Ultimate beverage package with kids?

cathep

We've booked 2 rooms on a cruise across the 4 of us with the UBP included. Since each room's 2 occupants will be 1 adult and 1 child, I'm hoping the included UBP will allow for the kids to have the virgin versions of the adults' beverages (smoothies). I see in the fine print and in other posts that the kids who are 3 and 4th passengers get the soda package. Do you think there's the possibility that the kids can have smoothies included when they're the 2nd passenger?

We've booked 2 rooms on a cruise across the 4 of us with the UBP included. Since each room's 2 occupants will be 1 adult and 1 child, I'm hoping the included UBP will allow for the kids to have the virgin versions of the adults' beverages (smoothies). I see in the fine print and in other posts that the kids who are 3 and 4th passengers get the soda package. Do you think there's the possibility that the kids can have smoothies included when they're the 2nd passenger?

To give you some hope - we discovered that if we were with our kids when they ordered the drinks (like at dinner), they would put the virgin drinks on our cards. It was somewhat hit and miss as the final bill had a couple charges on it. One bar tender told our kids that if anyone in the cabin had the card, we wouldn't be charged (we were not there) and I wonder if those are the ones that showed up :rolleyes:

We have the complimentary UBP so our daughter gets the soda package. It seems it just covers soda and not any juice, we have spent a lot effort ensuring our daughter does not drink soda, 8 teaspoons of sugar a glass! Juice also has sugar but generally natural sugars and much less so we are happy for her to have the occasional juice. So we are very concerned that we automatically get a package for her that only allows her to drink unhealthy soda and of course bottled water isnt allowed either!

Anyone any expereince of this, will she be allowed juice? It seems to us a shame that ncl are offering packages to children that are bad for their health and their teeth, with no healthy option included.

We booked the Sky for next Christmas. I was told that since one of my kids is under 21 the other could not book the beverage package. I would be happy to have the older one have the package and the younger one the non-alc package. Is this possible?

Kathy

We have the complimentary UBP so our daughter gets the soda package. It seems it just covers soda and not any juice, we have spent a lot effort ensuring our daughter does not drink soda, 8 teaspoons of sugar a glass! Juice also has sugar but generally natural sugars and much less so we are happy for her to have the occasional juice. So we are very concerned that we automatically get a package for her that only allows her to drink unhealthy soda and of course bottled water isnt allowed either!

Anyone any expereince of this, will she be allowed juice? It seems to us a shame that ncl are offering packages to children that are bad for their health and their teeth, with no healthy option included.

We managed to get juice for our kids on the Spirit last month. It was hit and miss though.

I'll warn you now that the Orange is concentrate, mixed in the pourers at the bar. They mix it super sweet. By adding additional water we got 3 glasses at what we would call correct strength for kids, out of 1 glass from the bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

She can also drink the complimentary beverages. There is nothing that says she is required to drink soda since she has the package. Free beverages available to all passengers include lemonade, certain juices, flavored waters, milk, tea, and perfectly safe tap water.

Just be aware none of the "juice" in the machines in the buffet are actually real juice. They are a juice flavored beverage (orange, apple, cranberry). Lots of artificial stuff and no real fruit juice.

The good news is that the ship's water is perfect good - no need to do bottled water! I pretty much exclusively drink water, and have always been very happy with the quality and taste (or lack there of) of the water straight from the tap on NCL ships.

We are not health nuts, but to me, juice is soda. I do buy oj, and sometimes cranberry, about once a week, but with 5 kids, it goes fast. We only have soda in the house if it's leftover from a party, or comes free with Chinese delivery. I always get the soda package for them - it's one week! Plus, 3 are teens, so I really don't police what they drink when they're out.

I grew up drinking water and seltzer, and never developed a taste for juice or soda (way too sweet). I figure if I don't have it in the house, my kids won't love it, either.

http://www.hookedonjuice.com

To give you some hope - we discovered that if we were with our kids when they ordered the drinks (like at dinner), they would put the virgin drinks on our cards. It was somewhat hit and miss as the final bill had a couple charges on it. One bar tender told our kids that if anyone in the cabin had the card, we wouldn't be charged (we were not there) and I wonder if those are the ones that showed up :rolleyes:

That's great to know! Thanks

Are the cabins close enough that you could book the two adults in one and the two kids in the other? If so, I would get the UBP for the adult cabin and then a different promo, such as the free gratuities for the kids cabin. Seems that would give you more value since the kids really won't drink much soda anyway.

Are the cabins close enough that you could book the two adults in one and the two kids in the other? If so, I would get the UBP for the adult cabin and then a different promo, such as the free gratuities for the kids cabin. Seems that would give you more value since the kids really won't drink much soda anyway.

