Loyal CCL customer here thinking of doing a Celebrity cruise but fear it may be dull

Vitamin_Sea

Here is the deal..

This cruise is for my daughter- 18 and I -54.

The only reason I thought of doing the Celebrity cruise is due to low price and departure port... $599..7nt to Cape Liberty-bermuda...7/5

Now, will we be bored on Celebrity?

. I get the impression its very different then Carnival

Any advice?

I haven't been on Celebrity but have co-workers who love the ships and cruises. Yes, the market clientele for Celebrity is generally older and not focused on families like Carnival, but if any cruise on any ship is "boring" it's the fault of the cruiser not the cruise lines.

I haven't been on Celebrity but have co-workers who love the ships and cruises. Yes, the market clientele for Celebrity is generally older and not focused on families like Carnival, but if any cruise on any ship is "boring" it's the fault of the cruiser not the cruise lines.

well.. we are just used to the live music, games on the lido and so on.

I know the ships are really nice though

It is very different. Now as to whether or not you will be bored, it depends on what you enjoy doing. I have been on multiple cruise on both Celebrity and Carnival.

On Celebrity activities usually include trivia, a crew vs. passengers competition (usually water volleyball), art classes, cooking demos, bingo, martini and wine tastings, and on and on. They tend to be more low key than the activities on Carnival, but just as plentiful.

While I have only been on 3 Celebrity cruises it is becoming my line of choice. It is a lot more sedate on the ship, but it is very relaxed as well. They have a few pool games going on but they have never been well attended (then again my cruises on them were California, Asia and Norway. I am sure a Caribbean or Bermuda cruise might be a lot different). There are really no announcements, just the one at noon which is the Captain's talk. The food is really good, but more healthy options and smaller portions (which I like). The ships are beautiful. The Solstice class has to be one of my favorites ever. I enjoy the lecture series they have on the ship pertaining to where you are headed. I went to a lot of talks on our SE Asia cruise and learned a lot.

Other than all that, the ship itself is much quieter. The nightlife dies pretty early, there is no Piano Bar, etc. The shows have been alright, but the music around the ship is nice. You will have many varied performances in different spaces. If your 18 year old is looking for a lot of action I might think twice. However, if they are into a quiet relaxed atmosphere where everything is just a little nicer, then go for it.

We've done 8 Carnival cruises and 8 Celebrity cruises, including 4 times on the Summit to Bermuda. I've gone with a girlfriend, with just my kids and husband, and with my kids, husband and parents. I love this itinerary because of the three days in Bermuda.

Yes, you're correct that there won't be crazy pool games, but there is probably more live music, not less. The environment is probably a little more sedate than Carnival, but the crew is just as friendly and the passengers are fun, and with many New Yorkers, there's a definite NY "vibe".

The Summit is an older ship, but it doesn't look dated like the Fantasy class ships. It never feels crowded, even on a sea day, you can find a chair and room in one of the pools -- one family and two adult pools.

But the highlight of the trip is Bermuda, not the ship. There is so much to see and do that you will not be bored. Like I said, we've been four times and we still have a list of things to do. In fact, I just saw the low rates for the interiors and am thinking of trying to sneak another week in. Two years ago, we grabbed an "Exciting Deal" for $499/pp for the first two and FREE for 3rd/4th for an interior gty in August. When we can hop in the car and drive to port in 3 hours, how can one pass that up?

The Exciting Deals come out for Tue/Wed bookings -- http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf. And even outside the deals, interiors have been going fairly cheaply because the 123Go promo with the free beverage package is for outside and up.

Anyway, I recommend giving it a try. Here are links to my photos from my trips.

Aug 2014, Celebrity Summit, Bermuda

Aug 2013, Celebrity Summit, Bermuda

Jul 2013, Celebrity Summit, Bermuda

June 2011, Celebrity Summit, Bermuda

We've done 8 Carnival cruises and 8 Celebrity cruises, including 4 times on the Summit to Bermuda. I've gone with a girlfriend, with just my kids and husband, and with my kids, husband and parents. I love this itinerary because of the three days in Bermuda.

Yes, you're correct that there won't be crazy pool games, but there is probably more live music, not less. The environment is probably a little more sedate than Carnival, but the crew is just as friendly and the passengers are fun, and with many New Yorkers, there's a definite NY "vibe".

The Summit is an older ship, but it doesn't look dated like the Fantasy class ships. It never feels crowded, even on a sea day, you can find a chair and room in one of the pools -- one family and two adult pools.

But the highlight of the trip is Bermuda, not the ship. There is so much to see and do that you will not be bored. Like I said, we've been four times and we still have a list of things to do. In fact, I just saw the low rates for the interiors and am thinking of trying to sneak another week in. Two years ago, we grabbed an "Exciting Deal" for $499/pp for the first two and FREE for 3rd/4th for an interior gty in August. When we can hop in the car and drive to port in 3 hours, how can one pass that up?

The Exciting Deals come out for Tue/Wed bookings -- http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf. And even outside the deals, interiors have been going fairly cheaply because the 123Go promo with the free beverage package is for outside and up.

Anyway, I recommend giving it a try. Here are links to my photos from my trips.

Aug 2014, Celebrity Summit, Bermuda

Aug 2013, Celebrity Summit, Bermuda

Jul 2013, Celebrity Summit, Bermuda

June 2011, Celebrity Summit, Bermuda

Thanks for the detailed thoughts. The deal I have is good @ 599pp.

