odds and ends question about our upcoming trip

Dizzneefan

We have our first Alaska cruise coming up on June 9th on the Legend. This site has provided SOOOO much information and I've learned a lot from reading them.

But still I have some more questions if you learned folks could help:

The thread "Views while sailing Alaska" gave great information and I'm going to purchase the book mentioned by mapleleaves, but I was wondering, what we can expect to see as we sail from Seattle to Tracy Arm, which is our first "stop". Will we be in open watter and too far from land to see much. Whales? Budget Queen, I know that in that thread you asked for what side of the ship the posters were on before responding. We have an Aft balcony, if that helps.

We are only in Victoria BC for a short, SHORT time, 4 hours and those are at night. Realistically, what can we see or do in such a short period?

I LOVE Victoria , It's so lovely and picturesque. With only 4 hrs you can enjoy walking around the Inner Harbor with views of the Empress Hotel and Parliament Bldgs. There are totems and rose gardens around the hotel grounds. Usually street performers at the harbor, lots of boat traffic and scheduled float plane service. Enormous hanging baskets everywhere.

If you have nice weather and enjoy walking, walk from the pier to the Inner Harbor. After 7-8 minutes you'll come to Fishermans Wharf. An interesting spot with docks, shops, houseboats, restaurants, and you may see seals and bald eagles. At the Wharf you can pick up the little HABOUR FERRY for $5 which will take you to the Inner Harbor if you don't want to walk.

http://fishermanswharfvictoria.com/page/index

You will be close to something to see most of the time. A nice pair of binoculars would help. Wale sightings are fairly common depending on the time of year. Tracy Arm is very narrow. You can see both sides from the deck. On one of our trips to Tracy, we had a hard rain for most of our time. We also had a covered balcony. So we stayed on the balcony for most of the time and saw both sides one at a time.

One at a time applies to the whole inside passage. Northbound you have the mainland on the right and islands on the left. On the return trip the islands are on the right.

I've looked and printed the walking tour map from the Cruise Ogden Point site for Victoria,and the walking tour looks very doable.

We have early sitting so we our meal will begin at 6:00 If we are scheduled to dock at 7:30 and to not miss a minute, don't you think we should forget about eating in the MDR and be ready to leave the ship at the first opportunity?

Have to agree with Mapeleaves about Victoria and the inner Harbour. Beautiful to walk around. We were staying the night at The Empress on our Cruisetour and had decided to have an early night, until we looked out over the bay. Back out of our pj's and out we went. The Parliment building is lit up and looks amazing. There was street entertainment and music, it was a beautiful sunny night we stayed out for hours.

don't you think we should forget about eating in the MDR and be ready to leave the ship at the first opportunity?

By the same token, the ship might be late arriving to Victoria .....

If service is late, just skip dessert and leave early.

Better yet, disembark, spend the night in Victoria, see Butchart Gardens the following morning, then catch the Victoria Clipper to Seattle in the evening.

Your first sea day, is pretty much open ocean with land view, very very distant, binoculars useless here. Your priority for sightseeing should be from early the next morning, right through evening. NONstop scenery, with humpback sightings likely. I also highly recommend the add on ship excursion. Otherwise, do NOT expect glacier viewing, except for a miles off partial upper portion view.

As for Victoria. With the late, and short port time, you are going to find people lining up way in advance to get off the ship. I saw lines back to the show lounge from the middle of the ship. You can have delays when large numbers of people want off the ship at once. :)

I skip a lot of meals and rarely eat in dining rooms. I am in a minority group. :)

Aft is not a good place for wildlife spotting. For the best success, you need to track from ahead. It's very limiting from aft.

Wish we could stay over. But we have a 12:20 flight the next day.

I won't worry too much about it .... you're not rushing to join a tour, just enjoying a leisurely stroll to the Wharf and harbor.

Ogden Pt is only a 15-20 minute walk to the Empress and the Wharf is about halfway.

If you want to use the little putt-putt Ferry, I think they close at 9 pm, so maybe walk to the Wharf, take a ferry to the Empress, then walk back or take a shuttle or cab.

http://www.victoriaharbourferry.com/

We have our first Alaska cruise coming up on June 9th on the Legend. This site has provided SOOOO much information and I've learned a lot from reading them.

But still I have some more questions if you learned folks could help:

The thread "Views while sailing Alaska" gave great information and I'm going to purchase the book mentioned by mapleleaves, but I was wondering, what we can expect to see as we sail from Seattle to Tracy Arm, which is our first "stop". Will we be in open watter and too far from land to see much. Whales? Budget Queen, I know that in that thread you asked for what side of the ship the posters were on before responding. We have an Aft balcony, if that helps.

We are only in Victoria BC for a short, SHORT time, 4 hours and those are at night. Realistically, what can we see or do in such a short period?

After leaving Seattle until the morning you go to Tracy Arm, you will be out to sea, and will not really see anything unless a whale happens to pop up. Location on the ship will not matter.

You will be close to something to see most of the time. A nice pair of binoculars would help. Wale sightings are fairly common depending on the time of year. Tracy Arm is very narrow. You can see both sides from the deck. On one of our trips to Tracy, we had a hard rain for most of our time. We also had a covered balcony. So we stayed on the balcony for most of the time and saw both sides one at a time.

One at a time applies to the whole inside passage. Northbound you have the mainland on the right and islands on the left. On the return trip the islands are on the right.

On a Seattle you do not cruise up the inside passage, you are out to well out to sea to the west of Vancouver island.

We're booked for the small boat and also whale watching with Harv and Marv, so maybe that will help.

We have purchased FTTF so will that be of much use to exit the ship in Victoria and bea the crowds?

Yes, FTTF will get you off the ship quicker.

Actually, I think that the aft cabins are the better place to see the Dolphins and orcas....and I have seen a good many humpy' from an aft cabin as well. I think the trick is to be constantly looking out the back on the balcony..I have heard so many people saw they had seen nothing, and I actually lost count after 100 whales....look for the spouts....once you know what to look for, you will find them...

Actually, I think that the aft cabins are the better place to see the Dolphins and orcas....and I have seen a good many humpy' from an aft cabin as well. I think the trick is to be constantly looking out the back on the balcony..I have heard so many people saw they had seen nothing, and I actually lost count after 100 whales....look for the spouts....once you know what to look for, you will find them...

That's good to know since I booked an aft cabin! What time of year were you cruising? We're going the end of May 2016.

Yes, you do see wildlife, but it's moving away from you. So easy to miss. I'm just mentioning, for a wildlife snob, myself; Tracking from ahead allows a lot more viewing. I consider aft viewing- partial for my priorities. :) Depends what you are happy with , no right or wrong. :)