New fee on NCL

I really dont get the up in arms thing on prices going up. Prices go up. When I go to disney, the prices go up every year, sometimes more than once a year. They don't notify me ahead of time. Likewise, if one stays during peak times restaurant prices are higher. That changes from day to day. No one notifies you before arrival - and it's just as much a captive audience as a cruise.

Yeah, it sucks they changed the policy mid-week, but it sounds like they reversed it anyway.

You book a Disney vacation through a TA. You pre-paid for your hotel at $239.00 a day. You get there and they tell you their prices have gone up to $289.00 a day and you now owe them the difference.

You're okay with that because prices go up every year and sometimes more than once a year?

You're okay with that because they don't notify you ahead of time.

So....you just pay the difference and enjoy your vacation.

You're a better person that I am because I would not be happy!

Harriet

You book a Disney vacation through a TA. You pre-paid for your hotel at $239.00 a day. You get there and they tell you their prices have gone up to $289.00 a day and you now owe them the difference.

You're okay with that because prices go up every year and sometimes more than once a year?

Harriet

That's comparing apples and oranges. It's not like NCL is charging more for the fare. It's more like raising restaurant prices, room service fees, service charge fees. Disney changes restaurant prices all of the time. The same exact steak you ate in October is going to be pricier the last week of December. NCL did give notice on changing DSC, and people were still upset, even with advanced warning, and the ability to pre-pay in order to be grandfathered. If NCL wanted to change the charge to eat at Cagneys to $40, how much notice should be given? A week? Six months? A year?

This is just my observation, so please please please do not flame me.

I was on the jewel sailing April 4 out of Houston. Teppanyaki is pretty small. And it was pretty full and difficult to get reservations.

Right next to me were two adults with their two small children who were eating hamburgers and french fries. I found it pretty sad that some people did not get to go enjoy Teppanyaki and the fare that it offered because those two seats were taken by two kids eating hamburgers. Really?

I am thinking perhaps with the UDP there might be a shortage of seats.

Don't get me wrong, I love kids. And I believe kids should be able to eat in any specialty restaurant as long as they pay for that seat. If seats are now at a premium, that might mean that they need to pay the same price as everybody else.

So after having an argument ( friendly ) with DW, she brought up an interesting point that hasn't been mentioned yet, I don't think.

Not flaming you, just showing a different view. What about all of those passengers that booked their cruise and chose the UDP from the past promo for everyone in their cabin ? Are not all who are booked entitled to benefit from that promo ? I understand what you mean and I agree with you 100%, I would be ticked off if DW and I were the first 2 to be told it was fully booked and then find out there were 2 kids eating burgers.

But it could very well have been someone who didn't like what was offered on the menu and chose to eat something else. I guess what I'm trying to say is this will likely happen more often on future cruises due to the promo. JMHO

cheers...the Ump...:D

Charging for a child to eat an adult portion of a meal does not equal "hates children". I adore children, but I don't want to see them at a high end restaurant either. If the portion my 10 yo eats is the same plate they make for an adult, then why wouldn't NCL charge. Makes sense to me.

And the pp posting about kids eating burgers at Teppanyaki - to me that wouldn't mean they're being cheap, but that's what the kids wanted to eat. Likewise, they made the reservation, if NCL doesn't charge for that seat, they don't charge. I don't expect people to leave their kids out from a family restaurant just bc they don't like hibachi.

Uh - there are no "high end" restaurants on NCL lol Regardless, the price should be the price. I've been paying "adult" prices for mine at Disney since they were 9 :rolleyes:

If NCL wanted to change the charge to eat at Cagneys to $40, how much notice should be given? A week? Six months? A year?
I don't think they have to give any advance notice, since they don't require anyone to eat there, it is all the passenger's choice. Now, if they required everyone to eat there, it would be a different story. The same goes for all the recent changes, sans the increase in the DSC, which they did announce and give those that had booked cruises the opportunity to pre-pay at the old price. Edited by NLH Arizona

I really dont get the up in arms thing on prices going up. Prices go up. When I go to disney, the prices go up every year, sometimes more than once a year. They don't notify me ahead of time. Likewise, if one stays during peak times restaurant prices are higher. That changes from day to day. No one notifies you before arrival - and it's just as much a captive audience as a cruise.

Yeah, it sucks they changed the policy mid-week, but it sounds like they reversed it anyway.

Ticket price increases at Disney are always announced at least a week in advance.

