Best Ketchican Excursion

LuvtheBeach10

Snorkeling in Ketikan....world class reefs...and how many of your friends ever went in the water in Alaksa....and believe me, you will be warm...they provide all th right gear and it was wonderful...

where and how can u norkle in Ketchikan... i would like to

where and how can u norkle in Ketchikan... i would like to

I booked the snorkel tour through Princess. We were only in port for 3-4 hours, so didn't look into an independent tour.

As much as I loved doing the snorkel tour, for experienced snorkelers, it's a bit confining since you have to stay with the group. I'm used to snorkeling on my own, and wandering off to see things of interest. That said, it was a great experience.

coco33 - with a wet suit, a trickle of water seeps in through the zipper - it feels cool, not really cold. then your body heat warms the water between you and the wet suit. so you are actually wet, but rather warm. The only exposed part of your skin is your face - the parts between the hood, face mask, and snorkel. Because of the thick wet suit, I was hot and welcomed the cool water on my face :-)

The Red Onion is in Skagway and is a very good place to eat. Every time we are in Skagway we make it a point to go there for a least a drink. It was once a bordello during the gold rush era. It is quite quaint and there is a museum upstairs that has "cribs". Another great place for food is at the end of town on the right side of main street. I don't remember the name but the fish and chips are rememberable!!

That sounds like fun to see! After the long train/motor coach ride we hopefully will have time to catch a drink and look around before we board the ship. Thanks again for the info!

I booked the snorkel tour through Princess. We were only in port for 3-4 hours, so didn't look into an independent tour.

As much as I loved doing the snorkel tour, for experienced snorkelers, it's a bit confining since you have to stay with the group. I'm used to snorkeling on my own, and wandering off to see things of interest. That said, it was a great experience.

coco33 - with a wet suit, a trickle of water seeps in through the zipper - it feels cool, not really cold. then your body heat warms the water between you and the wet suit. so you are actually wet, but rather warm. The only exposed part of your skin is your face - the parts between the hood, face mask, and snorkel. Because of the thick wet suit, I was hot and welcomed the cool water on my face :-)

I have never been to Alaska and certainly not snorkeled there. But i have snorkeled a lot in the Caribbean.. I love it.. We have done the sting ray thing to..

Is the sea life a lot different there in Alaska.. are there more fish or less or what? Just curious. Getting my BF to snorkel in Alaska might be a hard thing to do but it sounds like i would love it.. Right now I am working on getting him to Kayak.. He is afraid the water will be too cold and he will get wet..

He keeps saying see the ice in the water that it is freezing

I know my favorite thig is going to be the otters.. they are so cute..

The sea life is different. I had only been snorkeling in warm water places before. There are several different kinds of brightly colored star fish, and yellow kelp. The other fish were not that interesting. We were in shallow water so there weren't any big fish. It was cloudy with a little rain the day I went, so the visibility wasn't great. I thought it was a terrific experience seeing the kelp, star fish, and then bragging rights that I'd been snorkeling in Alaska.

I was hesitant about doing the snorkeling and googled snorkeling in Ketchikan and searched the CC Alaska board. The pictures people posted convinced me I wanted to try it, and I'm really glad I did.

So I am assuming your face gets wet, while the rest of the body is dry? thanks for the response by the way.

ahhhh no. It is a "wet" suit. You get wet. There will be a small amount of water between you and the suit on the inside, your body heats the water and the suit is insulation. Up in the cold water it will be a thick suit and sort of bulky if you have never used one before (I own 3 for scuba diving).

A dry suit is one where you stay dry (thus the name) and you wear regular cloths under it.

An alternative to getting in the water and snorkeling, especially in Ketchikan- at low tide, a whole bunch of sea life is viewable, just by walking along the marina. Even under the docks you will see plenty of stuff under the docks. ;)