FTTF on the Fantasy? Do we "need" it???

CruiseMom87

CARNIVAL’S FASTER TO THE FUN PACKAGE:

Here's what it includes:

(Note: VIFP Club Diamond & Platinum members do not need to purchase this package as these and other benefits are included as part of your VIFP Club status.)

Priority Check-in

Bypass lines and have exclusive security screening lanes for initial embarkation at onset of cruise.

Guaranteed Stateroom

Your stateroom will be ready as soon as you board, so you can relax or freshen up for the fun you're about to have.

Express Luggage

Your luggage will be expedited to your stateroom so you can unpack and get settled in for a great vacation!

Guest Services

You'll have a dedicated phone number and line at Guest Services so you can quickly have your questions answered.

Dining Reservations

Priority Main Dining Room and Specialty Restaurant reservations (excluding Your Time Dining).

Priority Tender Boarding

We hope you take advantage of Carnival's Excursions. If you choose to explore the destination on your own, you will have the option to choose a priority tender from the ship to shore.

Debarkation

We're always sad to see you go. But when your cruise is over, you may choose an early or late debarkation time upon arrival to your homeport.

No, you don't need it. I'm sure even FTTF's strongest advocates would agree you don't need it.

Do you want it? You'll get a lot of opinions either way. I've never had trouble being on the ship by lunchtime without it, so I'm not a big fan. But others think it's well worth it.

This is our first cruise. We are traveling in two cabins with my husband, two kids 5 and 8, my Mil and My SIl. What exactly does it do? Do we need it?

its your first cruise-- and 2 cabins will cost you a few cents under 100.00

get to the pier early-- about 10:30 /11am. Check in and wait for boarding.

Carry only necessary items. Give everything else to the porters. you can get cabin access about 1:30

The Fantasy is not as big as a lot of the newer ships so it doesn't take as long to load or unload. Not as many people in line at guest services either. My thought is it wouldn't be worth $100 to shorten those lines.

Edited by Miller_KC

No, you don't need it. I'm sure even FTTF's strongest advocates would agree you don't need it.

Do you want it? You'll get a lot of opinions either way. I've never had trouble being on the ship by lunchtime without it, so I'm not a big fan. But others think it's well worth it.

I'm with you on this. I see no use to ever get it

Carnival usually starts boarding around 11:30. Cabins don't open til about 1:30. Many will get an email stating not to arrive before 1.

We've discovered the best time to get to port is around noon. Zones have been cleared and the pax who follow the email haven't shown up yet.

If you're not in a super rush to get on ship, then no.

We've never gotten it, we just show up, checkin and walk on. If you arrive after the all boarding, then normally not much of a long wait.

Our room has always been ready by the time we're on ship. In your carry on, pack what you need for that night-a shower, and change of clothes, your pj's and any valuables. after NOT getting our bags till the second afternoon, we learned the hard way!

Same with getting off the ship, we wait till after the everyone can leave now call, then at some point after walk off, no issues, no long waiting in lines.

This is our first cruise. We are traveling in two cabins with my husband, two kids 5 and 8, my Mil and My SIl. What exactly does it do? Do we need it?

Even though I'd never pay for it, I do enjoy the related benefits I get for being platinum, mostly being able to drop off our carryon stuff before exploring the ship. But again, I'd never pay for that convenience in any normal circumstance.

Looking at your signature, there are no Tender ports on your Aug 31 Fantasy cruise so you would get no FTTF benefit for the port stops.

Agree FTTF best benefit is when you have tender ports of call. Send the money on something else.

Limoguy,

Good grief, you really dislike fttf! You constantly let it be known. Where's your picket sign? Give it a rest already..

:eek:

I will always state my opinion when people ask.

Dont read it next time :)

Edited by limoguy1

Need it? Nope. No way. We were on board Fantasy last year by 11:30 without FTTF. How much earlier could one expect? We boarded right along with the wedding party and the FTTF people. And if you have no tender ports, there is another benefit of FTTF you will not use. So unless you are anticipating multiple visits to guest services and the idea of having to wait 5 minutes to speak to someone just kills you, I do not see any advantage to purchasing FTTF.

