Afternoon/Evening tour or things to do

a1836

I'm planning to do a bioluminous tour that is only available at night. I have friends that did it and they say it's absolutely gorgeous and considered one of the natural wonders of the world. I'll be there next week so if you are interested I can provide feedback when I get home.

I would love to hear about it. Someone I'm travelling with checked into it and said they only thing he could find required an overnight - maybe on a little close by island??? I don't remember exactly. I can't wait to hear about your experience!

Sherry

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I did the tour last week. It's impossible to see it in vieques if you are staying in san juan because that's on a different island. If you are in san juan you can see bioluminescence in Fajardo which is an hour ride from san juan.

Bioluminescence was a huge disappointment. 1st off, I wanted to do the tour by power boat but those companies do no provide transportation there from san juan and I did not want to rent a car and drive around at night in another country. Which turned out to be a wise choice.

The late kayak tour was booked so we had to go early. That's where the disaster began. The tour began in daylight so kayaking to the bioluminescence area was not difficult. The problem was it did not get dark enough to see the glowing water. Right as we were leaving the water finally began to glow. We literally saw it for 1 minute. The tour company is ripping people off for this early your.

Kayaking back in the pitch darkness was also disastrous.

So the bottom line is.....if u go early you don't see any glowing. If you go late you will see the beautiful glowing but kayaking is nearly impossible because you cannot even see your hands in front your face. Good luck to those who try it.

The kayaking begins in a park with tons of people around so it definitely felt like a safe area.

Wow - sorry I have to disagree. We've done the bio bay lots of times - always take the later tour if possible. We book in advance with kayaingpr - rent a car and drive out ourselves. We have had so many great trips. Yes, you are kayaking in the dark - following the glow lights on the kayak in front of you. We had a blast - just laughs when we ran into each other. The glowing is incredible!

I completely disagree also!

We rented a car to visit the Bio Bay and drove there at night from the Gran Melia Resort and found it to be completely safe and easy. It is a must in my opinion! The Bio Bay in Fajardo is beautiful and a natural wonder. We took the boat tour with BioIsland. But, you HAVE TO book in advance because they fill up fast! We also saw the kayakers which also looked fun, but a big workout. So, it all depends on what works better for you, but definitely consider the Bio Bay!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...