First cruise of the Alaska season - May 2-9

Guess some of us more used to eating in upscale restaurants compared to others.

Thanks for the ad hominem condescension. Makes posting on CC such a joy and why in 5 years on CC I've made less than 160 posts.

Edited by TheSecondSister

Thanks for the ad hominem condescension. Makes posting on CC such a joy and why in 5 years on CC I've made less than 160 posts.

Some here can be snarky- I just ignore them. Have enjoyed all of your posts and following your adventures on your cruise! Overall the good outweigh the few bad on here.

Sounds like you had an off night in the PG. We've been lucky and have never had a bad meal in any of them. I was told it is patterned after the Metropolitan Grill in Seattle- one of our favorites (Met grill uses the same beef). Good luck getting out of there for $29 a person though (unless you have just soup and salad) :)

I recommend putting your feeling and your experience on your comment card. If you already completed it use the "talk to us" on HAL's site.

Hopefully on your next cruise they will invite you back to try the PG again.

I don't see that statement as condescension, just merely a statement.

It certainly is condescending. It basically says that "if you, like me, dined at upscale restaurants on a regular basis then you might appreciate the Pinnacle."

As we say at the school I teach at, "Is this helpful or hurtful?"

Think before you post!

Laurie

Lisa-Ann

Sorry about this post, which is surely sounds ad hominem to me.

Please take no heed and keep posting. It really hurts the board when people like you, who post excellent, informative, fun blogs and threads, don't post often for such reasons!

All your postings are hugely appreciated!

Sounds like you had an off night in the PG. We've been lucky and have never had a bad meal in any of them. I was told it is patterned after the Metropolitan Grill in Seattle- one of our favorites (Met grill uses the same beef). Good luck getting out of there for $29 a person though (unless you have just soup and salad)

The Met Grill is one of my favorites too. Occasionally, hubby and I will have a weekend getaway into Seattle and I don't have any trouble convincing him to eat there. :D. But not even soup and salad will get you out of there for under $30. Not that I ever limit myself to soup & salad when we go. ;)

Just wanted to post my final thoughts about our Westerdam cruise. From start to finish, it was terrific, as those of you who have read my blog know.

The Westerdam is a lovely ship; turning a corner and running into a lovely or whimsical piece of art makes roaming the ship almost like a treasure hunt. She was well maintained and clean. Showing her age a teeny bit (if you're looking for nits to pick), but still elegant.

The staff - to a man (and woman), were all polite, friendly, and helpful. Our cabin stewards, who must possess a 6th sense because we were never able to catch them cleaning our cabin though it was always spotless. Our wine steward at dinner, who had a knack for appearing just in time to refill our wine glasses. Our dining room stewards, who by the 2nd night had already figured out I like cheese for dessert. Clifford in the Pinnacle Grill who we'd met on previous cruises made having lunch there seem like a reunion. The hundreds of other behind-the-scene crew members who have my thanks for making this cruise so special.

The cuisine on board was wonderful throughout our cruise, with the sole exception of one dinner at the Pinnacle Grill, (breakfast, lunch and the special meals there were great). Everyone's entitled to an off day. The Sip-Savor-Sail events were amazing. I'm going to be keeping an eye out for other Sip-Savor-Sail cruises!

The entertainment - BB King Blues Band was so very talented. The crew show, always fun. But walking the promenade, camera at the ready, whether morning, noon or night, is my favorite past time.

Glacier Bay - wow, just wow. Crisp air, turquoise water, birds, seals, sea lions, glaciers, nature at it's awe-inspiring best. Everyone should see this at least once.

The ports - oh did we have fun on port days. Even when our small boat tour in Juneau was cancelled due to 6' seas (small boat, big wave - not a good combination), it just gave us a little more time to enjoy the ship, which felt almost empty enough to be a private yacht. A very big private yacht ;)

In short, it was a cruise that'll be hard to beat in the future. And why yes, we did put a future cruise deposit down. Because we'll have to keep trying until we do. :D