Question for Sail7Seas or anyone who wants to respond!

themerle

We do very few cruise line sponsored tours. If we do it would be for something we cannot do on our own, or sometimes when there is a short port stay as a private driver and guide would typically charge for a full day and general there is only time to go to one or two stops.

With that said, we were on this cruise in 2010 and took a tour in Quebec that I thought was very good and can recommend (or recommend based on our experience 5 years ago). I looked it up for you and HAL is still charging the same price 5 years later, or $99.00 per person.

Here is the information from HAL's Shore Excursion booklet that you can download,

Québec - Montmorency Falls & Island of Orléans

Along the St Lawrence River, within minutes of the old walled city of Québec, you will discover the beautiful pastoral landscapes of the Island of Orléans and Montmorency Falls. Cross the bridge to the Isle of Orléans, where you will enjoy a scenic drive through the picturesque villages of traditional rural Québec—a veritable open-air museum boasting more than 600 heritage buildings.

Visit an authentic sugar shack where you will learn about the production of maple syrup. You’ll also stop at Mauvide-Genest Manor, a rare and exceptional example of the island's French seigneurial past, and one of the oldest remaining manor houses in Québec, built in 1734. Pause to view the magnificent Montmorency Falls, 11⁄2 times the height of Niagara Falls. Coffee, tea and pastries will be served at the elegant Montmorency Manor while you enjoy the breathtaking views and see the powerful forces of nature at work as the water of the Montmorency River roars down a 270-foot cliff to eventually meet the St Lawrence River.

==

We are going back on the same cruise in May and this time will just walk around on our own.

We also enjoyed this HAL excursion. Another day in Quebec, we spent on the Hop On - Hop Off bus. It was excellent! We have also taken the HOHO bus in Hallifax which was good, but expensive for the length of tour. Still, it was a good overview of the entire city.

You might find more suggestions in the Port section of Cruise Critic where this thread actually belongs.

Edited by sansterre

Why are you limiting yourself to ship tours? I did a fall trip in the same area last year and I did not do any ship tours. I did all private tours. Some were wonderful and all were good. Do a check on TripAdvisor for the cities that you will be visiting.

DON

Why are you limiting yourself to ship tours? I did a fall trip in the same area last year and I did not do any ship tours. I did all private tours. Some were wonderful and all were good. Do a check on TripAdvisor for the cities that you will be visiting.

DON

Don, we're not limiting ourselves to just ship tours, but I did want to consider those just in case I didn't have time to research private tours. Quite often we will do ship excursions the first time we visit an area. This cruise I really do want to do my research but just wanted back up and thought I could hear what excursions people really enjoy.

Thanks for the advise to check Trip Advisor! I do some time but I was forgetting!

Hi Merle,

Nice to 'see you'. It's been a while.

You've gotten some great information and I'd add a few comments.

I would not bother with a tour to Salem, MA when you can see and do so much in Boston.

July 4th is a major big deal for us in Boston being with are the birthplace of America.... Paul Revere and Lexington and all that. :) If they are offering tours of USS Constitution, it's so historic and a real experience. I heard she was having renovation but am not sure when that will be completed. If no mobility issues, walking the Freedom trail and seeing Paul Revere House, Old North Church, ("one if by land and two if by sea..... "), Boston Public Gardens, Fanueil Hall, Quincy Market, JFK Museum and the new Edward Kennedy Memorial Senate Museum is worth a visit, Aquarium, Cambridge and Harvard Square seem to get on lots of tourists' lists :), Fenway Park, Isabella Stewart Gardener Museum, Boston's MFA, see some of the architecture of Boston such as at Boston Public Library..... The North End of Boston (Italian section) is lovely to walk but be aware on 4th of July some streets will be blocked in readiness for concert on the Esplanade (Charles River). The Boston Pops provide an incredible outdoor at the 'Hatch Shell' free concert each 4th of July with great display of fireworks. Crowds come and it is always a huge hit.

