Canadians flying from FLL

LHT28

I notice people mention the long lines for security at FLL

Just wonder if flying to Canada post cruise what your experience was like?

We usually fly from Miami & the line is very short for check in/security less than 15 min

Thanks

Lyn

We usually fly from Miami & the line is very short for check in/security less than 15 min

Thanks

Lyn

Yes the can be lines can be long even for Canadian flights. All security is done by wings.

Thanks

Lyn

I have flown out of Fll twice in the past year. Once the lines were long and it took about an hour to get through but the other time I was through in 15 minutes. I guess as with anything else it just depends. I think if you get to the airport 2 hours before your flight you should be ok.

Edited by Marie51

If you are flying Air Canada, that terminal is also the Delta terminal and on weekends/busy cruise days it's an absolute zoo. We got there at 945 am and were not checked in before 1230. On the good news front, they do start yelling and pulling people out if they are in danger of missing their flight. This was simply for check in. Repeat for security ...

If you are flying Air Canada, that terminal is also the Delta terminal and on weekends/busy cruise days it's an absolute zoo. We got there at 945 am and were not checked in before 1230. On the good news front, they do start yelling and pulling people out if they are in danger of missing their flight. This was simply for check in. Repeat for security ...

:eek: YIKES

We are on Westjet for noon flight

Guess we will get off the ship ASAP & head to check in/ security

Thanks

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

West jet is a different terminal so I can't comment in that. We are trying west jet for the first time later this year, and partly because of the chaos we experienced in February.

Yes Terminal 1 ..fingers crossed it will not be chaos

In future I will stick with AC out of Miami :D

We are trying WS to Montreal in a few weeks will see if they are any better/worse than AC ;)

Lyn

Going out on a limb here...

Have any of you Canadians ever looked into the NEXUS program?

It could be a big help at security in FLL.

nope

we only go to the USA 1-2 times a year

We have a nexus card. It's of no help when checking in at airline counter. Nor for airport security. It's for customs purposes. We did get TSA pre clearance, which basically means we don't have to remove our shoes or belts. There was a dedicated line at security for pre cleared but in the chaos it was everyone for themselves.

We have a nexus card. It's of no help when checking in at airline counter. Nor for airport security. It's for customs purposes. We did get TSA pre clearance, which basically means we don't have to remove our shoes or belts. There was a dedicated line at security for pre cleared but in the chaos it was everyone for themselves.

Not always true. Very useful at some airports for security. Including FLL.

We have had Nexus for 7 years. Some airlines allow you to enter your Nexus # when you make your reservation. Based on this, it is possible (not guaranteed) to get TSA pre-cleared. This puts you in a special line, you do not need to remove shoes, jacket or take 3-1-1 out of carry on bag, plus laptops can stay in bag. This line is always much shorter and moves way faster.

Even at YYZ (Toronto), traveling Westjet there was a shorter line through security for those that had Nexus.

This card has been so useful over the years that we've had it.

West jet is a different terminal so I can't comment in that. We are trying west jet for the first time later this year, and partly because of the chaos we experienced in February.

Westjet is our airline of choice. Followed closely by Alaska and Air North.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Not always true. Very useful at some airports for security. Including FLL.

We have had Nexus for 7 years. Some airlines allow you to enter your Nexus # when you make your reservation. Based on this, it is possible (not guaranteed) to get TSA pre-cleared. This puts you in a special line, you do not need to remove shoes, jacket or take 3-1-1 out of carry on bag, plus laptops can stay in bag. This line is always much shorter and moves way faster.

Even at YYZ (Toronto), traveling Westjet there was a shorter line through security for those that had Nexus.

This card has been so useful over the years that we've had it.

We saw the pre clearance line in LAX once. It was slower and longer than the regular line.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Yes Terminal 1 ..fingers crossed it will not be chaos

In future I will stick with AC out of Miami :D

We are trying WS to Montreal in a few weeks will see if they are any better/worse than AC ;)

Lyn

How far from the border are you? For us it's about the same distance to Toronto as it is to Buffalo. We used to fly out of Toronto untl we discovered how much easier and cheaper Buffalo is. The parking is cheaper, flights are cheaper and you go through immigration as you enter the states, so the flight is then a domestic flight. The first time we flew out of Buffalo it was $200 lower each than what we priced out for Toronto. That's $800 less for the 4 of us, which makes a huge difference. Our airline of choice has been Southwest and we have been very pleased with them. 2 free checked bags is only one of the reasons.

