Just home from Freedom 4/12-4/19. A few thoughts

ryano

Just got home from Freedom a couple hours ago. :(

Overall a wonderful cruise. Perfect weather all week :)

It had been 3 years since I last cruised on Freedom or any ship. The ship looks really good and the service for the most part was great, the food was still good and we had a great time all week.

The increased drink prices are real and IMHO, drinks were much weaker than I remember. Prices fluctuated too which was strange. A lava flow at the pool bar would be 12.00 + 18% but at the schooner bar 10.00 + 18%. :confused: The few cocktails I ordered were at least 10.00 though. Beer 6.00 + 18%. Bar service ranged from ok to just downright poor. It was tough to get a drink at the pool and there is a noticeable shortage of poolside waiters. The schooner bar was spot on though and service was good and the drinks great. They are PUSHING drink packages hard!

We dined at Chops the first night. The filet was ok but the sides much different and not as good as I remembered from several years ago. The once wonderful huge shrimp cocktail this time had a "frozen" taste and were over cooked. The baked potato very small compared to the past but it was too big then anyway. The cheesecake offering was nowhere near as good as it use to be when I dined there in 2011. Price was 35.00 pp.

Three nights we had dinner in the MDR. Our servers Were great and the food was fine. Escargot and shrimp cocktail available every night. We were out all three nights in about an hour. One night we dined in the Windjammer which was a first which I will definitely repeat! Windjammer food to me was great all week and even better than the MDR most times. I never thought I would ever say that. Lunch at Johnny Rockets one day was good and the service great!

We ate at Giovanni's Table the night we left Falmouth and this experience was absolutely incredible! One of the finest meals I've ever had and a true dining experience. I had a shrimp dish which was most excellent and crab stuffed ravioli and the 4 of us shared various sides which were all good. Best meal by far all week and the service excellent!

My cabin attendant was Trevor was great! I was on deck 6 in 6315 the accessible PR.

I didn't see much of the shows as they are the same they were back in 2012. I did see the Ice show which I enjoyed even though I had seen it back then. The juggler was good and and both comedians I thought were very funny.

Again, overall a great cruise. Met some great people from our Meet and Mingle and had fun. It was good to be on Freedom again and all this is just my thoughts :) I'm sad that it had to end but look forward to changing ships on my countdown ticker for 2016. I'm going on Allure! Which I booked onboard! :)

I'm sure I may think of other things! If there any questions please ask. I saved the Cruise Compasses and will be glad to answer questions :)

Looking forward to Allure in April 2016!

So glad you had a good time! Just curious if you had luck finding an accessible parking space or if it was as packed as it was last month.

It was packed! And I got there early because Of what you reported! With that said, everything else was the smoothest yet! Excellent embarking and disembarking at Terminal 1

It was packed! And I got there early because Of what you reported! With that said, everything else was the smoothest yet! Excellent embarking and disembarking at Terminal 1
Was the entire garaage packed or just he accessible spaces? What time did you get there? What deck did you park at. I think they built the garage too small and they are giving 40% off passes to the many hotels in the area to give out.

Was the entire garaage packed or just he accessible spaces? What time did you get there? What deck did you park at. I think they built the garage too small and they are giving 40% off passes to the many hotels in the area to give out.

Sorry about that. Just the accessible spaces were packed. There seemed to be plenty of regular parking. I parked on deck 3 and was actually able to make a regular space work but it was a long way from the elevator. We got there around 1030am. There should definitely be more accessible parking IMHO.

Other than that, very nice experience at Terminal 1. :)

Edited by ryano

Sorry about that. Just the accessible spaces were packed. There seemed to be plenty of regular parking. I parked on deck 3 and was actually able to make a regular space work but it was a long way from the elevator. We got there around 1030am. There should definitely be more accessible parking IMHO.

Thanks for posting so quickly!!! I was panicking. We are going to get there at 10 AM.

I think you should note in your Post-Cruise Survey that there should be more accessible parking. I have a sticker too but as I don't usually go to the car with DH, it is not something that we usually use in the Parking garage. I went into a lot of detail about problems with the new garage and I followed it up with a call and an emailing detailing the problems to Post Cruise Customer Service. Our problem was that the Port Authority was not supervising the pick-up area. Non-cruisers picking up cruisers were parking at the curbs and in the lanes causing terrible traffic jams. The Port Authority Security employee had no authority to ticket. He persuaded enough of the parkers to move that my husband was finally able to get to me and the bags. There should be big parking fines like $200 or more with prominently posting signs. Also, folks who had the porters take them to their cars had no problems. We will do this next month and if we are on one of the ramps, will probably have him or her drop me with the luggage at the elevator for the closest garage floor and just have my DH drive back to pick the luggage and me up.

