Celebrity Cruises (official) - important

ghstudio

So where do Becks and O'Douls beers fit? They're not even listed. :p:confused:

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/...-Bev-Pckgs.pdf

OH YA Celebrity Official!!!, O'Douls should be covered by the classic the way it was originally.... it's non-alcholic for crying out loud. :D

Edited by A Sixth?

Just stumbled across this thread and I am TOTALLY confused as to why anyone would want to upgrade their drinks package?? We got our classic drinks package included on the 123 promotion are we going to have problems with it?? Very worried now.

It depends on what you like to drink, Di. My husband is perfectly happy with his Jack & Coke, so he stays with the Classic package. I like to try the fancier cocktails, so for me it's worth the extra $10/day (+ gratuity) to upgrade. At the Molecular Bar (which is changing to a new concept in the next month or two...not sure if drink types/pricing will remain the same), all of the cocktails were priced at $13 -- so you either had to have the Premium package or pay by the drink there. Likewise, all of the martinis listed on the Martini Bar menu require the Premium package (or pay-per-drink)...though the bartenders offered 4 smaller martinis (not listed on the menu) under the Classic package: appletini, cosmo, and two other basic ones I don't recall offhand. Keep in mind that with the Classic package, they don't just charge the difference if you want a non-included drink...you have to pay full price.

On another recent CC thread, someone posted a link to menus from a Panama Canal cruise last November: http://www.thepreismans.com/pan_can_menus.htm#mainbar They're a few months old so drink selections/prices may have changed since then, but it gives you an idea of what kind of drinks you can get with the Classic package (beers up to $6, spirits/cocktails up to $8, wines up to $9) vs. the Premium package (any drink up to $13).

So hopefully that explains why some people think the upgrade is a good value while others are perfectly happy with the Classic package. ;)

As of 20 minutes ago, Celebrity reps are STILL telling people who have the Classic package that they better upgrade NOW because the price is going up for upgrading, and it will cost more after April 20th.

Celebrity needs to send out emails to EACH and EVERY passenger who has booked or deposited a cruise to let them know what the OFFICIAL policy will be.

This "he said she said" garbage isn't cutting it.

SOMEONE PLEASE DO SOMETHING IN WRITING TO ALL PASSENGERS AS WELL AS ALL CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS AND ALL SHIPS LETTING EVERYONE KNOW THE ACTUAL POLICY REGARDING UPGRADING AT THE OLD PRICE.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have encountered to date.

Until Celebrity provides in writing on their letterhead, explicit instructions that people on particular promos will not pay the extra, then to be blunt, what has been posted here by the rep is meaningless but it is just a post in a forum. Try getting guest services to change their mind based on a forum post if their paperwork/system tells them something different.

That is the way business works.

Edited by Pushka

Until Celebrity provides in writing on their letterhead, explicit instructions that people on particular promos will not pay the extra, then to be blunt, what has been posted here by the rep is meaningless but it is just a post in a forum. Try getting guest services to change their mind based on a forum post if their paperwork/system tells them something different.

That is the way business works.

I agree...at this point "Celebrity Cruise" has our thanks for his contribution....but his statements are, I'm sure, whatever he's told...and if no one is implementing the information, it's just what one person, perhaps his manager, thinks might or should be the policy.

The current lack of consistency and communications is just hard to believe in a major corporation. Surely, there is someone in Celebrity HQ that sets a policy like this and communicates it to all personnel...in customer service, on the ships, and perish the thought, to passengers, etc.....or is Lisa the only one who can do this?

Celebrity Cruise...please have someone IN MANAGEMENT with a name/title post something official....something that we can point to, refer to...about the $10 plus gratuity upgrade at any time if you have the classic package....a press release....a note on your web page....an official email to your passengers....something more than your posts here which unfortunately, seem to carry no weight.

This should have been resolved weeks ago. It should be embarrassing that it's still an issue.

Edited by ghstudio

Does anyone know if a couple, sharing a stateroom, can upgrade to the premium package for one and keep the classic package for the other person. My wife prefers to remain with the classic and I prefer the premium especially for the wine upgrade and Kettle One vodka. I thought at one time Celebrity stated that both parties would have to either remain with the classic package or upgrade to a premium package.

Bob

Does anyone know if a couple, sharing a stateroom, can upgrade to the premium package for one and keep the classic package for the other person. My wife prefers to remain with the classic and I prefer the premium especially for the wine upgrade and Kettle One vodka. I thought at one time Celebrity stated that both parties would have to either remain with the classic package or upgrade to a premium package.

Bob

yes...one can upgrade and the other stay with whatever package they have/want. The requirement for both to upgrade disappeared very quickly...a year or more ago.

Boy, am I glad we are not big drinkers!

However, I am glad the policy has been explained to all those who have booked drink packages.

No one wants an unknown price increase.

Happy sailing!

Ah. It hasn't. There is conflicting information from Celebrity.

The upgrade has absolutely nothing to do with quantity of alcohol consumed but quality. You can get (sadly) as drunk as you want on the classic package if that is what your "thing" is.