Harriet

The price of your cruise didn't change, just as the price of my hotel didn't change. The prices of meals change. Duh.

Harriet

Disney would never do that. They do not even change their restaurant prices that often. Anyone saying otherwise is flat out wrong.

Meal changes are not. When I go get my dole whip and its $5.59 not $4.99 I don't piss and moan.

I don't know any restaurant that "announces" a price change; however, when you advertise something a certain way (kids eat free; kids eat half price) then those changes are announced. Good business etiquette.

That's comparing apples and oranges. It's not like NCL is charging more for the fare. It's more like raising restaurant prices, room service fees, service charge fees. Disney changes restaurant prices all of the time. The same exact steak you ate in October is going to be pricier the last week of December. NCL did give notice on changing DSC, and people were still upset, even with advanced warning, and the ability to pre-pay in order to be grandfathered. If NCL wanted to change the charge to eat at Cagneys to $40, how much notice should be given? A week? Six months? A year?

You are right about Disney changing their restaurant prices all the time...they do it seasonally and anyone who says they don't is flat wrong. See below:

Little known fact: Disney raises meal prices at many of its buffets and character meals during busy times of year. During these periods, a buffet or character meal will cost you about $4 more than normal (plus tax/tip) for an adult (ages 10+) and $2 more than normal (plus tax/tip) for a child under 10. (If you are on a Dining Plan, there is no upcharge at the restaurant.)

Edited by NLH Arizona

Uh - there are no "high end" restaurants on NCL lol Regardless, the price should be the price. I've been paying "adult" prices for mine at Disney since they were 9 :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm referring to offshore. As in Victoria & Alberts, although I'm not sure if even it has a "no kid" policy.

How about this.....

You book a Disney vacation from your TA for a hotel that includes breakfast. You get there and breakfast is no longer included.

You book a Disney vacation from your TA who tells you the tax on the hotel is 7%. You get there and the tax is now 10%.

You book a Disney vacation from your TA who tells you the tickets to Disney is $40.00. You get there and the tickets are now $50.00

Now remember.....you already paid for everything through your TA so now you have to pay more for the hotel tax and more for the Disney tickets plus you paid for breakfast that you thought was included....that is not included now.

Or....to make it really simple you prepaid for 4 Disney tickets - 2 Adult prices and 2 children's prices which were half price. You get there and find out the policy has changed and kids no longer get in half price so you need to pay the difference if you want your kids to get into Disney. Of course, you don't have to go to Disney if you don't want to pay the difference.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Disney doesn't decide how much tax it must collect - the local government does. Which is why tax rates on hotel stays have gone up from 11% all in to 20% all in at some hotels. And why certain hotels (All-Star Sports) incur a different tax rate than other hotel rooms. And no, Disney has never notified me of tax rate changes on their rooms.

And if a small price increase such as that makes you an unhappy person, you must be very miserable all the time, considering prices go up all the time. Heck, I paid $.19 more per gallon of gas this week than last. I didn't yell at the station attendant "hey, you didn't give me a week's notice!!" To think that something would apply to cruise ship life that doesn't anywhere else, is foolhardy.

Some people are so blindly loyal to the brand that they think any and all price increases are great and any attempt to make a comparison or analogy goes right over their heads because it may not be 100% exactly identical.

. Once again something was one way when we booked but changed now with no indication NCL will honor their price structure when we booked. Well, NCL won't get us with this one.

How about this.....

You book a Disney vacation from your TA for a hotel that includes breakfast. You get there and breakfast is no longer included.

You book a Disney vacation from your TA who tells you the tax on the hotel is 7%. You get there and the tax is now 10%.

You book a Disney vacation from your TA who tells you the tickets to Disney is $40.00. You get there and the tickets are now $50.00

Now remember.....you already paid for everything through your TA so now you have to pay more for the hotel tax and more for the Disney tickets plus you paid for breakfast that you thought was included....that is not included now.

Or....to make it really simple you prepaid for 4 Disney tickets - 2 Adult prices and 2 children's prices which were half price. You get there and find out the policy has changed and kids no longer get in half price so you need to pay the difference if you want your kids to get into Disney. Of course, you don't have to go to Disney if you don't want to pay the difference.

Harriet

If your TA tells you that your disney tickets are $50, you know you don't have an TA who knows anything! However, if you buy a package at WDW, room and tickets, your price will be what you paid. However, if you choose to book room only, and buy your tickets when you get there, there is a chance they went up in price from when you booked your room (since there are yearly price increases).

