First Day for a newbie

fcpanda89

Hi there.

We are embarking on Ventura tomorrow for our first cruise. Just had a few last minute questions.

-We are driving down from the Leeds area. I can see that 3 other cruises are departing from Southampton. Has anyone from the north got a good idea of how long to allow for travel?

-I'm looking at taking my dinner jacket, bow tie for the formal evenings. Am I going to be overdressed for Ventura and does anyone else dress up?

-What's a good plan of action for the first day when you get on? We haven't booked excursions, restaurants etc. so will probably do that but wondered what else anyone usually does? Is it advisable to pack swimming stuff in hand luggage so you can swim when you embark straight away?

Thanks

Tom

Hi there.

We are embarking on Ventura tomorrow for our first cruise. Just had a few last minute questions.

-We are driving down from the Leeds area. I can see that 3 other cruises are departing from Southampton. Has anyone from the north got a good idea of how long to allow for travel?

-I'm looking at taking my dinner jacket, bow tie for the formal evenings. Am I going to be overdressed for Ventura and does anyone else dress up?

-What's a good plan of action for the first day when you get on? We haven't booked excursions, restaurants etc. so will probably do that but wondered what else anyone usually does? Is it advisable to pack swimming stuff in hand luggage so you can swim when you embark straight away?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom

We live in York and have made the drive many times both from here and from Sheffield. It takes us about 4.15hrs from Sheffield, an hour on top from York. We take the M1/A43 route. We aim to get there about 11.30-12 usually.

You will not be out of place on formal evenings, its pretty much 95% formal.

Most head to the buffet first then perhaps explore the ship.

Regards,

Kevin

Hi and welcome to CC.

You'll find that many do dress up for formal nights and you'll be fine. My DH wears a dinner suit and either bow tie or special tie.

On the first day you won't be able to get into your cabin until after lunch, so be aware you may be carrying your hand luggage with you for a while. I'd suggest you go exploring and find your way around the ship. Its also a good time to take photos of the ship before it gets too crowded. You'll be given a guide to the ship, so take that with you and wander.

Luggage can arrive quite late unless you're lucky, so unpacking will also be on the agenda, as well as muster with your life jacket.

Sorry no idea about travel.

Have a great cruise. We'll be following you on the Ventura in June (we've been on her twice already), and can't wait!

Probably too late for this peice of advice, but I wouldn't drive down on the day of departure. We are from Sheffield and I guess it's about 4 hours plus stops. You should also check out the football traffic at various points on the journey. For example, Leeds are playing Sheffield Wednesday at midday tomorrow so there might be a couple of extra people on the M1.

As for the dress code I always wear the DJ as do around 80% of the men on the cruises the I've done.

My first day ritual is to relax while my wife does all the work - pretty much like every other day, she says.

Have a great time

David

I would estimate around 4.5hours actual driving time. Add on 45mins for a break half way.

As you are sailing from Mayflower terminal, I would suggest you stay on the M27 and take the docks spur M271. At the end of this turn left at the roundabout onto Redbridge Road - watch the speed cameras. After about 600 yards come off the slip road at the flyover and turn right on the roundabout under the flyover and then enter the docks though gate 20. This takes you through the container port but just keep turning left when you come to a junction. You may see signs saying dock 106 or Mayflower - just follow these. Eventually you will see the ship. If you have booked CPS parking, you will be directed to the appropriate area.

Brian

Probably too late for this peice of advice, but I wouldn't drive down on the day of departure. We are from Sheffield and I guess it's about 4 hours plus stops. You should also check out the football traffic at various points on the journey. For example, Leeds are playing Sheffield Wednesday at midday tomorrow so there might be a couple of extra people on the M1.

As for the dress code I always wear the DJ as do around 80% of the men on the cruises the I've done.

My first day ritual is to relax while my wife does all the work - pretty much like every other day, she says.

Have a great time

David

I think the op will be in Southampton before any match traffic affects their journey. However thanks for the heads up as we are travelling from home in York to Mums in Sheffield tomorrow lunchtime,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We travel down from Middlesbrough but always stay the night before, would never chance travelling on the day, too many holds ups etc. on the MI. Like Kevinyork we use M1/A43, Never go near the lovely M25!

We usually stay at the Novotel or Holiday Inn, enjoy a lovely meal at La Regatta, just an extra nights holiday really.

Takes us around 6 hours which includes a couple of stops.

Have a wonderful cruise, you'll love Ventura.:)

I would allow plenty of time tomorrow as Spurs are playing at Southampton - will be a lot of extra traffic heading towards Southampton from the London area around lunchtime onwards.

It's an early kick off tomorrow - 12:45 - so traffic will be earlier than usual on match days

We are also in Leeds and its about 230 miles. Same distance as Leeds to Cardiff which is a regular trip for me.

We have only done an on the day trip once. We left about 6.30am and passed the P&O coach near Barnsley!

At 10.30am we were at Rownhams Services killing time and this was without doing break neck speeds.

The coach turned up about 2pm!

Edited by Thejuggler

We are also on Ventura setting sail tomorrow (we are on the coach that leaves Sheffield at 8am )

A few people on this cruise have joined a roll call on this site and have arranged to meet up in the Metropolis Bar on Sky Deck at 11am on first sea day (sunday) You are very welcome to join us.

Ann and Mark

Forgot to say....I also bring a antibacterial pack of wipes to give the cabin surfaces a good clean - I'm sure door handles and light switches are never cleaned.

Actually I give them to my DH with instructions on what to do as I'm unpacking.......I can hear his "chuntering" as he has to leave his balcony chair....! He's very good really and does the job very well.