Mediterranean Greek Isles - needs some tip/advice on excursions to take

Is there any one out there that has taken this trip or perhaps visited any of these countries? If you have any tips on excursions & places to see I would appreciate it. (Right now on RCCL I'm unable to view any of their excursions because I am booked for June 2016 & it doesn't go through until next year) I always sailed to the Caribbean ( just got off of Quantum) this is our first trip to the Mediterranean. Right now we are quite overwhelmed! Thank you. :)

Mediterranean Greek Isles (Royal Caribbean Inter.)

Leaving from Barcelona, Spain, on the Brilliance of the Seas

• Barcelona, Spain

• Monte Carlo (Cannes), France
  • Florence/Pisa (La Spezia), Italy
  • Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy
  • Athens (Piraeus), Greece

• Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey
  • Santorini, Greece
  • Valletta, Malta

Is there any one out there that has taken this trip or perhaps visited any of these countries? If you have any tips on excursions & places to see I would appreciate it. (Right now on RCCL I'm unable to view any of their excursions because I am booked for June 2016 & it doesn't go through until next year) I always sailed to the Caribbean ( just got off of Quantum) this is our first trip to the Mediterranean. Right now we are quite overwhelmed! Thank you. :)

Mediterranean Greek Isles (Royal Caribbean Inter.)

Leaving from Barcelona, Spain, on the Brilliance of the Seas

• Barcelona, Spain

• Monte Carlo (Cannes), France
  • Florence/Pisa (La Spezia), Italy
  • Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy
  • Athens (Piraeus), Greece

• Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey
  • Santorini, Greece
  • Valletta, Malta

I was in several of these ports last July.

Florence and Rome: we booked with Rome in Limo. For Florence, we did the Tower of Pisa and Vinci; I highly recommend AGAINST going to Vinci (wasn't worth it.) For Rome, we booked the Catacombs tour, but didn't end up actually going to the Catacombs. (This was basically our choice--we wanted to do the Coliseum underground/3rd level tour, which was FANTASTIC but took a long time, so we didn't make it to the Catacombs.)

For Ephesus, we booked with Ephesus Tours Best. We went to Priene in the morning (VERY highly recommended, if you can manage some climbing; it was our favorite stop on the whole trip) and Ephesus/Terrace Houses in the afternoon.

We did not regret doing the non-ship tours at all. Our tablemates at dinner did all ship tours, and from what they said, we saw a lot more than they did, and we were very comfortable with our groups.

Be sure to look at the port-specific boards; I got so much information there. Also, check in with your roll call--either you can get people to join your tours, or you can join someone else's.

Kusadasi, we booked a half day tour to Ephesus including the terrace houses and the House of the Virgin Mary. They linked us with others on the ship and we went on a minibus. After the tour (which did NOT take us to a carpet shop at our request) the bus dropped us near the bazaar while they took others back to the ship

Santorini, we picked up a trip on the dockside - went along the coast on a boat to a small dock where a bus was waiting to take us up to Oia. We had free time there ( a choice of bus times back) and were advised where/ what times to get the same bus back to Thira. We wandered round Thira before making our own way down to the tender pier by funicular

Rome, we've been a few times so now catch the local train from Civitavecchia to Roma San Pietro ( that journey is about 20 minutes shorter than going all the way to Roma Termini) From there it's a short walk to the Vatican from where you can pick up the HOHO or get a taxi to other sites

We used Rome in Limo in Florence and Rome. They made the tours terrific! What a wonderful time. We also used them on the Amalfi coast. I can recommend them highly!

Santorini is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. When you dock, you choose your way to get to the top of the island, either by cable car or donkey. We rented a car and saw the whole island. Even got to sit on a black sand beach for a bit. Search for Virtual Rain. He has written Santorini DIY. He has beautiful pictures and wonderful tips which really helped in planning our day

If you have any tips on excursions & places to see I would appreciate it.

Full day review of Malta here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44354005&highlight=malta#post44354005

Ephesus... definitely go to the ruins (incl. the Terrace Houses) with a tour... amazing

Santorini... another must is Oia. An excursion is not needed thus saving you big time $$$. Simply google the bus station in Fira (the city that you dock in way up on the hill). The bus station is only a 10 minute walk through the streets, 4-5 blocks from the tram that takes you from the tender pier and up the hill. A 45-50min bus ride will take you to and from Oia, one of the most iconic cities in Greece. Google images of Oia and you will recognize it in a second by the many photos you have seen. You will LOVE spending the whole day there without having to follow a guide or be pressured or herded.

Edited by Hoopster95

I had just had hip replacement surgery when we went on our cruise (6 weeks on!) and did some of the same ports. In Rome we did HOHO and it was good. Ephesus is wonderful and we did a tour with Ephesus Shuttle Private Day Tours. Our tour guide was wonderful and if you check Tripadvisor you'll see that they get glowing reviews. We shared with two other couples off the ship. This tour is highly recommended. Have a great cruise!

We used them when we were there on Splendour. Absolutely the best! A pleasure to deal with and had an incredibly thorough, enjoyable and comfortable tour.

Check tripadvisor and Ports of call board for their reviews.

I was in several of these ports last July.

Florence and Rome: we booked with Rome in Limo. For Florence, we did the Tower of Pisa and Vinci; I highly recommend AGAINST going to Vinci (wasn't worth it.) For Rome, we booked the Catacombs tour, but didn't end up actually going to the Catacombs. (This was basically our choice--we wanted to do the Coliseum underground/3rd level tour, which was FANTASTIC but took a long time, so we didn't make it to the Catacombs.)

