Congrats to NCL, you have innovated again!

pokerpro5

Dear pokerpro5 - I can totally understand the logic behind your analysis. However, I have a question for you:

Do you think that cruisers who book at the last minute (inside, oceanviewn rooms) spend more, less or about the same onboard as those who book early?

I think that NCL has looked at the numbers and realized that poeple who book a bargain cruise for $299 are PROBABLY spending less onboard than those who book early at a $699 price point. I think that, overall, people who cruise often, and therefore look for last-minute bargains, tend to spend less onboard. Am I wrong? Think about the people who can afford (time-wise) to travel often - are they more likely to be on a fixed income?

Those of us who book early, tend to have a limited time for vacation and are more willing to spend more on-board than those who cruise more often. We often travel in suites because we only travel twice a year. We are also more willing to spend $1,000 onboard because it is probably the only cruise that we are going to take that year.

Edited by jmele999

May I please ask what time of year had you finding RCCL less expensive. I was finding NCL cheaper for May 2016 when I was shopping around a few weeks ago. While at this point I think Getaway would have more for my family than the Freedom class I was looking at' date=' I would still consider it for a great enough cost savings.

Thank you. :)[/quote']

Spring Break..I only have one week so I priced 3/19, 3/20

Navigator, Independence, Allure out of South Florida were all less expensive. RCCL is also has tax promo right now which made it even more appealing. Ultimately, I just decided to stay in my comfort zone and did the Glory as they had a great itinerary.

Adjoining balconies on the Getaway for $5500.00 for 8? If that is after tax, that is less than 700.00 per passenger. Very nice job of getting a great deal on that timeframe ;)

Yes. I figured $98/person/day. :)

We grabbed an M2 and a connecting B2 for dollars under $5500.

I just went to the site and selected one of each again (albeit not connecting) and the difference is now $1,500 more. I didn't realize it had gone up so much in five weeks. It has to plateau soon. That is still over a year away!

ETA I still have to add in the soft drink packages. But it still will be far less than DCL. ;)

Edited by Vacationdreamer<><

Navigator, Independence, Allure out of South Florida were all less expensive. RCCL is also has tax promo right now which made it even more appealing. Ultimately, I just decided to stay in my comfort zone and did the Glory as they had a great itinerary.

I didn't note your signature or I likely would have figured it out. :P

Four cruises for these two years... I'm envious! Although, I'd be happy with just the 10/15 Magic. ♥

I see these kinds of posts and can't understand where you are seeing "raise the cruise fare" to cover these costs. It simply isn't the case at least for the cruises I would choose.

Granted I try to cruise in off season time frames, but today I shopped around for a caribbean cruise out of San Juan on the Gem in fall of 2016... and 4 of us traveling partners could share a 2 Bedroom Suite with Balcony (SC) for only $1096 per person! That includes ALL FOUR promotions, representing several hundred dollars in savings. Where is this supposed price raise? We have the same category on the Star exactly one year earlier and its actually $400 more per person! Again, where is the price raising? We had the same room on the Gem in 2013 and it was $500 MORE per person with NO promotional items. For $1096 per person, you'd be foolish not to take the suite life in this case and get all the promotional items :)

In this case, this is a WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN-scenario - lower price, free beverages, free specialty restaurants, free gratuities, free shore excursion credits - honestly... I can't find a comparable deal anywhere else.

Same boat here (no pun intended!) - We booked Oct 2015 Boston to Bermuda back in Dec 2014 (SF category suite) and paid the same with UBP + UDP + OBC as we would have paid without any of the promos, so win-win for us as well.

In my mind anyway, NCL suites with the multiple incentives are the best deal going. Not inexpensive but a wonderful value.

I guess Del Rio did his job in 'pushing levers' to get people on board.:eek:

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not but whatever.....

I just snagged an incredible deal for 3 on the 10 day gem inside cabin $75 obc.....$1798 total.

