NCL Getaway vs. RCCL Independence

Chances are they'll have another sale starting May 1st giving the UBP again. Same sort of tactics RCCL is using with this BOGO crap.:rolleyes:

There is a promo to replace it, but it offers much less value for us personally. For people that won't drink, there's still quite a bit of value there.

Drink package replaced by free internet

Dining package replaced by $75 dining credit

Shore excursion reduced to $50 per port from $75

Prepaid gratuities replaced by $50 OBC

I heard that the new promo in May won't include the UBP. Hurry and book now if the UBP is important to you.

The Getway is a much newer ship. We sailed it last year and my kids loved it. My 10-year didn't want to join the Kids Club so I can't say how their program is like for that age group. But my 7-year old went to the Kids Club and she loved it.

My kids couldn't get enough of the slides, ropes course, bungee trampoline and zip line.

Price is often the deciding factor for our family. Our last 4 cruises (and next 2 booked on the Freedom) are with RCCL. If the Getaway was priced the same as the Freedom, I would have tried the Getaway.

Unfortunately, when I called NCL to book the Getaway, I found out their 50% off the 3rd and 4th guests is even more of a scan than RCCL BOGOHO sale where they jack up the rates of the 1st passenger to cover the "loss" on the discounted passenger. NCL was offering the 3rd and 4th at 50% off, I called and they wanted $719 for each of the first two and $649 each for the 3rd and 4th. When I asked why it was not half off, I was told it is half off the suggested retail price per person, not half off what the 1st two passengers are paying. A total sham in my opinion.

If your considering switching over to NCL, you better hurry. The Freestyle promotion (plus kids sail free) that they have is ending April 30, 2015.

Done and Done. As mentioned above, it appears that next month's specials will not include the Drink package. Looks like I got in just in time.

At the end of the day, we would be having fun no matter which ship we chose, but the value for our family this time was on Getaway.

So glad I found this thread. I have been searching for a cruise this summer (last minute, I know) and was seriously looking at Getaway. My only concern is that our last 3 cruises were on Oasis/Allure and I'm afraid of being let down since we love that class so much.

I think we may make the jump, but was wondering if 1 balcony stateroom is comparable to RCCL for a family of 4 (kids ages are 8 and 10)? I'd lvoe to do 2 connecting rooms but I'd also love to save some $$!

I've sailed on both Norwegian Getaway and Independence Of The Seas. I happen to think that the Norwegian Getaway is the finest cruise ship in the world right now. I have never had a more amazing cruise experience than I did on Norwegian Getaway. Totally loved it! You can read my review here.

If you're going to sail on Norwegian Getaway and you enjoy relaxing in a swimming pool or Jacuzzi, I would strongly recommend booking a spa cabin. That will get you access to the Thermal Suite within the spa. The Thermal Suite is not only a collection of saunas and steam rooms, but also a very large indoor swimming pool that is heated warm like a Jacuzzi. Best pool on the ship, and usually not very crowded. Because it's indoors, it's great for a early morning or late night swim when the wind would make an outdoor pool or Jacuzzi uncomfortable during entry/exit. Also, the Thermal Suite is located directly above the bridge and has huge picture windows looking forward with an amazing view. You can relax on either heated tile loungers or soft cushion loungers and enjoy the spectacular view. But all of that is ONLY if you book a spa cabin, or pay extra for spa access.

I am totally looking forward to the new Norwegian Escape, which is similar to the Getaway but incorporates a number of improvements and refinements.

• 4 months later...

I've sailed on both Norwegian Getaway and Independence Of The Seas. I happen to think that the Norwegian Getaway is the finest cruise ship in the world right now. I have never had a more amazing cruise experience than I did on Norwegian Getaway. Totally loved it! You can read my review here.

If you're going to sail on Norwegian Getaway and you enjoy relaxing in a swimming pool or Jacuzzi, I would strongly recommend booking a spa cabin. That will get you access to the Thermal Suite within the spa. The Thermal Suite is not only a collection of saunas and steam rooms, but also a very large indoor swimming pool that is heated warm like a Jacuzzi. Best pool on the ship, and usually not very crowded. Because it's indoors, it's great for a early morning or late night swim when the wind would make an outdoor pool or Jacuzzi uncomfortable during entry/exit. Also, the Thermal Suite is located directly above the bridge and has huge picture windows looking forward with an amazing view. You can relax on either heated tile loungers or soft cushion loungers and enjoy the spectacular view. But all of that is ONLY if you book a spa cabin, or pay extra for spa access.

I am totally looking forward to the new Norwegian Escape, which is similar to the Getaway but incorporates a number of improvements and refinements.

If you didn't have the spa pool access would you have had such a good time? Did that make your cruise?

We are in the same situation... RCCL Freedom of the Seas (sister to Independence) or NCL Getaway during March break with 2 15 year old boys .... price wise they are the same (higher Getaway costs but if you take off what we would spend on drinks as we would get the free beverage package then they are the same). So cost is not a factor and the ports are almost the same (Labadee or NCL's Bahama's island only difference). Being March Break I wonder if the Getaway will feel way more crowded it seems to have smaller pools etc. Which ship is better for teens?

Run, don't walk, to the Getaway. We've been on the Indy and while its a great ship, for the same money you are getting so much more and on a relatively new ship too. We're on the Getaway in March and I can't wait so if you take my advice, make sure you do a good post-cruise review for us.

Have a great cruise (on the Getaway :D )

If you didn't have the spa pool access would you have had such a good time? Did that make your cruise?

We are in the same situation... RCCL Freedom of the Seas (sister to Independence) or NCL Getaway during March break with 2 15 year old boys .... price wise they are the same (higher Getaway costs but if you take off what we would spend on drinks as we would get the free beverage package then they are the same). So cost is not a factor and the ports are almost the same (Labadee or NCL's Bahama's island only difference). Being March Break I wonder if the Getaway will feel way more crowded it seems to have smaller pools etc. Which ship is better for teens?

Flowrider

Flowrider

Flowrider