Entertainment Manager/Cruise Director - Aurora

tonyl1956

I've been following another thread about the trials and tribulations of having a certain H Taylor as EM/CD and I thought I'd look who we can expect to see on Aurora in about a month's time. P&O's Senior Officers page lists two holders of the position between the 23rd of this month and the 22nd June - Michael Mullane and Leon De Ste Croix. Looking at Search results for these two, it would seem to me that either will do a great job, as most reviews seem to be positive.

Is this just P&O website/admin staff getting slightly confused or can we expect to see a joint effort? I did look at other ships, but neither of these two seem to be required to be in two places at once and no ship is showing a gap at the time. Maybe it's P&O's way of easing Mr De Ste Croix back into the P&O 'way' after being at Cunard for a while.

Tony

Jean, I hate to disagree, but I met mm on aurora, and I liked him.

He actually arranged a three show programme, so more people could

See a show whichever sitting they might be on.

Appears we may see him on our next cruise on aurora

Just over a weeks time. First after the worldy.

Was not keen on the gentleman with the unusual name.

Think he was on either Azura or Ventura.--when we saw him.

To be honest, I don't care much who any CD is, but I just remember we did not see him anywhere, apart from beginning and end of show and didn't like his patter. There is another one I didn't like much, but he's extremely popular with some. I've had a better experience with some of the ladies, well two to be fair and just seemed to be around and very friendly. But they don't make a lot of difference to our cruise, as I don't go to Sailaways, too flaming loud.

Edited by jeanlyon

Leon does a great job at ye olde Great British Sailaways. Gets everybody pumping. We just love the Brit sailaways.

We had Leon on Arcadia.

He was CD on one of our trips - think it may have been on the QE. It was the first time we'd come across him and tbh weren't overly impressed at the beginning of the cruise but grew to like him and his style a great deal. He is very knowledgeable about Astronomy giving an excellent lecture one day followed by taking groups out late at night to look at the night sky. Great opportunity at sea to star gaze without light pollution and a treat for anyone interested. I'm rather hoping he will be on Aurora later this year for our cruise then.

Fingers crossed for Mr De Ste Croix in May, then. Like some, I didn't used to think it would make a difference but the more you read, the more you realise that the variety and content of the entertainment owes quite a lot to the EM/CD, along with the enthusiasm of the staff of course. On our early cruises on Victoria, I'm not even sure anyone was in charge. Then we were on Oriana in 2008 and there was definitely someone doing the job. I seem to remember a tan and a limp handshake, but that probably applies to most of them! I'm sure there were people doing a decent job on the other P&O ships we've been on as well, but they didn't leave a lasting impression. The stand out host for us, so far anyway, was Eric de Gray on Azamara.

With nine sea days on our forthcoming cruise, we're hoping for a decent entertainment programme. Ideally, we'll come home with unread books on our Kindles. I quite like the idea of a bit of astronomy, must pack the binoculars.

Tony

Fingers crossed for Mr De Ste Croix in May, then. Like some, I didn't used to think it would make a difference but the more you read, the more you realise that the variety and content of the entertainment owes quite a lot to the EM/CD, along with the enthusiasm of the staff of course. On our early cruises on Victoria, I'm not even sure anyone was in charge. Then we were on Oriana in 2008 and there was definitely someone doing the job. I seem to remember a tan and a limp handshake, but that probably applies to most of them! I'm sure there were people doing a decent job on the other P&O ships we've been on as well, but they didn't leave a lasting impression. The stand out host for us, so far anyway, was Eric de Gray on Azamara.

With nine sea days on our forthcoming cruise, we're hoping for a decent entertainment programme. Ideally, we'll come home with unread books on our Kindles. I quite like the idea of a bit of astronomy, must pack the binoculars.

Tony

DH has just reminded me that Leon did several Astronomy lectures which DH thought were excellent. We're doing a cruise involving a TA in September so am hopeful Leon will be on board again - the more variety and activities of interest, the better!!! Hope you are lucky with the Astronomy angle.