Welcome home, Ryan! Glad you enjoyed your cruise and that you tried the WJ for dinner. Now you know why some of us prefer it to the MDR. I was wondering about the parking garage issue now that Explore is gone. My Mom sails from Port Canaveral a lot so she will be happy to know that it is easier to find spaces now. Still not right that a wheelchair user has to park on deck 3 in a regular spot though.:( They should convert some of the spots on the street level to handicap.

Hi Ryan, didn't know you were on Freedom with us. From your review it appears we moved in different circles.

We did Giovanni's and Windjammer for dinners. Had MTD reserved but chose WJ after the first night we tried it. Even the second formal night. Mostly hung out in Diamond lounge reading or at Boleros in the evening. Missed all the shows since like you we have seen them a few times. The Ice show we did and the guest gal from Russia did a great job as did the rest of the cast!

Parking is fine for other than handicapped. A nice new touch is that the porters will now take you right to your car. We have done that with Enchantment last month and then Sunday with Freedom. Actually, Enchantment cruisers get to park on the lower spaces since the way it started. When we arrived for Enchantment at 10:30 there were available handicapped on the first level. I did not use DW's pass but parked right next to a vacant one.

Hope to see you one day!

Edited by Scotty G

Welcome home, Ryan! Glad you enjoyed your cruise and that you tried the WJ for dinner. Now you know why some of us prefer it to the MDR. I was wondering about the parking garage issue now that Explore is gone. My Mom sails from Port Canaveral a lot so she will be happy to know that it is easier to find spaces now. Still not right that a wheelchair user has to park on deck 3 in a regular spot though.:( They should convert some of the spots on the street level to handicap.
A friend is on EN right now and he posted that at 1 PM, 2/3s of the top parking garage deck is empty. Edited by SherriZ366

Thx for the review. We will be on FOS in less than a month and eager to hear anything. Definitely plan on trying Giovanni's. When you went to dinner in Windjammer, did their offering reflect what was on the menu in the MDR? or was it completely different? Were you able to get bar service easily in the Windjammer at dinner? Thanks in advance for your replies. Marilyn

hello Ryan, was Capt Ron still on board? and do you have any idea of when he started or when he's going home?

Captain Ron was still onboard and I recall him saying he would be going home on vacation "soon" during a meet and greet in the Promenade :)

Thx for the review. We will be on FOS in less than a month and eager to hear anything. Definitely plan on trying Giovanni's. When you went to dinner in Windjammer, did their offering reflect what was on the menu in the MDR? or was it completely different? Were you able to get bar service easily in the Windjammer at dinner? Thanks in advance for your replies. Marilyn

They did in fact have some of the things from the MDR menu plus a bunch of other stuff. I didnt use bar service during that dinner but I did see people ordering drinks. :)

Hi Ryan, didn't know you were on Freedom with us. From your review it appears we moved in different circles.

We did Giovanni's and Windjammer for dinners. Had MTD reserved but chose WJ after the first night we tried it. Even the second formal night. Mostly hung out in Diamond lounge reading or at Boleros in the evening. Missed all the shows since like you we have seen them a few times. The Ice show we did and the guest gal from Russia did a great job as did the rest of the cast!

Parking is fine for other than handicapped. A nice new touch is that the porters will now take you right to your car. We have done that with Enchantment last month and then Sunday with Freedom. Actually, Enchantment cruisers get to park on the lower spaces since the way it started. When we arrived for Enchantment at 10:30 there were available handicapped on the first level. I did not use DW's pass but parked right next to a vacant one.

Hope to see you one day!

Hi Ryan & Linda,

We will be sailing the Freedom in a couple of weeks and are curious as to whether or not the Freedom offers a Broadway show as do some of the other RCL ships. I notice that you did not take in the shows on your most recent sailing but want to ask if a Broadway type show is currently offered on the Freedom. If offered, what is the title of the production? (I figured that you would know even though you did not attend.)

Thanks,

Jerry & Linda

Hi Ryan & Linda,

We will be sailing the Freedom in a couple of weeks and are curious as to whether or not the Freedom offers a Broadway show as do some of the other RCL ships. I notice that you did not take in the shows on your most recent sailing but want to ask if a Broadway type show is currently offered on the Freedom. If offered, what is the title of the production? (I figured that you would know even though you did not attend.)

Thanks,

Jerry & Linda

Marquee and Once Upon A Time were the two production shows in the main theater. :) I dont believe either of these are considered "Broadway shows" though.

Ryano,

Thank you so much for the update on Freedom! Can't wait to be back on her in August! I noticed that you had saved the Compasses. Any way you can post them or email? It would be greatly appreciated, as I am planning my parents' first cruise ever! Thanks in advance!

Jen