I agree...at this point "Celebrity Cruise" has our thanks for his contribution....but his statements are, I'm sure, whatever he's told...and if no one is implementing the information, it's just what one person, perhaps his manager, thinks might or should be the policy.

The current lack of consistency and communications is just hard to believe in a major corporation. Surely, there is someone in Celebrity HQ that sets a policy like this and communicates it to all personnel...in customer service, on the ships, and perish the thought, to passengers, etc.....or is Lisa the only one who can do this?

Celebrity Cruise...please have someone IN MANAGEMENT with a name/title post something official....something that we can point to, refer to...about the $10 plus gratuity upgrade at any time if you have the classic package....a press release....a note on your web page....an official email to your passengers....something more than your posts here which unfortunately, seem to carry no weight.

This should have been resolved weeks ago. It should be embarrassing that it's still an issue.

IMHO, it is time for any enity from the Corporation to close their profile here on Cruise Critic, and leave us to our own devices. The volunteer Host and Adminstrators of the forums on CC have said they know the poster to be the real deal, but the word of Andy and others seams to carry no weight. So the Co spokes enity should exit stage left and shake the dust from their shoes.

This is an Internet chat forum and will never be anything but that, no matter how much information is shared, there will always be some wanting what can never be. Sadly so.:(

Edited by wallie5446

I think you are right Wallie. While it has been agreed by the powers that be on this forum that the Celebrity rep is real, sadly the information they posted is not what is being experienced onboard. So really, there doesn't seem to be much point in them posting, does there?

But even Host Andy has asked for clarification. Doesn't that suggest something to you?

Edited by Pushka

Bob

Yes, as several others have already noted. I called a few days ago to upgrade mine to Premium; my husband is staying on Classic. The rep emailed me a receipt for the upgrade charge; I printed it out and will bring it with me, since the "Payment Details" page on our reservation only shows payment for the cruise, the zeroed-out Classic package, and our pre-paid gratuities. I want to make sure I have a record that I've paid for my Premium upgrade, given all of the recent confusion over upgrade charges! ;)

IMHO, it is time for any enity from the Corporation to close their profile here on Cruise Critic, and leave us to our own devices. The volunteer Host and Adminstrators of the forums on CC have said they know the poster to be the real deal, but the word of Andy and others seams to carry no weight. So the Co spokes enity should exit stage left and shake the dust from their shoes.

This is an Internet chat forum and will never be anything but that, no matter how much information is shared, there will always be some wanting what can never be. Sadly so.:(

I have no doubt that "celebrity Cruises" works for Celebrity...that's not the issue. The concern I and apparently others have is that Celebrity Cruises states one thing...which we believe to be official Celebrity Policy...and then we get posts from multiple folks that what they are experiencing doesn't match that "official policy".

This may well be a case of two different departments believing that they are the official policy makers....one says we'll charge everyone $10 plus gratuities irrespective of when or how they got the classic package.....and another department/manager who decides that after 4/20, they will charge $16 plus gratuities. Which manager/department is right...who actually decides the "official policy". Who communicates policy to the ships/customer service folks?

So let's not shoot the Celebrity messenger who's trying to help.....lets try to get ONE position from Celebrity and post it officially. That's not a post to CC or the other social forum(s)...it's a letter to passengers, a post on their web...or something else that everyone who works for celebrity will acknowledge as "the single official policy"

Edited by ghstudio

I think you are right Wallie. While it has been agreed by the powers that be on this forum that the Celebrity rep is real, sadly the information they posted is not what is being experienced onboard. So really, there doesn't seem to be much point in them posting, does there?

But even Host Andy has asked for clarification. Doesn't that suggest something to you?

Yes it does, that Celebrity as a Co appointed a rep to pass information to the masses here and the message is not want some want to hear. So why should they bother even trying. Give it up, shut it off, and let it go. No matter what nor how they do it, it won't be what some want.

The President of Celebrity has more to do running the Co than come post on a chat board. The comment for her to post in person was the dumbest suggestion ever made. And is the reason Celebrity needs to walk away from CC.

Edited by wallie5446

Wallie, the issue is not about "what I want to hear" at all. The Celeb rep has posted a statement that is at odds with what is happening on the ships!! That is what needs to be clarified. Are we, or are we not, going to be charged at the lower rate?

As for the CE posting in person? Never said that.

Edited by Pushka

If I recall correctly, exactly the same thing happened when the last increase was made to the beverage packages a couple of years ago. The same info - upgrade now or pay the increased charge. Eventually that all settled down and common sense prevailed. We all paid the difference between the two packages which was $10 at that time.

You are correct that there is little joined up rational thinking being done at Celebrity when these sort of issues arise and you would thing that they would at least learn from earlier mistakes. Think the issue fully through, make a sensible decision, get the answer to the ships, make sure that the ships understand what the policy is and then let all customers know, although the probably did all those steps other than " Think the issue fully through, make a sensible decision".

