Need some input

sadiecat

We are sailing on the Getaway next week and my husband has some concerns. I am confined to a wheelchair and he is worried that with 4000 plus people on board that I might have a difficult time being able to get around. We went on a cruise a year ago on the Jewel and only had problems in the buffet. He is concerned for example that the elevators will be too full of people all the time for me to be able to access them. I guess my question is this does the ship seem to be overcrowded and do you think elevator access will be difficult?

Regarding the lifts, I never use them but my wife often does. On most ships, I often get to the floor we want before her, as she has to wait for a free lift, but last week on the Getaway (which was full), I barely ever got there first as she hardly ever had to wait.

Basically, the lifts on the Getaway were far easier to get on than any other NCL ship we've sailed on.

I just asked her opinion and she said that she was amazed how easy it was to get lifts last week.

I'm thinking that when the elevator gets there and the pax empty out and before the new pax enter......

That the person in the wheelchair would be treated respectfully and allowed space before others

But that's just me knowing right from wrong....

We were on the ba in January and there are so many elevators it should be fine

I believe there are only 2 elevator banks but I think there are 8 or 10 elevators at each bank

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm thinking that when the elevator gets there and the pax empty out and before the new pax enter......

That the person in the wheelchair would be treated respectfully and allowed space before others

But that's just me knowing right from wrong....

I only wish that reality matched that.

I only wish that reality matched that.

I am a skeptic myself but in this sort of situation it is still likely to happen I hope

I will never forget at time about 30 years ago on my commute into NYC from the northern suburbs....

I bumped into a guy friend from hs and sat next to him and started chatting and then a very old woman accompanied by her 20 something grandson got on.....at the next stop

I got up and gave her the seat....

My hs friend said. " you are making me look bad "

I smiled and helped the woman into my seat. The grandson was so nice and thankful

I will add that this actually happened about 5 minutes after the woman got on the train.....giving my friend plenty of time to give up his seat....so yep I did make him look bad

I still wonder if I myself waited too long to get up for her.

I don't think next week is a prime vacation week, so you shouldn't have the crowing issues that might be there during xmas or spring break.

FWIW, I traveled on the Breakaway last summer with my parents, one of whom used a walker and the other alternating between walker/wheel chair. It was a crowded sailing, and although there were sometimes elevator waits, I did find that people were generally respectful/helpful when it came to my parents' disabilities. There were a few times that people got out of elevators to make room for my dad's wheel chair. Of course, there are always a few selfish bad apples in the crowd, but by and large it was not a problem. I will say, though that the hallways are very narrow and it is sometimes tough getting through with a wheelchair. I don't think my dad came out to the pool deck very much because the crowds there were too much for him. In the buffet, there were always staff members willing to help my parents, carry plates for them, etc., so even when crowded it was not a huge problem for them.

Good luck and enjoy the trip. Basically, if you can go with the flow a little, you should have no big problems.

Actually next week is April vacation for much of the northeast....there may be more kids but you don't generally have trouble with them in the elevators....I use a scooter...some people seem to be oblivious and others go out of their way to be kind and helpful...was on the princess regal recently and our best exp yet with being able to get on and off as needed....the muster drill can take a long time so we went exploring until the crowd died down..

We are sailing on the Getaway next week and my husband has some concerns. I am confined to a wheelchair and he is worried that with 4000 plus people on board that I might have a difficult time being able to get around. We went on a cruise a year ago on the Jewel and only had problems in the buffet. He is concerned for example that the elevators will be too full of people all the time for me to be able to access them. I guess my question is this does the ship seem to be overcrowded and do you think elevator access will be difficult?

The elevators won't be a problem but the narrow hallways and doorways might be, unless you get an accessible cabin. They have specific tables reserved for handicapped persons in the buffet. They had placards on them.