How far from the border are you? For us it's about the same distance to Toronto as it is to Buffalo.

We are north of Toronto

Most flights I found from BUF are connecting flights that is a non starter for us ;)

Edited by LHT28

We are north of Toronto

Most flights I found from BUF are connecting flights that is a non starter for us ;)

We always book directly on Southwest's website. We have always gotten direct non-stop flights to Fll from Buf on Southwest. Usually I can get nonstop back as well. Twice we have had to connect and haven't had any issues. Again, I've only experienced Southwest, so can't speak regarding other airlines. For us it makes perfect sense to fly out of Buffalo.

From north of Toronto, you really have to work out what time and inconvenience is worth to you to drive all the way to Buffalo, when you are going to drive right by YYZ on the way. Flights from Toronto arrive domestically in the US as well, since you clear immigration at Toronto before the flight, so that's a wash with clearing at the bridge. It's a no brainer when you are equal drive time to either airport (we are similar distance between Detroit and Toronto and almost always pick Detroit), but when you are right near YYZ, it's a tough call.

From north of Toronto, you really have to work out what time and inconvenience is worth to you to drive all the way to Buffalo, when you are going to drive right by YYZ on the way. Flights from Toronto arrive domestically in the US as well, since you clear immigration at Toronto before the flight, so that's a wash with clearing at the bridge. It's a no brainer when you are equal drive time to either airport (we are similar distance between Detroit and Toronto and almost always pick Detroit), but when you are right near YYZ, it's a tough call.

No brainer for me

We fly from YYZ

Driving 3-4 hr in winter to BUF would be a train wreck

If I lived in Niagara region I might choose BUF if there were no connections :D

At this stage in our life I take convenience over $$

People have to do what works best for them

Have you bought your tickets yet? Southwest prices come out May 14 for Nov- Jan.

I am looking for Dec 24-Jan 2. I am waiting to see what Southwest prices are before deciding between flying from YYZ or BUF. From Southwest past flights they have an very early non stop to FLL and a late non stop from FLL. Even with the 2-3 hour drive, hotel with parking, free baggage, free change fee, it would be cheaper for more than 1 person flying out of BUF.

If you're cruising out of FLL you will be fine. Coming from POM may be a little tighter but as long as you're on the road to FLL by 9 or so, you would still have time. FLL is almost always a zoo but the lines usually move along at a decent pace. Walking into terminal 1 and seeing the line of people for security stretch beyond the rental car counters is a bit daunting.

In January you couldn't even tell which line was which. They had people in the security line who thought they were in the line for the ticket counter and vice versa. It was a real mess. Airport employees were practically yelling at confused older people for being in the wrong line. Very poorly organized IMO. Despite all of that, we were at the gate in probably 20 minutes.

Have you bought your tickets yet? Southwest prices come out May 14 for Nov- Jan.

Just out of curiosity I did a check between SW & AC for same date in Oct

SW on nonstop flights BUF to FLL $1812 for 2

plus hotel & 3-4 hrs drive time

AC on nonstop flights YYZ to FLL $1378 for 2

then add $100 r/t to check bags

1 hr drive time

It is not always a better deal to fly from BUF

Edited by LHT28

Just out of curiosity I did a check between SW & AC for same date in Oct

SW on nonstop flights BUF to FLL $1812 for 2

plus hotel & 3-4 hrs drive time

AC on nonstop flights YYZ to FLL $1378 for 2

then add $100 r/t to check bags

1 hr drive time

It is not always a better deal to fly from BUF

I checked dates in Oct for our time-

AC - non stop YYZ-FLL $615 CDN/pp

plus $25 per check bag

20 mins drive

Parking

SW - non stop BUF- FLL $294 US/pp. (with rate of exchange under $400 CDN/pp)

2 Free check bag

2-3 hours depending on weather

Parking