Video of Sun Rescue At Sea

EyeSeaEwe

Nice

My son took that. It was actually the 2nd of two video shots he got. Just imagine how bad a country must be if nine people will cram onto that thing and set out to sea in order to leave. It kind of puts an entire new perspective on the things we all site here and complain about from time to time.

Any more details about where they were from? Or where they were rescued?

Rochelle

Nine Cubans. We picked them up on our first sea day and the first port (Roatan) gave them asylum. From what I heard two of them passed away the first night on the ship unfortunately.

Nine Cubans. We picked them up on our first sea day and the first port (Roatan) gave them asylum. From what I heard two of them passed away the first night on the ship unfortunately.

Such a shame and I agree with you 100% about how desperate they must have felt to put themselves in that situation just on the hopes of starting a new life somewhere.

May those who passed rest in peace and the best of luck to those starting over in Honduras.

Rochelle

Always nice to see good comments about saving life at sea. Good work to those who took and shared pictures, video, and to the crew who executed the life saving rescue.

When I was part of a ship crew years ago we picked up some fishermen who messed up in their fuel calculations etc...fortunately no injuries and they were only 12 - 18 hours late getting home, but all alive with their boat.

As per one of the NCL Sun officers:

The ship's officers were alerted by a passenger who happened to be on deck and spotted the craft - basically a piece of plywood fastened to two big styrofoam floats.

The 9 people were on the raft for 13 days and that one of them (obviously a woman) was pregnant.

They were coming from Cuba and supposedly heading to Key West.

Unfortunately they were heading 180 degrees AWAY from where they wanted to go.