Getaway Miami Hotels help needed ,Clueless Irish

Keith.W

Hi , We have booked to go on the Getaway in September , Have only done Med cruises. We are traveling from Ireland and we are looking at Hotels within walking distance to some shops and Bars . Our plan is to fly in the 16th September and spend 3 nights in Miami Pre Cruise.

We plan to do Miami Beach/South Beach one day but we are not sure what else,I like the look of South Beach but i am thinking we might be better of in the likes of Bay-side Market Place area which from what i have read has a few dining/drink options close by.

We will not be hiring a car so any recommendations would be grateful

Last September we stayed at the Miami B2 Downtown. We paid $89 for the night. The location was excellent! It is across the street from the Bayside Shopping. You would also be close to the free trolley and the People Mover. As an FYI September is Miami Spice month, which is worth checking out as you can get some great deals at some wonderful restaurants. On the morning of the cruise you can check out Bayfront Park,you can see the ships and if you are so inclined there is a free Yoga in the Park session at 9:00 am (they have mats you can use.)

Hope you enjoy Miami and have a wonderful time on the Getaway, she's a beauty!

Rochelle

Last September we stayed at the Miami B2 Downtown. We paid $89 for the night. The location was excellent! It is across the street from the Bayside Shopping. You would also be close to the free trolley and the People Mover. As an FYI September is Miami Spice month, which is worth checking out as you can get some great deals at some wonderful restaurants. On the morning of the cruise you can check out Bayfront Park,you can see the ships and if you are so inclined there is a free Yoga in the Park session at 9:00 am (they have mats you can use.)

Rochelle

Wow, that's a great price for downtown. Do any of the shops within walking distance have places to buy 6 or 12 packs of soda? Also, it looks like this hotel is now called the Yve Hotel?

Edited by Mistizoom

Rochelle

Thanks Rochelle that's a great deal and sounds like a good hotel location wise, thanks a for the Info on Miami Spice Month, and information on the free trolley and people mover. The yoga sounds great as well , will have to try it out :) Looking forward to my arrival , lets just hope that dollar to the euro gets better.

Edited by Keith.W

The hotel is located on a corner. Right across the street is a CVS drugstore and there was plenty of pop and water there.

As for the strength of the Euro, yes it will be very good for you if it gains some strength but I hope it can wait till the end of May when I return from my Europe cruise! :D

Rochelle

Just my opinion, but I personally would much prefer staying in South Beach rather than downtown. Bayside is worth maybe a very brief visit for a drink but I can't imagine spending 3 nights in that area.

I would imagine you would enjoy the beach in South Beach/Miami Beach. There are endless restaurants, bars & shops. I think if you hunt around, you could find a decent price on a hotel in South Beach or Miami Beach. It is much more walkable & pleasant to spend a few days.

There are 2 Courtyard Marriott's, a Four Points Sheraton...you might be able to snag a good price at these places. There are tons of hotels but these I happen to have first hand knowledge and know they are not super expensive.

Rochelle

We are booked for this hotel for our upcoming October cruise. But it has changed names and is now called Yve (pronounced eve). We booked here for the great location. It is across the street from Bayside and has a great view of the port. We are also flying down early, though just 2 days, and also thought about staying on south beach. But we have decide to keep our reservation and take a cab over for a beach day.

Just my opinion, but I personally would much prefer staying in South Beach rather than downtown. Bayside is worth maybe a very brief visit for a drink but I can't imagine spending 3 nights in that area.

I would imagine you would enjoy the beach in South Beach/Miami Beach. There are endless restaurants, bars & shops. I think if you hunt around, you could find a decent price on a hotel in South Beach or Miami Beach. It is much more walkable & pleasant to spend a few days.

There are 2 Courtyard Marriott's, a Four Points Sheraton...you might be able to snag a good price at these places. There are tons of hotels but these I happen to have first hand knowledge and know they are not super expensive.

We love the South Beach/Miami Beach area. Many nice hotels and some great places to eat. There was a nice shopping/restaurant area on Lincoln that was within walking distance of a lot of hotels.

We enjoyed Courtyard Cadillac Miami Beachfront Hotel. Right on Miami Beach. Took a short taxi drive to Lincoln Mall Shopping district near So. Beach. The beach is beautiful, and there is a cafe and an Italian restaurant on site. Located 3925 Collin Ave. Miami Beach. We liked it so much we've booked again for our next cruise out of Miami.

We are booked for this hotel for our upcoming October cruise. But it has changed names and is now called Yve (pronounced eve). We booked here for the great location. It is across the street from Bayside and has a great view of the port. We are also flying down early, though just 2 days, and also thought about staying on south beach. But we have decide to keep our reservation and take a cab over for a beach day.

Thanks for that information. I would not hesitate to stay there again and you have probably saved me a lot of time hunting for a hotel that is no more. I should have no trouble remembering the new name as it is a popular french name here in Canada.

