Considering NCL for the First Time..Tips & Advice welcomed

cruisingbajan

My wife and I are contemplating trying NCL for the first time next April.

The ships look beautiful and my wife is pretty sure she wants to sail on the Getaway.

We like the Free Style concept and we always do the Your Time Dining/Any Time Dining on the cruise lines we have sailed before.

Any advise tips are appreciated.

How do the beverage/dining packages work?

How are the bar prices a la carte?

How exactly does the Free Style Dining work?

Thanks in advance for any/all tips and advice.:)

Ultimate Beverage Package info:

https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

Ultimate Dining Package info:

https://www.ncl.com/terms/shorex-dining-entertainment-spa#dining

Freestyle dining simply means eat whenever you want with no set dining times. Walk up to whatever restaurant you want or if you so choose you can make reservations.

Edited by ColinIllinois

Regarding Freestyle dining - You can show up or make reservations , the choice is yours. If you do the show up, there's electronic boards through the Getaway that shows which ones are crowded and which are not; to make it easier to decide which restaurant to go to.

We have taken 2 NCL cruises, but on a smaller ship.

NCL has the best suite packages ever.

Inside cabins are very tiny.

Our ship, Star, had 2 free dining rooms.

We like to eat early. We found dining at 5-6 was crowded.

Don't have much experience with NCL, but we liked it.

We are in our late 60's. Ds and DIL are 47 and 39. GD is 2.

Patti

We just cruised on the Getaway and NCL has been our preferred cruise line. We tried two other lines but we are hooked on freestyle cruising and NCL just fits us the best. The UDP will be a first for us on our next cruise. We like to cruise in the suite or haven area the most. The drink prices seem to be around 11$ if my memory is correct. The dinning in the buffets and free sit downs is good and if you want you can go specialty dinning route. It's nice to dress up for dinner if you want to or don't if you don't :-).

We will be sailing on the Dawn in September. Is the MDR the only venue that is paid for, are all the others additional charges?

There have been at least four free dining venues on every NCL ship we have been on, the two MDR, the buffet, and then a 24 hour restaurant serving sandwiches, burgers, etc. (O'Sheehans is on the newer ships; on the Star I believe it was the Blue Lagoon).

NCL also recently stated it's intention to take one of the specialty restaurants, the Asian noodle bar, into the complementary column. I don't know if that has been completed on the Dawn.

In addition, there are a usually a few other complementary choices for certain times, like burgers, hot dogs, sometimes pizza, etc. outside around the pool, a lunch time bar-be-que on the pool deck with ribs, chicken, corn on the cob, etc. In short, there are plenty of places to get free food on the ships.

There have been at least four free dining venues on every NCL ship we have been on, the two MDR, the buffet, and then a 24 hour restaurant serving sandwiches, burgers, etc. (O'Sheehans is on the newer ships; on the Star I believe it was the Blue Lagoon).

NCL also recently stated it's intention to take one of the specialty restaurants, the Asian noodle bar, into the complementary column. I don't know if that has been completed on the Dawn.

In addition, there are a usually a few other complementary choices for certain times, like burgers, hot dogs, sometimes pizza, etc. outside around the pool, a lunch time bar-be-que on the pool deck with ribs, chicken, corn on the cob, etc. In short, there are plenty of places to get free food on the ships.

Do the 2 MDR's serve the same thing or are there different menu's?

What are the price ranges of the for fee options?

Glad to know there are lots of readily available inclusive options.:)

If you like options galore (entertainment, activities, and dining), then you will love NCL. Reserve your main shows and if you are dining at any of the specialty restaurants (which by no means is necessary to enjoy good food on board, imo), otherwise, just show up at what you want to do, when you want to do it.

There are many tips/hints threads on every NCL ship, a search will point you in the direction of choice.

My tips: 1. If you are experienced with other lines, do not feel like you need to do everything-- you cannot-- do not allow that to frustrate you. 2. Explore the ship and try many different things, early on. 3. Eat in a dining room at embarkation 4. Have a blast.

Most drinks are $10 or less. Beer is around $7, or less. Martini tastings and bucket of beer specials are a good deal.

Cheers

Do the 2 MDR's serve the same thing or are there different menu's?

What are the price ranges of the for fee options?

Glad to know there are lots of readily available inclusive options.:)

For the Getaway its 3 MDRs and they might serve the same thing - have to check onboard for the menus which will be outside the MDR, at Guest Services or on TV screen in your room.

The starting cover prices per person for the Specialty Restaurants and show are (add 18% auto tip for the final price)

La Cucina - $15

LeBistro - $20

Cagney's - $30

Teppannaki - $25

Moderno - $20

Sushi - Al Carte usually about $3-5 a dish

Ocean Blue - $ 29 or $39 or $49 (prices changed alot, I don't know what the current one)

Illuminatium show - $39

If you like options galore (entertainment, activities, and dining), then you will love NCL. Reserve your main shows and if you are dining at any of the specialty restaurants (which by no means is necessary to enjoy good food on board, imo), otherwise, just show up at what you want to do, when you want to do it.

There are many tips/hints threads on every NCL ship, a search will point you in the direction of choice.

My tips: 1. If you are experienced with other lines, do not feel like you need to do everything-- you cannot-- do not allow that to frustrate you. 2. Explore the ship and try many different things, early on. 3. Eat in a dining room at embarkation 4. Have a blast.

