thx so much for the info. I appreciate it:).

One thing we learned ignore all visa info on cruise critic and trip advisor. Rules change and vary by nationality. People posting their process will not necessarily mirror what you have to do.

The travel medicine clinic will also give prescriptions for meds to take, antibiotics and prn meds.

Edited by sammiedawg

I should add that the CDC site will err on the side of safety, and might recommend inoculations that aren't strictly required. Look at Mexico and select Cruise Ship Passengers to see what I mean. You should factor in what type of excursions or activities you'll be doing. For example, typhus & hepatitis vaccinations are probably overkill if you are looking for silver jewelry in Cozumel.

yes you need a visa. they are good fro 5 years. got at brazilian consulate in TO and it goes in your passport. we got ours when we did SA cruise last year and want to do the amazon one while its still good! did get my yellow fever, but DH didnt. we tried malaria meds before in belize and had adverse reaction to them, so stopped and wasnt necessary. HAL does amazon, princess used to, oceania does, but more $$.

Edited by catergirl

I should add that the CDC site will err on the side of safety, and might recommend inoculations that aren't strictly required. Look at Mexico and select Cruise Ship Passengers to see what I mean. You should factor in what type of excursions or activities you'll be doing. For example, typhus & hepatitis vaccinations are probably overkill if you are looking for silver jewelry in Cozumel.

Me, looking for silver jewelry in Mexico. I never do that :D;):D.

I am not Canadian but we did the amazon and used the web site CIBT for visa info. You type in your citizenship and follow the pathway. We paid them to process our visa. You should consult with a travel medicine clinic for immunization info. We did this trip on Oceania and it was incredible. Yellow fever shot is recommended but not mandatory for Oceania. We met only one couple taking malarial meds. Not required and not needed per the Oceania Brazilian expert on board. He did fifteen one hour lectures on Brazil. It was like a college course.

I just looked at that website. Wow, it looks like a pain to get a visa. You have to send your passport and I would have to provide back account and my tax info to them. I find that very odd.

yes you need a visa. they are good fro 5 years. got at brazilian consulate in TO and it goes in your passport. we got ours when we did SA cruise last year and want to do the amazon one while its still good! did get my yellow fever, but DH didnt. we tried malaria meds before in belize and had adverse reaction to them, so stopped and wasnt necessary. HAL does amazon, princess used to, oceania does, but more $$.

Thanks for the info. Looks like they have something in calgary but it's only a drop off :confused:.

As you can see we are doing the Amazon next Jan on HAL. Yes you need a visa and as mentioned they are good for five years & the last time we did South America we had to have a yellow fever shot or you where not even allowed on the ship, I think this has now changed. Your travel agent should tell you what you need.

Allan & Marlane

My daughter had to hand in her passport when she applied for a Visa to China. I think it had t be sent to Ottawa. She was concerned but it arrived back safe and sound in about three weeks. It seems for some countries, this is the only way. Let us know how it goes. DH and I are very interested in traveling to the Amazon.

As you can see we are doing the Amazon next Jan on HAL. Yes you need a visa and as mentioned they are good for five years & the last time we did South America we had to have a yellow fever shot or you where not even allowed on the ship, I think this has now changed. Your travel agent should tell you what you need.

Allan & Marlane

I no longer deal with a ta but thx. I'm not sure I would trust most of them in calgary since I've never found a good one. I had the yellow fever shot in 2006 and I think it's good for 10 years so I'm just under the wire.

My daughter had to hand in her passport when she applied for a Visa to China. I think it had t be sent to Ottawa. She was concerned but it arrived back safe and sound in about three weeks. It seems for some countries, this is the only way. Let us know how it goes. DH and I are very interested in traveling to the Amazon.

That makes me nervous too. I think that I'll likely not make a decision on this cruise until at least summer, maybe a little later. I don't want to push it.

Hi CC,

>1) Will I need a visa for this cruise?

YES. See http://toronto.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/visas.xml

It depends on the itinerary.

Some countries won't let you in if you have been to Brazil because of Malaria and/or Yellow Fever.

We would have gone to the Amazon last year, but The Insignia caught fire.

Ira

Hi CC,

>1) Will I need a visa for this cruise?

YES. See http://toronto.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/visas.xml

It depends on the itinerary.