Don't care about the promos only care about the price

And aren't the promos only for the first 2 pax in the cabin anyway? So tell me how the udp helps a triple. Lol

I priced out an ov with free dsc for the first 2 pax and it still wasn't worth it

Well anyway another cruise for us!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And you know this how ???? It is identified as Oceania, and if you have information that it is bogus, please do your civic duty and report it instead of disputing my posts on cruise critic.

Look at the small print at the bottom of the link you provided. The name of the TA is clearly listed.

Look at the small print at the bottom of the link you provided. The name of the TA is clearly listed.

The LARGE print at the top is all I am concerned with. Anyone looking at the website would consider it Oceania's, and the information I posted was obtained from it.

Those of you who don't believe the discount information is correct can handle it with Oceania and/or report the bogus website. It has been there for quite some time, so evidently nobody is bothered by it except those of you who want to argue on CC.

Keep in mind that the website is offering 75% discount on Oceania's cruises, so the ownership of the website is insignificant. It still is offering Oceania's cruises at that reduction.

Edited by swedish weave

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not but whatever.....

I just snagged an incredible deal for 3 on the 10 day gem inside cabin $75 obc.....$1798 total.

Don't care about the promos only care about the price

And aren't the promos only for the first 2 pax in the cabin anyway? So tell me how the udp helps a triple. Lol

I priced out an ov with free dsc for the first 2 pax and it still wasn't worth it

Well anyway another cruise for us!!!

If you chose the UDP then everyone in the cabin would receive it not just the first two.

Rochelle

You don't seem to grasp the point !!!! It is unimportant who the website belongs to if they can offer Oceania cruises for 75% off, I don't care who they are. It appears that Oceania is not disputing their offer, so my point is made.

Go price a cruise with Oceania at "75% off" there and then go to Oceania's REAL site, price the same cruise and see if it's a "deal". And please...be sure and come back and tell us the "deal" you got...I need a cheap upscale cruise. :)

Go price a cruise with Oceania at "75% off" there and then go to Oceania's REAL site, price the same cruise and see if it's a "deal". And please...be sure and come back and tell us the "deal" you got...I need a cheap upscale cruise. :)

I am not good at following argumentative instructions, so if you are interested, you do the research and satisfy yourself. While you are doing that, you may also want to look at the offer that is by Cruise Critic with the same discount.

Edited by swedish weave

You don't seem to grasp the point !!!! It is unimportant who the website belongs to if they can offer Oceania cruises for 75% off, I don't care who they are. It appears that Oceania is not disputing their offer, so my point is made.

Wrong! They also make that claim for other cruise lines plus up to 82% off for last minute ones. Carnival, Royal, Paul Ganguin, Windstar, etc are not disputing this travel agent claim either - Are you going to make the same argument for them as well? Yes, it is important who the website belongs to because it not the Oceania's website - Its a warehouse travel agency that

sells other cruise lines (aka competition) fare as well!!

You didn't make a point - You prove that you fell for one of the oldest internet ad gimmicks in the world.....

Same boat here (no pun intended!) - We booked Oct 2015 Boston to Bermuda back in Dec 2014 (SF category suite) and paid the same with UBP + UDP + OBC as we would have paid without any of the promos, so win-win for us as well.

In my mind anyway, NCL suites with the multiple incentives are the best deal going. Not inexpensive but a wonderful value.

We booked for spring break, on a new ship, higher cat than last year, with a cheaper rate, and free UBP. The OP's theory doesn't hold water - at least not with my booking!

Your insults are not warranted.

Do you have the same opinion of Cruise Critic ?

A google search shows the same discounts offered by Cruise Critic, so do you consider their website bogus also ?

This was also displayed on a Google search.

Find Oceania Cruise deals to destinations all over the world. Cruise Critic can save you up to 75% with exclusive deals on Oceania cruises.

As I have stated more than once, you seem more concerned with arguing and insulting me than accepting the fact that Oceania cruises ARE BEING DISCOUNTED up to 75%.

It doesn't matter who is making the offers,

Big Difference - Can you book that cruise directly from Cruise Critic ITSELF? It will open a new link / window to other traveling agencies to book the reservation but the actual making of it - NO, you can't.

