Review of our Spring Break '15 Cruise on Carnival SunShine

PaulMedik

Cruisers were myself, DW Karen, DS Spencer 18, and DS Britt 14. We also had two other families on the cruise with us that have kids our sons ages.

This was our second Spring Break cruising without our oldest son Bryson 20 since his college SB is a different week than our two younger sons. Bryson will be going with us this coming July on Carnival Pride.

This was our third cruise on this ship, but our first since she was renamed Sunshine. Other than some of the copper décor on the fire doors / stairwell area, there is very little of Destiny in evidence on Sunshine.

The short version of our cruise on Destiny:

Like many others here we had read of the problems with the refurbishment and read reviews slamming her and blaming her for bad experiences, but without hesitation I can recommend her; she was in fine shape and her crew was very proud of her. Sunshine is high on our list of ships we plan to sail again.

Was everything perfect? For us, yes. For one of the families traveling with us, no; they had a midship deck 7 suite and had many electrical issues as well as no AC. They also had a water issue one night where they lost all water and also had electrical issues that night as well. Even with all of the issues they experienced, they never once mentioned that it ruined their cruise nor did they overwhelm the guest services desk with demands of refunds. Other than telling us what happened, they didn't mention it at any other time.

Our ports were Nassau, St Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk. We made all ports on time and enjoyed each one.

Food and shows were great (Yes, we went to the shows this time).

Embarkation was smooth as was debarkation.

End of short version of review.

Longer version;

Last year we enjoyed driving to Baltimore, but that drive was less than half the distance of Port Canaveral. We left home on Wednesday April 1 at around 1:30PM. Ten hours later we pulled in to our hotel Amelia Hotel at the Beach.

p1121899467-5.jpg

The hotel offers a continental breakfast which was very tasty.

Amelia Island allows 4x4 vehicles on the beach so of course we had to try that out;

p1131300803-5.jpg

Basically there's enough area to do a large circle and room to park. We expected to be able to drive up and down the beach and spin circles.....and I'm glad that option wasn't an option.

After our drive on the beach we headed for the golf course and warmed up on the driving range;

p1121904206-5.jpg

We played 18 holes and enjoyed a nice lunch at the club house in between the front and back nine. I also had to purchase four gloves for my foursome and some extra balls. Suffices to say that our morning of golf was quite a bit longer than we had planned.

p1121906222-5.jpg

p1121906875-5.jpg

p1121908860-5.jpg

We spent more time among the moss covered trees than on the fairway so that's what I have pictures of.

We had planned to golf in the morning, then drive to Cocoa Beach and spend the late afternoon on the beach watching the ships sail away, but it was after dark by the time we arrived at Cocoa Beach.

The boys were more pleased with our room at LaQuinta Oceanfront;

p1121910083-5.jpg

Two queen beds in one room, two bathrooms, kitchen, and a room with two couches that made into beds;

p1121910951-5.jpg

p1121911201-5.jpg

We had planned to go to FishLips, but settled for a compromise;

p1121911879-2.jpg

We did enjoy a nice walk on the beach, but everything at and around the pier closes by 9PM.

Sunrise from our balcony the next morning;

p1121912470-5.jpg

La Quinta breakfast;

p1121912979-5.jpg

On previous cruises from Port Canaveral we have stayed at Radisson and Country Inn & Suites, but from now on we will be staying at La Quinta Oceanfront;

p1121913571-5.jpg

Other Cocoa Beach options are nice and have features that are better, but the comfortable room combined with location, location, location puts La Quinta Oceanfront ahead of all others. Now if they would just work on the pier area and bring in the nightlife from Clearwater Beach.....

One of my coworkers had just returned from beach and said 'the water is 62 degrees! You won't even get in it!' She was wrong;

p1121921193-5.jpg

Granted it was very chilly water, but we spent quite a bit of time in the water;

p1121920595-5.jpg

We rented four chairs and an umbrella and spent the entire day soaking in the sun and splashing in the waves. We had planned to golf at Cocoa Beach Country Club, but that will be on our future list of plans. We also planned to go to FishLips, but ended up eating at the pier.