Travel agency only offered the drink package.

Then you need a new travel agent most likely. I would call and see if you can get a different perk, as NCL is probably the one offering the perk anyhow. I noticed that there was one large online site that seemed to only let you choose the beverage package, but if you called, you could pick. If the price has not gone up and you are not in final payment, if the TA won't do it, I would call NCL directly and talk to them about a new booking and then cancel the original one. Hopefully, you picked a TA without cancellation or change fees. What ship/sail date cabin category do you have? I'm not trying to be nosy, just trying to help.

Edited by Kcruiser2014

Then you need a new travel agent most likely. I would call and see if you can get a different perk, as NCL is probably the one offering the perk anyhow. I noticed that there was one large online site that seemed to only let you choose the beverage package, but if you called, you could pick. If the price has not gone up and you are not in final payment, if the TA won't do it, I would call NCL directly and talk to them about a new booking and then cancel the original one. Hopefully, you picked a TA without cancellation or change fees. What ship/sail date cabin category do you have? I'm not trying to be nosy, just trying to help.

I also got a pretty large discount booking through them, but I'll call tomorrow and ask if that's an option. It won't hurt to try it. Thanks for the suggestion!

We managed to get juice for our kids on the Spirit last month. It was hit and miss though.

I'll warn you now that the Orange is concentrate, mixed in the pourers at the bar. They mix it super sweet. By adding additional water we got 3 glasses at what we would call correct strength for kids, out of 1 glass from the bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the advice, will do the same. I dont think ncl should be promoting soda for children!

She can also drink the complimentary beverages. There is nothing that says she is required to drink soda since she has the package. Free beverages available to all passengers include lemonade, certain juices, flavored waters, milk, tea, and perfectly safe tap water.

Good idea, but I am thinking about a drink before lunch or dinner, I dont know if these drinks are available in the bars? I suppose we could always bring them for her.

The good news is that the ship's water is perfect good - no need to do bottled water! I pretty much exclusively drink water, and have always been very happy with the quality and taste (or lack there of) of the water straight from the tap on NCL ships.

You are entirely right, and she has got very used to ordering water when we eat out. It just seems a little difficult to ask her to have water for a drink in the bar before dinner, particularly when she will know she has the soda package!

We are not health nuts, but to me, juice is soda. I do buy oj, and sometimes cranberry, about once a week, but with 5 kids, it goes fast. We only have soda in the house if it's leftover from a party, or comes free with Chinese delivery. I always get the soda package for them - it's one week! Plus, 3 are teens, so I really don't police what they drink when they're out.

I grew up drinking water and seltzer, and never developed a taste for juice or soda (way too sweet). I figure if I don't have it in the house, my kids won't love it, either.

http://www.hookedonjuice.com

I suppose it does depend on the juice, though all contain sugar the ones that dont come from concentrate are certainly a better option than soda. Its also the amount one drinks, its hard to drink more than a small glass of juice, its easy to drink a large glass of soda! Like you, I dont get soda at home, and do get some juice. Interesting discussion I think!

The travel agency should be able to call NCL and get it changed. Mine looked they they were only offering UBP but when I called to ask they said they listed that one because it was the most expensive. After I booked they called NCL for me and got it switched to free gratuities.

Just something to consider: The virgin versions of adult beverages (like virgin daiquiri) could be made with ice and fruit flavored sugury syrup mix. I don't know if ncl makes actual smoothies with real fruit at the bars that would be included in the UBP. If they are available at the coffee bar, they would, I believe, be 20% off, or 25% off after July 2nd. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

Just something to consider: The virgin versions of adult beverages (like virgin daiquiri) could be made with ice and fruit flavored sugury syrup mix. I don't know if ncl makes actual smoothies with real fruit at the bars that would be included in the UBP. If they are available at the coffee bar, they would, I believe, be 20% off, or 25% off after July 2nd. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

You are getting packages mixed up. It's the UDP that includes discounts on á la carte dining venues, not the UBP. Even with UDP, I believe items at the coffee bars/bake shops are excluded as they are not considered á la carte restaurants.

Edited by LrgPizza

You are getting packages mixed up. It's the UDP that includes discounts on á la carte dining venues, not the UBP. Even with UDP, I believe items at the coffee bars/bake shops are excluded as they are not considered á la carte restaurants.

You're right, I was mixing them up! And giving wrong info, to boot! :eek: Thank you for correcting me. :)

I still am not sure if a "real" smoothie (without fruity syrup) would be included with UBP?