Most drinks are $10 or less. Beer is around $7, or less. Martini tastings and bucket of beer specials are a good deal.

Cheers

Good advice indeed.:)

Are all dining rooms open on embarkation?

For the Getaway its 3 MDRs and they might serve the same thing - have to check onboard for the menus which will be outside the MDR, at Guest Services or on TV screen in your room.

The starting cover prices per person for the Specialty Restaurants and show are (add 18% auto tip for the final price)

La Cucina - $15

LeBistro - $20

Cagney's - $30

Teppannaki - $25

Moderno - $20

Sushi - Al Carte usually about $3-5 a dish

Ocean Blue - $ 29 or $39 or $49 (prices changed alot, I don't know what the current one)

Illuminatium show - $39

Thanks for the info.

What type of show is Illuminatium?

Are there any other shows that do not attract a fee?

Sorry for all the questions but I am an absolute novice when it comes to things NCL.:)

Good advice indeed.:)

Are all dining rooms open on embarkation?

No. The staff will usually direct you to the Buffet. Taste and Savor are usually open for lunch. The MDR is not. I don't recall if O'Sheehans or any of the other spots are open.

Cheers

Thanks for the info.

What type of show is Illuminatium?

Are there any other shows that do not attract a fee?

Sorry for all the questions but I am an absolute novice when it comes to things NCL.:)

For the Getaway, that only show that has a fee. The other 2 shows - Burn the Floor and Legally Blonde are free. The Illuminatium (i know i'm misspelling it badly) is a magic show.

Edit: Here, this should give a good idea what the Getaway looks like: http://beyondships.com/NorwegianGetaway-Tour-1.html

Edited by maywell

No. The staff will usually direct you to the Buffet. Taste and Savor are usually open for lunch. The MDR is not. I don't recall if O'Sheehans or any of the other spots are open.

Cheers

Thanks...so you do have some options other than the buffet.

What time are rooms typically available on embarkation day?

Edited by Bajan Keith

For the Getaway, that only show that has a fee. The other 2 shows - Burn the Floor and Legally Blonde are free. The Illuminatium (i know i'm misspelling it badly) is a magic show.

Edit: Here, this should give a good idea what the Getaway looks like: http://beyondships.com/NorwegianGetaway-Tour-1.html

Thanks again.

Thanks...so you do have some options other than the buffet.

What time are rooms typically available on embarkation day?

Yes. It is our family's tradition to enjoy that first sit down meal, and bask in the I-can't-believe-we're-on-the-ship sensation.

Rooms are ready in the mid afternoon, if I recall correctly. Luggage arrives in the evening-- which means pack a bathing suit on your tote if you want to swim the first day.

Cheers

Mitsugirly gives wonderful reviews: Her GA review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048113&referrerid=127837

can certainly get you in the mood to hop aboard the GA.

A good Q&A thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1973491&referrerid=127837

And Roger001's photobucket:

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/media/Getaway1/DSCN5596_zps8f68ea0b.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

Cheers

Illusionarium has been a magic show, but it may be changing. There is also the Grammy Experience (bar with Grammy award winning performer - changes from time to time.)

O'Sheehan's is free.

Flamingo Grill is free.

The buffet on this ship is massive. You won't believe your eyes. They have stuff like hand-scooped ice cream - at mealtimes and soft serve.

We prefer the extra charge restaurants for dinner, though, although the included restaurants are perfectly good. It's just that the atmosphere is better in some of the extra charge restaurants.

Le Bistro is romantic.

Cagneys - good steak.

Moderno - Brazilian BBQ

Ocean Blue

If you can afford a suite, get a spa suite - you get access to the Haven and also to the spa. If you can't afford a suite, get a spa stateroom so you get access to the spa - it is FANTASTIC!

Don't pack any dress up clothes. They are not needed. I wear sundresses and maxi dresses and swimsuits most all the time onboard. My husband wears long pants and a shirt with a collar for dinner.

There is so much onboard this ship that you will never be able to do it all in a week!

Illusionarium has been a magic show, but it may be changing. There is also the Grammy Experience (bar with Grammy award winning performer - changes from time to time.)

O'Sheehan's is free.

Flamingo Grill is free.

The buffet on this ship is massive. You won't believe your eyes. They have stuff like hand-scooped ice cream - at mealtimes and soft serve.

We prefer the extra charge restaurants for dinner, though, although the included restaurants are perfectly good. It's just that the atmosphere is better in some of the extra charge restaurants.

Le Bistro is romantic.

Cagneys - good steak.

Moderno - Brazilian BBQ

Ocean Blue

If you can afford a suite, get a spa suite - you get access to the Haven and also to the spa. If you can't afford a suite, get a spa stateroom so you get access to the spa - it is FANTASTIC!

Don't pack any dress up clothes. They are not needed. I wear sundresses and maxi dresses and swimsuits most all the time onboard. My husband wears long pants and a shirt with a collar for dinner.

There is so much onboard this ship that you will never be able to do it all in a week!

Thanks for the tips.

The fact that you don't have to dress up is what's really selling my wife on this cruise line.:)

Mitsugirly gives wonderful reviews: Her GA review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048113&referrerid=127837

can certainly get you in the mood to hop aboard the GA.

A good Q&A thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1973491&referrerid=127837

And Roger001's photobucket:

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/media/Getaway1/DSCN5596_zps8f68ea0b.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

Cheers

Thanks....those links are awesome.:)