Noro virus on The Infinity

cruzemaven

We just got off the Infinity. Luckily, we did not get sick but half way through our 15 day Panama Canal cruise, the staff instituted the strict Norovirus protocols. For example, in the Oceanview Cafe, you were not able to serve yourself any food or even get your own coffee, water, juice. Everything was removed from tables such as salt/pepper, sugar. No longer would the staff take your sea pass card when you ordered a drink. They had you hold it up so they could write down your folio number. In the dining rooms, they no longer would place a basket of bread on your table. They went around and served it. When you had coffee, they would come around with tongs and grab the splenda, equal out of container and give it to you. Constant cleaning was seen throughout the ship. They removed our decorator pillows from the staterooms 3 days before the end and our bedskirt 2 days before. Paper cups showed up in our cabin 1 day before so they could remove the glasses. The Emporium area where the shops are was roped off and everyone entering/leaving area had to have hand sanitizer squirted on their hands. There were people squirting your hands in major public areas. The staff was getting so over worked that they actually had the Celebrity Dancers handing out coffee, juice, water. They were all working so hard to keep us safe and it was much appreciated. The protocols made it that you had to wait in line for about everything but understandable. The captain, during his noon updates, would always tell us to wash our hand. Anyone that had GI symptoms was quarantined to their room for 2 days. In fact, they requested if you had symptoms that you call and have the medical staff come to your room instead of going to the medical facility. These were some of the main changes we saw. Everyone was very hush hush as to how many people were affected but we knew it had to be substantial if they were going to these lengths.

Vicki

We just got off the Infinity. Luckily, we did not get sick but half way through our 15 day Panama Canal cruise, the staff instituted the strict Norovirus protocols. For example, in the Oceanview Cafe, you were not able to serve yourself any food or even get your own coffee, water, juice. Everything was removed from tables such as salt/pepper, sugar. No longer would the staff take your sea pass card when you ordered a drink. They had you hold it up so they could write down your folio number. In the dining rooms, they no longer would place a basket of bread on your table. They went around and served it. When you had coffee, they would come around with tongs and grab the splenda, equal out of container and give it to you. Constant cleaning was seen throughout the ship. They removed our decorator pillows from the staterooms 3 days before the end and our bedskirt 2 days before. Paper cups showed up in our cabin 1 day before so they could remove the glasses. The Emporium area where the shops are was roped off and everyone entering/leaving area had to have hand sanitizer squirted on their hands. There were people squirting your hands in major public areas. The staff was getting so over worked that they actually had the Celebrity Dancers handing out coffee, juice, water. They were all working so hard to keep us safe and it was much appreciated. The protocols made it that you had to wait in line for about everything but understandable. The captain, during his noon updates, would always tell us to wash our hand. Anyone that had GI symptoms was quarantined to their room for 2 days. In fact, they requested if you had symptoms that you call and have the medical staff come to your room instead of going to the medical facility. These were some of the main changes we saw. Everyone was very hush hush as to how many people were affected but we knew it had to be substantial if they were going to these lengths.

Vicki

Last week a report on the Today show showing the level of bacteria found on serving utensils used by passengers at the buffets on a cruise ship was beyond disturbing. The serving utensils tested extremely high in Coliform. The suggestion was to only allow a server wearing gloves to serve passengers as a standard practice all the time. Sounds like a good idea!

I wish they would get rid of the decorative bed throw and the pillows on all ships. You know they probably do not wash the decorative pillow cases after every cruise and then they prop them up on the regular pillows. The first thing I do is remove the decorative pillows from the bed and instruct the cabin steward to take them away or at least leave them on the sofa for the entire cruise. I cannot imagine what could be on those pillows.:eek:

For similar reasons, I will not book a hotel that uses bedspreads. At least with a duvet you have a better chance that they will launder it after every stay, although nothing is guaranteed. But with bedspreads....i hate to think!

With the behavior of some people at the buffet, it is a wonder more people do not get sick.

I wish they would get rid of the decorative bed throw and the pillows on all ships. You know they probably do not wash the decorative pillow cases after every cruise and then they prop them up on the regular pillows. The first thing I do is remove the decorative pillows from the bed and instruct the cabin steward to take them away or at least leave them on the sofa for the entire cruise. I cannot imagine what could be on those pillows.:eek:

For similar reasons, I will not book a hotel that uses bedspreads. At least with a duvet you have a better chance that they will launder it after every stay, although nothing is guaranteed. But with bedspreads....i hate to think!

With the behavior of some people at the buffet, it is a wonder more people do not get sick.

when I read VMARQ's post, this is exactly what I was thinking. Then I read your post, and wondered if I already responded to this thread:p. That's exactly what I do. At a recent stay at Universal Studios, it drove me nuts because the throw and pillows kept being put on the bed. The maids were different each day, so telling them made no difference. I finally threw them in a spare clear garbage bag I had packed and wrote on the bag with a sharpie.

My thoughts exactly! I always remove the throw and decorative pillows and always bring our own pillowcases. I take them off each morning so since I do not know where the steward puts the pillows while making the bed. Same for hotels.

Sometimes I think we can go overboard by avoiding germs. I never thought about throw pillows, but think I will leave that issue alone. I do normally clean the stateroom with antibacterial wipes, except for this last cruise in a Suite. I was so excited, I forgot to clean it.:eek: Never had a problem, though. :rolleyes:

Last week a report on the Today show showing the level of bacteria found on serving utensils used by passengers at the buffets on a cruise ship was beyond disturbing. The serving utensils tested extremely high in Coliform. The suggestion was to only allow a server wearing gloves to serve passengers as a standard practice all the time. Sounds like a good idea!

For this reason, I make sure to use the antibacterial lotion when entering the dining venues. I feel it might give me a shield. Then, when going through the buffet, I use my left hand (non prominent) to use the tongs. Once I get back to the table, I use my own hand sanitizer and clean again before eating.

Hi,

few years ago on one of the ships, we did have the same symptoms and problems as norovirus is causing ...... the doctor on the ship never declared that to be norovirus. We used the antibacterial wipes and the 'sanitizers' a lot ....... in addition to washing hands often.

The antibacterial wipes or sanitizers do not kill norovirus , neither does the hand washing ( it just removes).

All the steps taken not to catch something nasty are good ...... but not a 100% guaranty.