Flight customs questions

samisone

Hello all,

After our cruise we are flying from Dublin to Toronto to Chicago to Omaha. We bought this as one ticket from a TA. But, the flight from Dublin to Toronto is on Aer Lingus and the remaining flights are on Air Canada. My question is this. Will we need to claim our luggage and go through customs in Toronto or just Chicago?

Thanks in advance! :)

I believe you will have to claim in Toronto, but it will be an Immigration and Customs clearance there. You will not have to go thru Immigration or Customs in Chicago. We did this last summer, Rome-Toronto-SFO.

Air Canada doesn't fly Chicago to Omaha.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Hello all,

After our cruise we are flying from Dublin to Toronto to Chicago to Omaha. We bought this as one ticket from a TA. But, the flight from Dublin to Toronto is on Aer Lingus and the remaining flights are on Air Canada. My question is this. Will we need to claim our luggage and go through customs in Toronto or just Chicago?

Thanks in advance! :)

You'll have to clear Canadian Customs and immigration in Toronto with your luggage . Just inside customs before you leave Canada Customs . There will be a location to transfer you bags for onward travel. You'll leave the secure area and clear US Customs and airport security again.

Most flights to the US from Europe, that have a connection in Toronto clear US customs in Toronto. Granted I've done this when my final destination is the airport after Toronto. I'm not sure how it would be done with 2 flight sections after Toronto, but I imagine it is the same.

I would say they will definitely clear US customs in Toronto.

The question is whether or not they need to clear Canadian customs to transit to the US Pre-clearance area, or if there is another method for intransit passengers to get there.

They have to clear Canadian customs if they're in transit to the U.S.?

Yes. There was a recent question about this on Flyertalk - conclusion was that no Canadian airports (YYZ, YVR, etc.) provide for connections without needing to going thru Canadian immigration/customs.

I would expect a passport check- we went through one last summer. But not Customs. That doesn't make sense.

If the customs officers have a concern . They do a secondary inspection before they leave the secure area.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Several years ago we were re-routed due to irops to Europe-YVR-SEA flights. In YVR we cleared Canadian immigration and customs. Then we had our US clearance for immigration and customs in YVR. There was no "in-transit" area.

We have friends from UK who have vowed never to transit in the US again. Likewise they had to clear US immigration and customs for a brief layover on the way to Mexico. They were singled out for special questioning for no particular reason.

It's simpler to be "in transit" in China than in the US or Canada.