For Ephesus, we booked with Ephesus Tours Best. We went to Priene in the morning (VERY highly recommended, if you can manage some climbing; it was our favorite stop on the whole trip) and Ephesus/Terrace Houses in the afternoon.

We did not regret doing the non-ship tours at all. Our tablemates at dinner did all ship tours, and from what they said, we saw a lot more than they did, and we were very comfortable with our groups.

Be sure to look at the port-specific boards; I got so much information there. Also, check in with your roll call--either you can get people to join your tours, or you can join someone else's.

Thank you so very much. I am new to Cruise Critic. where do I find "port-specific boards"? Do you mean on here at Cruise Critic?

Thank you for sharing.

Thank you so very much. I am new to Cruise Critic. where do I find "port-specific boards"? Do you mean on here at Cruise Critic?

Pls. see the link below, from there scroll down -- you'll find "Italy ports", "France ports", etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Santorini - I recommend taking at the dock the excursion that takes you by boat and then bus to Oia, then by bus to Thira.

There is a thread about the boat to Oia which questions whether it is still running....

I saw it. There was a question mark about this whole operation also when I cruised last year. We docked, there they were. You can't book ahead anyway, and "you'll always have the cable car, the donkeys, and the bus from Thira to Oia".:)

Personally, I wouldn't take a local bus anywhere -- it is so HOT in Santorini, and meandering around Thira looking for the bus, and waiting in the scorching sun for it is not a good idea :(

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Pinkroses..with regard to Rome in Limo would u suggest going in a mini bus for 8 or larger? Im trying to figure out the lira into US dollars but I am having a problem with the decimal points I tried using the on-line calulator and it said about $77.00 US dlrs per person. Is that about it?? TKU

We used Rome in Limo in Florence and Rome. They made the tours terrific! What a wonderful time. We also used them on the Amalfi coast. I can recommend them highly!

Santorini is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. When you dock, you choose your way to get to the top of the island, either by cable car or donkey. We rented a car and saw the whole island. Even got to sit on a black sand beach for a bit. Search for Virtual Rain. He has written Santorini DIY. He has beautiful pictures and wonderful tips which really helped in planning our day

So you would recommend taking the cable car. We can just purchase a ticket on that day we dock and take the cable car? tku

I saw it. There was a question mark about this whole operation also when I cruised last year. We docked, there they were. You can't book ahead anyway, and "you'll always have the cable car, the donkeys, and the bus from Thira to Oia".:)

Personally, I wouldn't take a local bus anywhere -- it is so HOT in Santorini, and meandering around Thira looking for the bus, and waiting in the scorching sun for it is not a good idea :(

Thank you Pinkroses..with regard to Rome in Limo would u suggest going in a mini bus for 8 or larger? Im trying to figure out the lira into US dollars but I am having a problem with the decimal points I tried using the on-line calulator and it said about $77.00 US dlrs per person. Is that about it?? TKU

It depends on the size of your group. You can email them and Janey will get back to you answering all questions and give you prices. There were just four of us, my DH and two young adult children. My husband is a tall man. The options were a Mercedes sedan or Mercedes van. Janey suggested the van for comfort We chose the van for just us and we were glad we did. These guides are not just tour guides, but love their country. They live in the cities. On the Amalfi coast we chose the sedan as the kids were on a ship excursion climbing Mt Vesuvius and touring Pompeii. I did a review on here about Rome in Limo. I remember it was pricey maybe $500-$600 per day BUT I figured it was a trip of a lifetime because our kids are growing up. Our son was studying in Madrid for the semester so we met him at the end of his studies. If you haven't already, be sure to find the review by Middle Aged Drama a Queen on her Mediterrean cruise. I got lots of tips from her. Good luck!

So you would recommend taking the cable car. We can just purchase a ticket on that day we dock and take the cable car? tku

Yes, you can buy the ticket there for the cable cars. I think we might have been able to purchase them on ship but not exactly sure. You can rent av car for not much at Tony's rental which is within walking distance from the top of the cable car. These people treated us like family, asked where we were planning on going to be sure we had a wonderful day. And we did!

No more lira in Italy been Euros for a long time now.

• 3 weeks later...

Hoopster

Good evening and thank you for your response

I was hoping that you can help me further,. Can you give me the name of the tour people that you used for the Ephesus, the ruins (incl. the Terrace Houses) please.

Also did you use the same tour people for Athens?

Tks so much

thank you

By chance did you also stop at Monte Carlo ( Cannes) France and what tour people would you suggest to use please?

BTW we are going to book with Rome by limo when we go next year.

Thank you so much you have been so kind.

@dazzlingred- We just did Rome and Florence (LaSpezia) on our own, using public transportation. In Florence went to the Leaning Tower and of course the young adult kids said if we were going there we were climbing it! It was a unique experience. In Rome we hit the top sites even though we were told it would be impossible! We didn't spend long at any one place but that suits our family fine!

If you need any info on how to DIY I will try to give you some tips.

We were a family of 5 adults trying to do this trip on a budget and yet see alot. Most tours would have cost at the minimum 500e (which was close to $700 US) not counting all the cost of admissions. Meaning there would have been days that would have cost close to $1200.

We will be heading to Greece in October, but Athens will be the only port that is the same.

Edited by tidygirl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...