Is it really discounted up to 75% from that travel agency you linked? Why don't you put email address in the registration field and find out for sure, instead of getting caught up in the only ad scam? How about comparing cost / price from Oceania official website to other travel agencies to see if there is good deal or discount?

You been cruising for how long and you fell to that internet ad gimmick without making sure the claim was true? Pretty hard for me to insult someone when they did a pretty good job doing it themselves.

The LARGE print at the top is all I am concerned with. Anyone looking at the website would consider it Oceania's, and the information I posted was obtained from it.

Those of you who don't believe the discount information is correct can handle it with Oceania and/or report the bogus website. It has been there for quite some time, so evidently nobody is bothered by it except those of you who want to argue on CC.

Keep in mind that the website is offering 75% discount on Oceania's cruises, so the ownership of the website is insignificant. It still is offering Oceania's cruises at that reduction.

Marketing

If you cool your jets & actually check the facts you will see the prices on that website are off the Brochure rate ( which no one really pays)

Compare the actual prices with the true website Minus the included air

pretty much the same price

Edited by LHT28

Everything about Del Rio and his strategy turns me off but I still have a cruise booked with NCL and will still consider booking with them in the future. But as I have said several times they will have to entice me onboard with price alone.

I agree, I only look at price as I don't use a lot of the extras. While I'm glad some people found some deals they are happy with I have not. NCL has been consistently raising prices on the two cruises I have been following. The Alaska one is ridiculous high. So much so that only insides and ocean views are selling out. I'm hoping it will drop but it's been pretty steady. Disappointing. I finally booked an inside but I'm still shopping around if I see a better price somewhere else. The other lines have been slowly dropping their prices but NCL has been increasing them $20 to $30 a person at a time. It went from $899 a person to $599 and now to $819 a person in 4 months time and that's only for the inside prices. That does not include the additional $208 per person port charges and taxes or gratuities. Because it's an inside cabin we weren't offered anything extra. Not my best cruise offer:( I have to go on a specific week, so this is just my experience for said sail.

Edited by Siora7777

I can't believe you passed up a chance to cruise on the Allure.

I would have jumped on that in a heartbeat, comfort zone or not.

We cruised on the Oasis last November and it was just amazing!

Bill

We booked for spring break, on a new ship, higher cat than last year, with a cheaper rate, and free UBP. The OP's theory doesn't hold water - at least not with my booking!

Ummm... do you mean spring break 2016? Because spring break just passed.

Please read my subsequent post about the matter. I'm saying that the opportunity to grab 14-55 days before megadeals is mostly gone now.

Prior to 2015, booking way in advance was not a good deal, aside from suite bookings or itineraries/dates where the ships typically fill early. So it doesn't surprise me that you aren't seeing much of a negative difference, or perhaps one in your favor.

Prior to 2015, if you booked a year in advance for a balcony/oceanview/inside, you were getting a bad deal, with only a few exceptions. Nobody likes to admit that they got a bad deal, so this board had all kinds of rationalizing as to why booking early was best and/or cheapest, when in fact this wasn't true.

This thread is acknowledging that things have totally changed this year, and now booking early actually does seem to be best.

Edited by pokerpro5

As I said on your other thread at the begining of Feb the game has changed for a while.

Is is not yet clear which way things will go

Celebrity were the first with the model as they rolled out 123*, which became semi permanent in the US and UK. RCI were more intermitent with there roll out but have been offering AI more regularly and NCL were last joining in Dec(Jan for the UK).

All cruise line jacked up prices and we are seeing deals drop out as certain sailings are not selling as well.

The choice sale was clearly good for some cruises(eg OV 10n $499 with UDP and UBP) and I think a lot of people picked up bookings especialy in europe when the choice was two.

