VIFP Water

lhenry2

I was unhappy about this when I heard about it.

We drink the water on the ship and so I thought it was not a perk to get bottles of water.

To my surprise we really liked having those 2 liters(one for DH and one for me) in the cabin!

It does taste better than the ship's water and it was quite handy! It lasts longer than the one drink we use to get during Sea day brunch!!

The whole point of the free drink was to get people to eat Brunch in the MDR to increase utilization of the MDR and reduce demand on Lido. I guess too many were just getting the free drink and taking it elsewhere. Or maybe the enough people were eating brunch and the promotion no longer was needed.

In any event a gift is still a gift.

Our cruise last month was the first since they replaced the drink coupon with the gift. The free water wasn't in our room when we boarded, and not knowing any different, assumed that the tall bottles that are usually there were free for us. Wrong! We were charged for that bottle, and the free ones showed up during the evening turn-down service.

That is how it was for our cruise in February as well. But really can't please everyone... if they chilled it some would not like that. I would have stuck it in the ice bucket if I needed it cold. I don't personally care for any water except for Zephyrhills, so we brought it home. I think they will come in handy on our cruise next week as our kids will be with us so we will take them off at port. As far as giving folks a choice for the free drink or the water, I'm pretty sure the vast majority would choose the drink... the cost for Carnival is much greater on the drink- that is why it is so restrictive for those of us who do still get it. (Only available in MDR during sea day brunch..) They are really hoping that it is not used. This past cruise I thought I had it figured out as I planned our day to be in the MDR just prior to closing and I was going to hold the coupon until we were finished. I told the bar staff that when they came by. He returned a few moments later and informed me that the MDR bar would be closing soon and if I wanted to get my drink I had to order it then... sigh... So I ordered it and asked for an empty glass. I poured it off of the ice and took it with me until later then added ice in my room. It was an awful lot of trouble to have the drink when I wanted it...

I'm all for being cheap. And I don't mean just frugal, but flat out cheap!

But you have to draw the line somewhere. :)

I think it's a bit cheap, but I don't drink, and I was always buying the water, because I don't want to drag all that stuff on board. So this works for me. But our "free" water is what? What is the size? Smaller than the bottle in the cabin? Tasty? Brand name, and yes water has to be cold for me to drink. I want ice, and I do take my meds with it, so I am interested in more info please.

According to the VIFP program red and above members receive - Complimentary 1 liter bottle of water (Delivered to stateroom on all sailings)

Is it one liter bottle per sailing or each day?

In March on the Glory in our room were 4 bottles (we're red) each with a tag with our names on it welcoming us back. It was 4 bottles for 4 people returning for that sail only, not per day.

According to the VIFP program red and above members receive - Complimentary 1 liter bottle of water (Delivered to stateroom on all sailings)

Is it one liter bottle per sailing or each day?

One 1 liter bottle per person, per sailing. Thank god it's not per day because we'd never drink that much.

Last time, we didn't even drink the ones they gave us. We left them in the cabin for the next person or whatever the steward does with them if you don't use them. I think that 1 liter is WAY way too big to carry comfortably ANYWHERE, even in our backpack on excursions. There are 3 of us, so 3 Liters of water which would be pretty heavy. D:

I think it's a bit cheap, but I don't drink, and I was always buying the water, because I don't want to drag all that stuff on board. So this works for me. But our "free" water is what? What is the size? Smaller than the bottle in the cabin? Tasty? Brand name, and yes water has to be cold for me to drink. I want ice, and I do take my meds with it, so I am interested in more info please.

The brand we received was Crystal Geyser. It was a 1L bottle, which was half the size as the 2L bottles that are for sale in the cabins. Tasty is a matter of preference, but we buy that brand when it's on sale at home so we enjoyed it. Then again, we love the ship's water and drink it at every meal.

If you prefer ice with your water, just ask your stateroom steward for an ice bucket.

We got ours on our second full sailing day and it came in handy when we wanted to take our daily medication at night.

We are very easy to please. We are very happy with anything that is given to me free. It really doesn't matter what's it worth, free is free.

Absolutely! I didn't get anything free on the first 9 cruises except the Past Guest Party. I didn't stop cruising, or continue for that matter, based on what I might get free eventually.

thats good to know. We never used those liter water bottles since it was like $4.50 each.... crazy

The $4.50 chubby bottles are 1 1/2 litres.

The free one is a tall thin 1 litre bottle with a complimentary card on it.

On my 14 day Pride Mar. repositioning cruise we still got the free drink at brunch coupon if you are platinum anyway, not sure about other levels.

The platinum gift was a chess and checker set. If you did not want it guest services exchanged it for a yervis tumbler or toiletry bag.

Edited by lettienets

The brand we received was Crystal Geyser. It was a 1L bottle, which was half the size as the 2L bottles that are for sale in the cabins. Tasty is a matter of preference, but we buy that brand when it's on sale at home so we enjoyed it. Then again, we love the ship's water and drink it at every meal.

If you prefer ice with your water, just ask your stateroom steward for an ice bucket.

On the Miracle, we also got Crystal Geyser. IIRC the larger water bottles for sale in the cabin was in green plastic.

I believe you could use the drink coupon and order it without alcohol, that's why I think it's a downgrade. :) I think the best way to make everyone happy is to let you choose, that way everyone wins!

Non drinker who sees it as a downgrade. Did enjoy my fruity frozen non alcoholic drinks. Don't enjoy a big clunky bottle vs my own refillable water bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On what some call a 20 cent bottle of water - that bottle of water may have cost Carnival the sale of a $4.50 bottle of water.

When you receive a "perk" it is the savings to the customer. Water cost $0.20 a bottle, and a free drink cost maybe $1.00 per customer. So Carnival saves $0.80 per customer.

Cost to the customer, could be $4.50 for a water, or $10.00 for a drink. So the perceived value of the gift, is still considerably lower. What also makes the gift lower, is that many people would not buy water, since water is still available free.

Often times, the perceived value is better than the gift. Some people say they don't drink. That's fine, but you still received a $10.00 gift, instead of a $4.50 gift. Regardless of whether you use it or not, it is now perceived as getting less for loyalty.

Other cruise lines let you have a "free" drink anytime you wanted it with no restrictions. Carnival gave it only during a certain period of time, and restricted their gift. So what is the perception here? I know what I see, but what do you see? Is this a good marketing gift? Give a gift and restrict it?

My last cruise on anther line, I did not get my free drink. I had a beverage package. However, I still know, I got the gift. However the good thing is that I also received other gifts, some of which I used. It's called loyality gifts, and a perceived value a company places on you as a repeat guest.