Seeing penguins in January

ptrpanpens

Could some of you experienced cruisers please relate your experience in seeing penguins the first two weeks in january in South America? I will be on a cruise from Buenos Aires to Valpariso january 3-17. Are some of the penguin ports better than others?

We are visiting the normal ports, Puerto Madryn, Ushuaia and Punta Arenas. I am wondering if some of the ports will be better for seeing penguins at that time versus earlier or later in the year. Specifically wondering about Punta tombo versus Valdes peninsula in Puerto Madryn, and Magdalena Island versus Ottoway in Punta Arenas. If I can ever get hold of them, i am considering Pira Tours in Ushuaia for Martillo Island, however, they are not responding to any emails so will probably have to call them.

Any advice for these ports at this specific time of year would be appreciated. Also, are there more problems gettig into these ports in January versus other times of the year. This will be my first trip to South America and seeing penguins is my priority.

Could some of you experienced cruisers please relate your experience in seeing penguins the first two weeks in january in South America? I will be on a cruise from Buenos Aires to Valpariso january 3-17. Are some of the penguin ports better than others?

We are visiting the normal ports, Puerto Madryn, Ushuaia and Punta Arenas. I am wondering if some of the ports will be better for seeing penguins at that time versus earlier or later in the year. Specifically wondering about Punta tombo versus Valdes peninsula in Puerto Madryn, and Magdalena Island versus Ottoway in Punta Arenas. If I can ever get hold of them, i am considering Pira Tours in Ushuaia for Martillo Island, however, they are not responding to any emails so will probably have to call them.

Any advice for these ports at this specific time of year would be appreciated. Also, are there more problems gettig into these ports in January versus other times of the year. This will be my first trip to South America and seeing penguins is my priority.

Have a look at my review and photos of Puerto Madryn. Also if you scroll down a bit you will find a similar question was asked last week

Magellanic Penguins will be at all the usual colonies in January. The only uncertainties concern whether you will be able to get there! Puerto Madryn, Ushuaia and Punta Arenas are all missed from time to time due to weather problems and (occasionally, especially for Ushuaia) political issues. However, if your ship does not go to the Falklands, political issues are unlikely to affect you.

If your ship does go to the Falklands (Port Stanley), that should definitely be one of the places where you concentrate on seeing penguins. It is easy to see additional species there, if the weather is suitable for tendering that day. However, it is fairly common for ships to fail to get to Stanley.

In any case, given your special interest, it would be wise to plan for penguin visits during at least two of the port stops to provide reasonable assurance that you will actually get to at least one of them.

John

We did Around the Horn in January 2014. Plenty of penguins in Valdes peninsula, Puerto Madryn as well as Ottoway in Punta Arenas. Pira fills up quickly, so they may be booked, if not, keep trying.

If you can't get on Pira, take a catamaran cruise that also goes to the Terra Del Fuego park.