On the morning of our cruise we were met with clear skies;

p1121922291-5.jpg

Funnel sighting;

p1121923537-5.jpg

The signs with instructions as to which ship is at which pier were not working so we took a tour of all of the piers before finding the correct one for Sunshine.

It is much easier to take pictures from a limo than when driving.....

Finally our ship;

p1121923719-5.jpg

We arrived at the port at 10:20 and dropped off our luggage and passengers while I went to park. I found a parking spot on the ground level of the garage three spaces from the walkway / tunnel to our ship.

Checkin was quick and painless even though we were traveling with BC for the first time instead of passports. Our passports all expired less than two weeks before the cruise so I opted to wait until May to renew them and so Spencer's will be for ten years instead of five (He turned 18 on March 28).

At 11:12 we were heading up the escalator to begin boarding;

p1121924141-5.jpg

Port Canaveral has a crazy long zig zagging gangway;

p1121925339-5.jpg

Finally on board. My tired crew looks real enthused don't they?

p1121945445-5.jpg

We made our way to our room to drop off carryon bags and check out the balcony view;

p1121945467-5.jpg

Our ship pins were ready and waiting for us;

p1121946162-5.jpg

Karen and I ate by the back windows of the new restaurants on deck 9. What once was a noisy pool area is now a very relaxing place to enjoy a meal;

p1121947314-5.jpg

I had the pleasure of being served by this young man on at least half a dozen occasions during the week;

p1121947331-5.jpg

Karen opted for a much healthier meal from JiJi's, but I saw her eyeballing my burger;

p1121947667-5.jpg

After lunch I mounted the fisheye lens and got some shots of our room;

p1121948330-5.jpg

p1121948493-5.jpg

p1121951381-5.jpg

I had planned to walk the ship and get fisheye pics of every area, but Britt and friends stopped by and that plan was nixed;

p1121952093-5.jpg

Edited by PaulMedik

p1121953710-5.jpg

p1121952967-5.jpg

We headed up to Serenity to check out the front of the ship. I must say the Serenity area on Sunshine is the best in the fleet! Check out the forward view;

p1121954573-5.jpg

By 1:44PM the ship was filling up with people;

p1121954769-5.jpg

All afternoon we had dolphins swimming and playing beside the ship;

p1121955207-5.jpg

p1121956745-5.jpg

The first of too many drinks on this cruise;

p1121957041-5.jpg

The Muster drill was held outside on deck 4 and was hot as well as a bit longer than others. It was well organized and over in plenty of time for sail away.

Fishlips, which I had planned to visit;

p1121957891-5.jpg

We untied promptly at 4:00PM and were on our way down the channel twenty minutes later;

p1121958137-5.jpg

p1121958177-5.jpg

p1121959345-5.jpg

I believe this was the longest wake we had the entire cruise. Those who cruise aft will recognize that a short wake means the seas are rough and if it stretches to the horizon, then seas are calm. Given that this was our longest wake, it suffices to say that smooth sailing was not ahead;

p1121959565-5.jpg

p1121953710-5.jpg

p1121952967-5.jpg

We headed up to Serenity to check out the front of the ship. I must say the Serenity area on Sunshine is the best in the fleet! Check out the forward view;

p1121954573-5.jpg

By 1:44PM the ship was filling up with people;

p1121954769-5.jpg

All afternoon we had dolphins swimming and playing beside the ship;

p1121955207-5.jpg

p1121956745-5.jpg

A great room, and most fabulous balcony. WOW WOW WOW.

Sooooooooooo EXCITED to see this review!!!!:D:D

The family looks GREAT as always....

Cannot WAIT to read this and see all of the pictures......

Sunshine has been on our radar for a while now.....

Geez, SO many good reviews going on right now....

I may need a vacation day in my future just to keep up.:D:D

I'm loving your review and pics!! :D My BF and I are sailing on the Sunshine next December (2016) so it's great to read all about it and see what the ship looks like, inside and out. Your balcony was awesome!! We have an aft balcony on Sunshine but it's definatly not as big as yours.