Companies change prices and policies all of the time. WDW used to have a dining plan that included appetizers and gratuities, and then changed it to no appetizers and no gratuities (and increased the price).

Just got off the NCL gem today wanted to report that without any notice halfway through our cruise last week and NCL decided to rake away 50% off children at specialty restaurants. We did complain to the restaurant managers and they agreed to let us continue to pay the discounted rate but it took quite an argument each time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Interesnting:this is the second posting on the same subject, but the first said they were nortified as soon as they boarded or had a reason to take kids to a specialty dining room. Someone has their facts mixed up. I am sure many will be bothered about this, but in a land restaurant do they offer adult meals at 1/2 for kids? Not since I can remember. Kids have a kids menu, but if they buy off the adult menu they pay adult prices.

........and that is what is happening when the new boss for ncl comes from Oceania who hates children....:rolleyes:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Oceania Cruises does not provide for the care, entertainment or supervision of children.

My guess is that the next fee will be pay pr hour in the children club for all hours, and new ships whitout childrens clubs at all....

No chilren club is more shops and more bars and more money in.....:p

.....and children don't drink, shop and spend any money....

doubt there will ever be new NCL ships built without a kids center. I think you know that, but adding a child care fee, I would not be surprised to see this happen and I don't think it is a terrible idea. Where can we go with kids and have child care with no cost? My biggest problem with all this is the communication Obviously NCL is doing a horrible job with PR and there should never be a charge change that is put into place after the sailing starts.

Edited by newmexicoNita

:D - Harriett, from one Platinum NCL'er to another - are you ready to discover more surprises on your perks this June with your sailing, I hope so. :eek:

Less for them, more for us - think selfishly for once, like I wrote earlier :D ;)

Really, save your breath - and, please ignore - at your sole discretion, of course. Thank you. Look forward to seeing your review afterward. :cool:

Only time will tell.....and June is just around the corner! LOL

Harriet

And you don't feel like the price structure you booked under should be honored?

From the tone of some of these posts, it would seem that when people get to their vacation (or whatever) and things which they were told were included aren't, or the prices have been raised, they smile, shake the person's hand, and say "congrats on pulling a fast one on me, you scamp." I find that hard to believe.

If I book airfare and am told, repeatedly, in every forum which I find (including direct contact with customer service), that bags fly free, and I get to the airport and they say "JK, that will be $30," I'm going to be peeved off, and their failure to follow through will be a factor in deciding whether to book with them again.

If I book a car rental and am told, repeatedly, in every forum which I find (including direct contact with customer service), that there are no fees, and I get to the rental counter and they say "JK, that will be $8.95 per day," I'm going to be peeved off, and their failure to follow through will be a factor in deciding whether to book with them again.

If I book an "All U Can Disney" Pass for $200 per person, and am told, repeatedly, in every forum which I find (including direct customer service), that it includes EPCOT, and I get there and they say "JK, EPCOT will be $75 per person), I'm going to be peeved off and their failure to follow through will be a factor in deciding whether to book with them again.

If I book[ed] my next NCL cruise and am told, repeatedly, in every forum which I find (including direct contact with customer service), that O'Sheehans is included as a complimentary venue, and I get on the ship and they yay "JK, its $25 per person," I'm going to be peeved off, and their failure to follow through will be a factor in deciding whether to book with them again.

Cruises have full discretion in trying for ports; you're not guaranteed to make any port. However, would people really be ok with it if they board a cruise that includes, say, Barcelona, and are told that NCL has decided that to longer offer Barcelona as a port, so they're going to skip it? Or would it maybe be a good idea for NCL to stop advertising cruises as stopping in Barcelona and giving any affected customers a heads up?

Edited by Cauzneffct

And you don't feel like the price structure you booked under should be honored?

No. If I checked in, and was told me the cost of my room, which I already paid for, went up, and I owed more money, yes, I'd be pissed. If I showed up at the airport, and was told my flight went up, and I had to fork over more money, I'd be pissed. But I believe it is mentioned in the cruise contract that policies can change. Prices are always going to go up. Policies are always going to be changing.

We booked a cabana on GSC, and at the time I booked, wristbands for the hippo slide were included. However, that policy was changed before our sailing. Now, prices for the cabana doubled, and I would have been angry if they charged me more than what I had already paid, but they couldn't, since we had a contract.

Edited by mjkacmom