So, I havent come to final payment yet but its looking like we will keep it

I have never been "bored" on Celebrity and I am younger than you. They have trivia...which I hate...but actually less than Carnival does...at least on our cruises. They have way more live music than Carnival. Definitely not as many kids running rampant as I have seen on Carnival. Lots of different activities going on at all times it seemed.

Can't say how an 18 year old would like it as each one is unique LOL. I would go for it also!

Edited by ready2cruzagain

I have to agree with others that say its different but still fun.

We were on Celebrity Reflection last fall for a 10 day Mediterranean cruise and I still found my sea days went fast with not enuf time to do everything I wanted to. There was night life if you wanted it and I did my best to enjoy as much of it as I could ( long port days had me beat! lol)

That said I do enjoy the party atmosphere that carnival has and would prefer it for a Carribean cruise.

For the record, I am a 45 yo female that loves her fun and night life! :D

I have never been "bored" on Celebrity and I am younger than you. They have trivia...which I hate...but actually less than Carnival does...at least on our cruises. They have way more live music than Carnival. Definitely not as many kids running rampant as I have seen on Carnival. Lots of different activities going on at all times it seemed.

Can't say how an 18 year old would like it as each one is unique LOL. I would go for it also!

I just booked my 2nd Celebrity Summit cruise out of San Juan. I loved the food, the service, the ambiance and the indoor Thalasso Pool. I found when pricing is comparable or lower than CCL, I should jump at going on a more upscale cruise like Celebrity. I just love getting a better cruise for less money!

Thanks... The way more live music is huge for me!

sounds good to me

I just booked my 2nd Celebrity Summit cruise out of San Juan. I loved the food, the service, the ambiance and the indoor Thalasso Pool. I found when pricing is comparable or lower than CCL, I should jump at going on a more upscale cruise like Celebrity. I just love getting a better cruise for less money!

thats good to hear.

I feel the same way about the price thats why I thought to give it a go.

I wont pay Celebritys crazy high regular summer time prices but for 599pp in July

It seems worthwhile and may be a nice change

well.. we are just used to the live music, games on the lido and so on.

I know the ships are really nice though

Celebrity has live music, plenty of activities, including lido games. We've cruised on Celebrity a lot and we've always had a ball. And they have programs for kids, so your teens will have plenty to do.

Celebrity has live music, plenty of activities, including lido games. We've cruised on Celebrity a lot and we've always had a ball. And they have programs for kids, so your teens will have plenty to do.

Thats a big plus and happy to hear it

Our last 2 cruises have been on Celebrity and we have 2 more booked with them. As other posters have noted, there is a lot of live music throughout the ship. On our last cruise, we actually had the craziest "Dancing with the Stripes" ever! It was hilarious and we were sore from laughing so hard. They also had a fun Egg Drop and other different activities throughout the cruise. While the Hairy Chest contests don't exist on Celebrity, there are still a lot of fun things to do day and night. We were up later on this ship than on any previous one. You won't be sorry to try Celebrity!

I sailed the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda last year; I did find the activities dull.

However, I would 100% do that cruise again. Bermuda is awesome, and you're there for 3 days.

Food is good, Cafe Al Bacio is amazing, the adult pool area is interesting (it's a warm salt water pool - almost like a very large warm hot tub and it has these jets on the side and large funnels of running water that feel great if you stand under them and let them run down your back).

Just make sure to bring some activities of your own for the sea days and have a great trip!

Our last 2 cruises have been on Celebrity and we have 2 more booked with them. As other posters have noted, there is a lot of live music throughout the ship. On our last cruise, we actually had the craziest "Dancing with the Stripes" ever! It was hilarious and we were sore from laughing so hard. They also had a fun Egg Drop and other different activities throughout the cruise. While the Hairy Chest contests don't exist on Celebrity, there are still a lot of fun things to do day and night. We were up later on this ship than on any previous one. You won't be sorry to try Celebrity!

thanks... Im kinda sold on it and my daughter is into it so I think its a go!

I've been to Bermuda once many years ago, and would love to sail there. Carnival has no options for us in the Summer. And RCI and NCL are too expensive. This deal sounds great (and so close to home for us), but I just can't imagine my 7 and 12 year old enjoying themselves on a Celebrity cruise.

Hope you guys have a great time though!

I've been to Bermuda once many years ago, and would love to sail there. Carnival has no options for us in the Summer. And RCI and NCL are too expensive. This deal sounds great (and so close to home for us), but I just can't imagine my 7 and 12 year old enjoying themselves on a Celebrity cruise.

Hope you guys have a great time though!

I hear that. I thought it would be boring for kids to but they have kids clubs just like CCL.. But no water slides

Im choosing this cruise cause the price was real low and the dates worked out

thanks... Im kinda sold on it and my daughter is into it so I think its a go!

Plus, sailing down the Hudson River out of New York is fantastic on any line, the skyline views of the city, the Freedom Tower and Statue of Liberty are awesome!

Plus, sailing down the Hudson River out of New York is fantastic on any line, the skyline views of the city, the Freedom Tower and Statue of Liberty are awesome!

Yes... We like to cruise out of the area so there are no planes involved

And so easy to get to

The Summit leaves from Cape Liberty, so there is no sailing by any of that, but it is visible.

DSC_8148.jpg

DSC_8153.jpg