The only way we find out is through hearsay. We are never contacted by Celebrity of changes, only to let us know of their latest offers.

They are probably breaching UK travel laws where they are making material changes to individuals cruise experience when we only find out about it on board. They only advise us of itinerary changes, nothing else.

The misinformation thing happens on the ships continuously. The staff, including senior ones tell you what they believe to be the case, not what is the case and we are gullible enough to believe them as the truth. Then you come home and discover that it was just idle gossip.

Celebrity as an organisation so need to get their act together and at the very least, advise customers of changes on their web site and also by email. They are quick enough to try and sell you a new cruise, but don't tell you what is changing on board.

Gordon

I have no doubt that "celebrity Cruises" works for Celebrity...that's not the issue. The concern I and apparently others have is that Celebrity Cruises states one thing...which we believe to be official Celebrity Policy...and then we get posts from multiple folks that what they are experiencing doesn't match that "official policy".

This may well be a case of two different departments believing that they are the official policy makers....one says we'll charge everyone $10 plus gratuities irrespective of when or how they got the classic package.....and another department/manager who decides that after 4/20, they will charge $16 plus gratuities. Which manager/department is right...who actually decides the "official policy". Who communicates policy to the ships/customer service folks?

So let's not shoot the Celebrity messenger who's trying to help.....lets try to get ONE position from Celebrity and post it officially. That's not a post to CC or the other social forum(s)...it's a letter to passengers, a post on their web...or something else that everyone who works for celebrity will acknowledge as "the single official policy"

I agree.

There is a page on the website that details the different beverage packages.

A simple note on there that says "$10 + gratuity to upgrade" or something like that would be official.

We could copy and print that and take it with us if need be.

Edited by chamima

On the Azamara board, the representative (well blogging officer) has a name and therefore this gives a greater credibility to the posts (albeit there have been a few instances of accuracy in the last year, the previous job holder who was less focussed on blogging stories and more about communication sadly died - he was absolutely excellent)

Regardless, it will be easier on the ships to say *name* has posted. Sadly too often on Celebrity whilst officers appear to recognise cruise critic I have from time to time come across Guest relations staff who were extremely dismissive of posts and information on these boards. A named person, with a name that is also communicated to all front of service key staff would help

Wallie, the issue is not about "what I want to hear" at all. The Celeb rep has posted a statement that is at odds with what is happening on the ships!! That is what needs to be clarified. Are we, or are we not, going to be charged at the lower rate?

As for the CE posting in person? Never said that.

Correct, you did not, she was called, out by name, in another comment.

Bottom line, we have a choice which of the many Co's that provide a cruise vacation to spend our money with. And as you and I have agreeded on, the others product for the cost is not on par with Celebrity.

EW

Bottom line, we have a choice which of the many Co's that provide a cruise vacation to spend our money with. And as you and I have agreeded on, the others product for the cost is not on par with Celebrity.

EW

The post was mine...and you took it out of context. My statement was:

Surely, there is someone in Celebrity HQ that sets a policy like this and communicates it to all personnel...in customer service, on the ships, and perish the thought, to passengers, etc.....or is Lisa the only one who can do this?

You apparently feel that she IS the only one who can set and communicate policy. I certainly hope that isn't the case....

EW

Yes. Sure. Celebrity seems favoured at this price point.

But I'd really appreciate some consistency of communication so we all know at the get-go what is reality and what isn't. We really still don't know that yet.

Well, after Canadian Dee received her reply, I sent an email to concerns@celebrity; no response yet!!!

Given the way that the Celebrity Official posted worded their reply earlier; something tot he effect of "we handle the replies to concerns@celebrity".

Makes be believe that the poster known here as Celebrity Official, is not just one person, but could be several people who have access to posting under this alias. I get the impression that there is a group that response to concerns@celebrity and members of that group post here at Cruise Critic under Celebrity Official.

On the Azamara board, the representative (well blogging officer) has a name and therefore this gives a greater credibility to the posts (albeit there have been a few instances of accuracy in the last year, the previous job holder who was less focussed on blogging stories and more about communication sadly died - he was absolutely excellent)

Regardless, it will be easier on the ships to say *name* has posted. Sadly too often on Celebrity whilst officers appear to recognise cruise critic I have from time to time come across Guest relations staff who were extremely dismissive of posts and information on these boards. A named person, with a name that is also communicated to all front of service key staff would help

Most companies that employ people in social media have more than one person making forum posts, twitter posts, facebook updates, etc. It's usually a team of individuals. At the company I work for, we have a department of 15people who take care of this. They work very close with each other and clients likely have no idea that the posts on twitter are not all from the same person.

IMO, having the name of the person who posts is not going to make any difference when you go to Guest Relations. I've had the names of reps I spoke with over the phone and it didn't matter, so why would this be any different? Guest relations is going to follow what their procedures tells them to do, regardless of whether someone else in the company has provided you with conflicting information.

IMO, the issue is that Celebrity needs to communicate this info with ALL staff - especially those who are onboard.