We buy it whenever it is available. I like getting cozy with the Platinums and bugging them that we get on the same time they do for only $50 while they paid thousands to earn the perk...:)

But really, we do get it just incase there are long lines when we do arrive at the port. You never know.

While you don't "need" it, with two young kids you might want it just for being able to get into your room immediately upon embarkment. Your room will be ready and you can dump everything you are carrying on. Your luggage will be there earlier too and you can get unpacked and be ready for sail away pretty quickly.

You have to decide if the money is worth the perks. We also like to get it because we drive to port. While we sure don't want to leave the ship on the final day, we would rather be one of the first group out so we can get back on the road at a reasonable time. So, it is worth it to us each sailing.

It does seem for two cabins that's a lot of money for the convenience you are getting.

Our first time on the Fantasy they didn't have it yet - and DB forgot his phone at security so I sat surrounded by all our stupid carryons the first 45 minutes we were on board while he went back to get it. So next time I GOT it just so we could get to the cabin and dump our stuff. We had wine, our nonalcoholic beverages, electronics we didn't want to trust to the porters and being OCD a change of clothes, a bathing suit to take advantage of the hot tub right away...and I love getting to the ship early to explore (although second time we knew our way around) We just enjoy everything still kind of empty - like the buffet lines :-). But on that second trip we also had a tender port so it was completely worth it.

Would it make sense for you to get just one FTTF, get the kids on board (it was nice to just be waved up to the front of the line once we made it through security), and then have a cabin everyone can leave their stuff in?

Then again maybe someone wants to sit on deck and watch the stuff with drink in hand for those couple of hours til the cabin is ready. That's not a bad way to start a cruise if someone is willing to wait on them :-)

Hope that helps!

Edited by Bobblefrog

When we went back in May, everyone told me the same thing, "we didn't really need it.."

Well, for us, it was a God-sin.. The ship didn't clear embarking until after 12:30.. When we got to finally park, take the bus over, get through security, and then stand in line, well the lines were completely backed up and I was sooo thankful for FttF..

We went and dumped everything at the room (all our electronics) and I put away all of our docs in the safe. I was reading through the FunTimes and remembered that we needed to get extra key cards. My husband directed me to the line that was running through the barriers, all the way down through the art gallery and back down the ship, from people waiting at the Guest Service desk. I told him, "I got this" and went over to the empty space for FttF/Plat/Diamond cruisers. The gentleman that was waiting on a guest right by us had just finished and closed his area to come wait on us. Everyone started yelling... Well, I got our cards and everyone started saying how unfair it was because they had waited over an hour to get up there and I just walked up and got served.. Can I say, there was some okay cruisers? One lady's camera got shattered because she packed it in her luggage and wanted something done because she didn't have insurance. But, there was 8 other couples that had their bags in hand and they were all requesting room changes and Guest Services was not allowing any changes. We had one lady ask us if we could switch rooms because she didn't know why she didn't get an OV, when she paid for an inside-room because the cruise line always bumped her and she didn't get bumped and "since you are new cruisers, you wouldn't mind if we took your room?" I told the lady were the gangplank was and that she needed to seriously get her head checked, if she thought that we would give up our room, for her..

Last time on the Fantasy we had a Grand Suite, so I did not need it. This time, we only got OV and I got FTTF for the first time ever. I don't mind waiting in line, but I did like the fact the cabin will be ready. Even in the GS we had to pull our bags to the Serenity Deck and wait ( not really a big deal, but still would be nice to dump bags and forget about checking the room availability). I thought 50 bucks was a steal just for that.

Have a great cruise!

do you need it? Absolutely not. would I get it again? absolutely yes!! I just got off the fantasy today and it was nice to be the first off the ship at 7:20am and on the road by 7:35 . It was nice as well to skip the line on embarking day, it saved us at least 1 hour. I thought I was at the port early enough, I got there at 11:00am and it was already a long long line to park. Took about an hour to unload and park Then about 45 mins of standing in line and waiting for bus to take us to the boat....once past security then the FTTF kicks in, that's when I skipped about 300 people in line that I say saved about an hour. I got on ship about 1:10 and yes the room was ready. Next time I'll arrive at 10am! I'm booked on Sunshine next may and will definitely buy the faster to the fun pass again!!

Edited by David148