I am seeing more full(except for inside) on ships I watch(europe) for sailing into May but there are some decent prices on some dates.(EU cruises operate regional prices so UK sometimes get drops that don't happen in the US)

eg 7n Jade April 18 an open jaw Rome to Venice

UK £239, OV £399 (this is cheap with UBP )

US £283, OV £553 3+ was 50c more than inside

(converted from $ and inc tax like UK)

3+ pax I think you have wrong on many sailings the 3+ price was jacked up high then 1/2 priced so the 3+ are more/close to inside prices.

A lot of these are peak family dates where 3+ booking would normaly be higher anyway. the 3+ free would need some more analysis as I have not looked closely.

What needs to happen is for these booking(US) to get through final payment as people still book more than one trip and wait to see what drops out.

If you look at an offpeak date like Nov-Feb in Europe, down to one ship(Epic 4000) from 2(Jade 2400 and Spirit 2000) Loads of availability even on the Xmas and New year sailings.

Personaly I think the deals will be there as booking settle back into a more normal cycle as people will realise that the choice will be permanent or prices will have to drop if it is removed. while there are promotions then the deal prices may be higher and fewer.

There was a significant reprice recently with some cruises dropping 30%+ to bring them in line from the inflated prices they were set at.

The perks have different value points for different pax, the boozers get more value(for them) from the UBP than the OBC/Grats people the price point each can tolerate will be different.

Looking at one trip we have on watch, Epic Jan 3 10n.

changes since the 2 Choices was available in Dec.

insides are 35% down($850->$550)

Aft balcony went down for 2 month now going back up($1200->$850->$1050)

The Suite prices(around $2500) are close to the prices of the suites on the equivilent trips this year(spirit) and the Epic are Haven. many would have booked pre perks. a few dates Epic Haven under $200pppd

The low OV price on the spirit with 2 perks was $499 insides were $429 (UK was cheaper but perks were added in Jan so less availability)

This trip is traditionaly a slow seller but with some strategic pricing throughout the year I think they could offload quite a lot of the inventory they have double the cabins to sell, 2015 Jan they had 2 itineraries to spread people.

Interesting times but there are some good deals out there that compare well with the no perks discounts of old, maybe NCL will go the route of RCI, X no perks on GTY rates at all grades to give them more wiggle room.

Allthough all cruise lines have the new mantra no more late discounts some are filtering through but you need to be very flexible if you are a late booker.

---------------

123* Celebrity started this quite some time ago but interesting they have recently changes the name to "Pick Your Perk".

Edited by insidecabin

If you chose the UDP then everyone in the cabin would receive it not just the first two.

Rochelle

Oh. When I looked into some of the freebies it said only the first 2 pax in the cabin got it free

This was under a true ksf promo where 3 rd was only paying tax and port

I was pricing out moving from an inside to an ov or balcony but my understanding was only for first 2 pax

Of course with these promos changing so often it's anyone's guess

Also I was specifically interested in the free dsc so that might have made the difference

Remember I am talking about booking a triple and this was around April 2 that I was looking

Edited by luvtheships

I found the information you are seeking at Oceania's website. Here is the link and the headline in the website for your reference.

http://oceania.cruiselines.com/?source=google&cn=oceania&ag=oceania

Save up to 75% on Oceania Cruises!

Well the other posters are correct and that is NOT a link to Oceania cruise line but rather a link to what must be an offshoot of the big online TA I always use as they always give me more obc than Ncl does on the Ncl website and sometimes even a bottle if cheap wine as well!!! Lol

How do I know this? By the name and signature if the chairman listed on that page

I have a question though..... As nobody has ever paid brochure price in the history of pleasure cruising. Lol.

Exactly where would one even be able to price out a cruise at the rack rate?

The only time I have ever seen a rack rate priced out was on another big online travel site and of course they also give you the choice of the discounted rates so only a fool would select to pay 2x as much.

But seriously has anyone ever had a TA... Online or brick and mortar... Actually quote brochure/rack rate as the actual cost to be paid?

Edited by luvtheships

I noticed that first thing

I noticed the top right-hand side 1st and went looking for the official website because I knew that wasn't the only 'official' travel agent for Oceania.