Some countries won't let you in if you have been to Brazil because of Malaria and/or Yellow Fever.

We would have gone to the Amazon last year, but The Insignia caught fire.

Ira

Thank you so much.

Hi, CC!

Glad to have you back!

This is GREAT cruise. Go for it!!!!

I love South America. The Antarctic is my choice, but the Amazon is super, too. ALL those BUGS!!! Botos around Boca da Valeria!! Massive rain storms in Parintins, the Opera Douse in Manaus. Loved it all!!

We haven't done an Amazon for a few years, but we had to have Brazil visas and Yellow Fever vaccines. The visas now are apparently even more of a hassle than before. That said, a lot of people do South America cruises, so it is doable!

You have been given some good advice and good links. Please remember that, especially with HAL, things do change.

Enjoy the research!!

Hi, CC!

Glad to have you back!

This is GREAT cruise. Go for it!!!!

I love South America. The Antarctic is my choice, but the Amazon is super, too. ALL those BUGS!!! Botos around Boca da Valeria!! Massive rain storms in Parintins, the Opera Douse in Manaus. Loved it all!!

We haven't done an Amazon for a few years, but we had to have Brazil visas and Yellow Fever vaccines. The visas now are apparently even more of a hassle than before. That said, a lot of people do South America cruises, so it is doable!

You have been given some good advice and good links. Please remember that, especially with HAL, things do change.

Enjoy the research!!

Yes, the bugs. That will freak me out. I had no idea about this until I read a review about this a few years ago. I did Peru and Ecuador in 2008 and loved it.

Yes, the bugs. That will freak me out. I had no idea about this until I read a review about this a few years ago. I did Peru and Ecuador in 2008 and loved it.

Oh, the bugs on the ship freaked us out big time at first. All over the walls outside. Huge black beetles! Lovely moths and butterflies. A cricket and a bat tagged along, too.

What an experience!

You can get a Visa by yourself if you google Brazilian consulates in Canada,you have to get your Visa from the one that handles your province.The rules are different for each province I tried to get one in Ottawa a 2 hour drive away with easier rules then the Montreal office but was told I had to apply in my own province.The Montreal office wanted all sorts of financial reports that we were hesitant to give to a foreign country,needless to say we did not apply for a Visa.We were told to wait until the Olympics come to Brazil and that they might make the process easier or eliminate Visas.

Good luck with your plans and let us know if you get a Visa.

I just looked at that website. Wow, it looks like a pain to get a visa. You have to send your passport and I would have to provide back account and my tax info to them. I find that very odd.

If you have other trips planned requiring a passport you need to carefully time when you apply for the visa. We booked the March Amazon trip on New Years Eve, we started the visa process right away and we had everything done including the visa by February 1. The CIBT web site was recommended to us, it took a few hours to assemble our packet of info which we sent to CIBT to be checked and then submitted to the Brazilian consulate in Washington DC. It was easy to follow the web site for what to do and send. Don't be intimidated.

Americans have the option of going to a designated consulate to apply in person. It was worth the fee not to have to make a trip to DC. Canadians probably have similiar options. Americans can also mail their packet directly to the consulate.

Americans no longer have to submit banking documents.

Our cruise departed from Rio, we flew in three days early. Rio is world class, we loved it. We Stayed at the Sofitel on Copacabana beach, just fabulous.

It is worth it, Brazil is unforgettable and the Amazon is so unique. Just do it.

I've recommended this trip to many people

Edited by sammiedawg

We are booked on the Nov 24 Amazon cruise on the P'dam. The visa situation is VERY difficult it appears. I might not have chosen this cruise if I had known. For an American, the visa itself is over $100/pp. You have to fill out the form on line, print it out and then get an appointment to drop it off, with your passport, and your itinerary showing you're going to leave. (All parties must appear for the appointment if you do it yourself..we are in Los Angeles and there is a consulate about 30 miles from us) and then wait for it to be processed and then come back to pick it up. It also appears that you must enter Brazil within 90 days of the issue date of the Visa...so the timing gets to be very important for getting it. Using an expeditor service costs an additional $90 or so (maybe per person but I haven't checked that out yet). But at least for the a US citizen the visa is good for 10 years. And it is suggested, though no longer mandatory that you get a yellow fever shot.

So I've been researching...it could be an adventure before the trip even starts.

Rachel