Halifax - I didn't see anyone mention Maritime Museum. It's a short walk from where the ship docks and has some artifacts from Titanic as well as a great collection of ships' bells.

The Citadel is fun to see. We very much enjoyed a riding/walking tour of Halifax which was offered by HAL at the time. We didn't go until about our 3rd visit to that wonderful city and we learned so much of the history and diversity of Halifax. In addition, while cemeteries would not be my usual place to tour, I found it interesting to see the graves of victims of Titanic placed in the shape of a bow. Of interest to me were the sections for Chinese area, Italian, Greek, French etc With very little effort I was amazed to learn how diverse Halifax is. We learned of the great explosion during the war which I never quite imagined until that tour. If this tour is still offered, it's about 3 hours and we had a great guide making it very worthwhile. If nothing else appeals, have a wonderful lobster lunch along the boardwalk. We loved walking the Boardwalk with all the shops and restaurants etc and My late DH never missed his chance at a Halifax big steamed lobster. :)

In Charlottetown, we went to the museum right at the dock which taught us the history of founding of Canada. The founders of Canada were in PEI and while the museum warrants not much more than a brief visit, it was interesting and nearby. We also enjoyed touring Government House, also short walking distance, and came away knowing more about our northern neighbors. Another time, we took a private tour to ride outside Charlottetown to see the red dirt and beauty of PEI. It is truly a lovely place with delightfully pleasant people. Near the dock is a 'tourist' area of small shops gathered in neat sections and maintained so beautifully. A pleasure to browse and pick up a souvenir or two. There are a few fairly decent places for lunch and we always sought PEI mussels. Many think them the best mussels anywhere. :)

Montreal is a huge city. Plan ahead what you want to see and do.

While I confess DH and I stayed in deluxe hotels our (land) visits to Montreal :o (and they were outstanding), I would comment friends who are accustomed to the likes of Four Seasons etc stayed at a hotel near the dock named Hotel Nelligan. We had sailed with them the first leg of our cruise, they disembarked in Montreal and rented a car to drive home. We walked up to the hotel with them and found it to be quite unique. Not cookie cutter rooms, all were different. Very friendly staff; breakfast included each morning and though they had not checked in yet and we were not staying they offered us to enjoy breakfast. Our friends were very specific when reserving their room to get one they would like and they enjoyed their stay. The price was rather fair, as I recall. If it interests you, do a bit of research. :)

Hope you have a wonderful cruise on Maasdam. I dearly love that ship and her crew.

this is on my bucket list, so thanks so much for info. it would be so neat to meet you on board one day. take care.

Ramona and Paul

this is on my bucket list, so thanks so much for info. it would be so neat to meet you on board one day. take care.

Ramona and Paul

There are so many here on CC I'd love to meet onboard someday. One never knows.......... :)

I certainly hope you get to sail Canada/NE on HAL. It's a wonderful itinerary.

We did booked the June 27 cruise on the Maasdam! We will fly into Montreal on Thursday the 25th. We are booked for the Springhill Suites in Old Montreal. When we arrive in Boston we are booked at the Marriott Long Wharf. We will stay a couple of days there. We have stayed at the Long Wharf before and we really like the location. We don't know anything about the Springhill Suites. If anyone knows of reasons not to stay there please let us know soon so we can change hotels.

Thanks again for all the information on the excursions. I've got lots of planned to do!:)

We did booked the June 27 cruise on the Maasdam! We will fly into Montreal on Thursday the 25th. We are booked for the Springhill Suites in Old Montreal. When we arrive in Boston we are booked at the Marriott Long Wharf. We will stay a couple of days there. We have stayed at the Long Wharf before and we really like the location. We don't know anything about the Springhill Suites. If anyone knows of reasons not to stay there please let us know soon so we can change hotels.

Thanks again for all the information on the excursions. I've got lots of planned to do!:)

Springhill suites in Old Montreal is a very good place - I am sure you will be happy with it. Since it is in an expensive land area, the rooms and especially common areas are a bit smaller than most Springhills. I would definitely stay there again - great location as well.