Thanks again

Rochelle

My recommendation is the Brickell Hampton Inn. Close to the port, free Metromover to Bayfront Park (or take the free trolley - you'll see them all over downtown Miami), lots of shops and restaurants. The YVE is an old hotel on Biscayne Blvd that used to be a transient hotel and the rooms and bathrooms are tiny and noisy. They did a complete makeover and changed the name but the rooms are still tiny and it's on Biscayne Blvd which is the main drag thru downtown Miami.

Edited by Diver2014

Miami is the pits. Never been to a worse place in my life. Aggressive waiters, con artist bartenders, and just a seedy underbelly. The shopping isn't even that good unless you want a "South Bitch" tee shirt.

Save your money, we never stay more than the night before the cruise near the airport, then off the boat and straight back to the airport.

Miami is the pits. Never been to a worse place in my life. Aggressive waiters, con artist bartenders, and just a seedy underbelly. The shopping isn't even that good unless you want a "South Bitch" tee shirt.

Save your money, we never stay more than the night before the cruise near the airport, then off the boat and straight back to the airport.

Um, I note that you don't post where are are. I didn't know Miami had a 'seedy underbelly' and it's certainly NOT a pit. Stay home and leave us alone.

Depending on your ages and your persona type I stayed at Clevelander. It's a party hotel that's 21+, on Ocean drive, directly across the street from South Beach, Mangos and dozens of restaurants and night spots within walking distance. The "pool" area operates as a night club at night. If you don't like to party or not everyone is 21 it's sister hotel is right next door and called Essex House. I'm planning on staying at the Clevelander again when I sail the again next March.

My partner and I did a cruise from Miami last year and we stayed a couple of nights at the Doubletree Hotel in downtown Miami. We took at taxi to South Beach and spent the late morning and afternoon walking around the South Beach area. We then has a great dinner at Joe's Stone Crab in South Beach.

The second day we took the people mover over to Bayside Market and the surrounding area and walked around. We later took a taxi to Little Havana and spent an afternoon there. We enjoyed walking around and just relaxing.

There is a grocery store near the Doubletree (1 or 2 blocks) and we went there the night before our cruise and bought a case of bottled water to bring on the ship with us. We paid less than $10 for the case (12 - 1 liter bottles) which lasted the 7 day cruise. It beats paying $5 per bottle on the ship.

I hope this helps. We're sailing the Getaway in October and we're driving to Key West for a couple of days before our cruise and then spending the night before our cruise in South Beach (we want to have dinner at Joe's Stone Crab again)!

Hi , We have booked to go on the Getaway in September , Have only done Med cruises. We are traveling from Ireland and we are looking at Hotels within walking distance to some shops and Bars . Our plan is to fly in the 16th September and spend 3 nights in Miami Pre Cruise.

We plan to do Miami Beach/South Beach one day but we are not sure what else,I like the look of South Beach but i am thinking we might be better of in the likes of Bay-side Market Place area which from what i have read has a few dining/drink options close by.

We will not be hiring a car so any recommendations would be grateful

Anytime we cruise from Miami we stay at the Holiday Inn Bayside. Prices generally are reasonable and as you noted its close to Bayside Marketplace. In the evenings there's generally lots of things going on over there including live music. We really enjoy it.

You can cab ride to South Beach and it will run probably close to $20 or so. A cab ride to the port should be less than $10 so its a good central spot.

We've stayed at the Hampton at Brickell and the Intercontinental, which is across the street from Bayside. Both are nice and both are convenient to shopping and dining. Give the choice, I prefer the Intercontinental and you can find some good deals online if you look around.

You had dinner at Joe's Stone Crab? OMG, how on earth did you wangle that? I mean, we LIVE here and have never been able to get in without a two hour wait, which we just won't do. We end up going on over to Smith & Wollensky at the mouth of Govt Cut because we're starved by the time we get there.

Edited by Diver2014

I would reconsider renting a car. Just watch out as everyone seems to drive on the wrong side of the road.

heh, heh, heh....no, actually it's the right side of the road here. LOL!

Unless of course, you are referring to Miami drivers....they are all over the road! And drive with their horns. But I still love it here.

Edited by Diver2014

My partner and I did a cruise from Miami last year and we stayed a couple of nights at the Doubletree Hotel in downtown Miami. We took at taxi to South Beach and spent the late morning and afternoon walking around the South Beach area. We then has a great dinner at Joe's Stone Crab in South Beach.

The second day we took the people mover over to Bayside Market and the surrounding area and walked around. We later took a taxi to Little Havana and spent an afternoon there. We enjoyed walking around and just relaxing.

There is a grocery store near the Doubletree (1 or 2 blocks) and we went there the night before our cruise and bought a case of bottled water to bring on the ship with us. We paid less than $10 for the case (12 - 1 liter bottles) which lasted the 7 day cruise. It beats paying $5 per bottle on the ship.

I hope this helps. We're sailing the Getaway in October and we're driving to Key West for a couple of days before our cruise and then spending the night before our cruise in South Beach (we want to have dinner at Joe's Stone Crab again)!

We did a similar scenario to your October cruise. 3 nights in key west (artist house on Fleming - just gorgeous!) then Hampton inn the night before our cruise.

Next trip we are staying one night in Miami before cruise and then off to cocoa beach and space coast for few days after.

Love it