Single supplement

nancynana9950

Hoping some of the more seasoned solo cruisers out there can help. My brother wants to join us on our Breakaway October cruise, traveling solo. Currently I believe there are studios available but he would prefer an inside cabin. I'm wondering if NCL sometimes drops the single supplement charge and how I might be alerted to that event. Thanks for any help.

They don't drop the single supplement for any room but the studio room (which is designed for 1 person). He can check for price drops after paying for the room and see if NCL can upgrade him for free or a small fee.

Edit:There's only a few times when the price of regular inside is cheaper than a studio; he could wait for that to happen but no guarantees.

Edited by maywell

Hoping some of the more seasoned solo cruisers out there can help. My brother wants to join us on our Breakaway October cruise, traveling solo. Currently I believe there are studios available but he would prefer an inside cabin. I'm wondering if NCL sometimes drops the single supplement charge and how I might be alerted to that event. Thanks for any help.

YES...NCL has, does, and will reduce and/or eliminate the single supplement as part of their ongoing efforts to keep the ship's full. Single supplement reductions are outlined in the weekly Sales PAL which is sent to all PCCs and Travel Agents.

Your best bet on getting alerted to a reduction is through a good working relationship with a PCC or TA.

YES...NCL has, does, and will reduce and/or eliminate the single supplement as part of their ongoing efforts to keep the ship's full. Single supplement reductions are outlined in the weekly Sales PAL which is sent to all PCCs and Travel Agents.

Your best bet on getting alerted to a reduction is through a good working relationship with a PCC or TA.

That's news to me. I thought NCL never reduced price for singles. Always pd double.

Your brother doesn't want the inside studio? Room is dinky but ok. Not sure I would want more than a week in studio. Only tried 4 days. But the studio lounge was nice. Overall, not too bad.

Edited by lettienets

They do reduce the single supplement on some cruises. I recently booked passage on a repo cruise for this month and paid around a 40% supplement instead of the normal 100%. You have to watch and repo cruises seem to be the most likely cruises they discount. Last minutes seem to favor the single supplement as well. It's all about filling the ships.

Jingle

Yep, they reduce supplements the nearer the sail date. Also on certain cruises like trans-Atlantics. The last two I did the balconies were actually cheaper than the studios!!! :confused:

On my recent Spirit trip I started with a inside at 100% supplement and then a few weeks before upgraded to a balcony cabin for only a small extra.

I would agree with the other posters. Usually NCL does not discount the solo rate unless the ship is not full closer to the sailing date. I have paid 200% for most of my solo trips on NCL, but there have been a few, when I booked a month or two out from sailing that I got for 150% or less. I have not done a TA on NCL but on the lines that I did do my TA's on, they were both discounted from the usual rate as they seldom sail full. I have done 10 solos on NCL and I would say that it has probably been 70%/30% as far as the 200% rate versus the discounted rate of less than that.

For my last 2 Breakaways 9/15/13 and 10/19/14 I upgraded from a Studio to a Balcony the week before- by then the supplement was only 25% and I paid the difference between the new price and what I paid for the studio.

However, last year, by the end there was 0% of a supplement (I should have waited 3 days more)

However, I am not sure these will occur with the new CEO's strategy.

I am planning on going 10/18 but am going to wait until last minute to book.

In fact, I have my pre and post cruise hotels in NYC, and will start packing mid-September but won't book until around Columbus Day

Note though, I have not seen such discounts lately.

These posters are right on target. If you're planning ahead, and it involves couples and a solo, your best bet is to book a studio, get a good PCC, and watch the price. If the price drops to inside price, he can make the switch.

These posters are right on target. If you're planning ahead, and it involves couples and a solo, your best bet is to book a studio, get a good PCC, and watch the price. If the price drops to inside price, he can make the switch.

Or advocate for yourself - that's how I got my free upgrade from a studio to a Mini-suite. :) Love those price drops -originally $879 for a studio and it drop to $450/475, NCL didn't want to give me more OBC. :p

Edited by maywell

A mini suite!?! You're my hero! I'm hoping to score a spa balcony in Dec on the Breakaway..

That's how bad the price drop was - Some people on my sailing winded up getting aft balconies; I got a guarantee mini-suite which winded up being over the Fat cats on deck 9 (which fine by me, good music to sleep to :D)

This upcoming sailing, I highly doubt I will get any more good deals - I paid $1,699 plus taxes / fees for a 12 day Caribbean trip on the Breakaway in a studio. Considering the prices now and number of days, I made out like a bandit on that one.....:p

Last minute (e.g. 2-7 days before sailing) this year and last year the single supplement was 0% and 10%.

Yes, got one last November at 0% on Getaway. Got a balcony for $499. The insides were $399. At those rates, they were last minute rates that I was able to get. I think there were 2 sailings offered.

Help please.....I now seem to have some flexibility with job, I live in NY, I don't care where I go, and I have a good PCC. If I tell him to call me at a moments notice, can I get good air fares to FL? Can I get a great deal out of NY as a solo? These may seem like stupid questions, but the flexibility is new...

In the past, NCL has reduced solo supplements, or the bottom line price dropped so much the supplement didn't matter. These days, though, with all that's going on with the "free promotions", all you can do is carefully watch pricing, and jump on it when you find something attractive.

I have a studio on hold on Breakaway sailing on 6/21. The customer service rep suggested I wait until all the promos expire to book because the price could drop (I guess we ARE paying higher cruise fares for the freebies?). I want a studio and don't want to risk them selling out or the price going up. I have until tomorrow to book but the promos don't end until 4/30. Ugh!

Help please.....I now seem to have some flexibility with job, I live in NY, I don't care where I go, and I have a good PCC. If I tell him to call me at a moments notice, can I get good air fares to FL? Can I get a great deal out of NY as a solo? These may seem like stupid questions, but the flexibility is new...

Why don't you just sail out of NY on the Breakaway?