First cruise of the Alaska season - May 2-9

I see you are "local". Did you park at the terminal? If so, are the rates the same as last year?

Also a favor- if you get into the PG would like to know if Clifford will be on board in September. One of our favorite servers at HAL :-)

Edited by frankc98376

We've been told that the Westerdam is testing out the dock procedure in Sitka. The dock is several years old, located at Halibut Point Marina at the Old Sitka Dock. Called the Old Sitka Dock because the original Tlingit village was here. The facility has primarily been used by smaller/luxury cruise lines such as Regent and Oceania. This is the first time HAL has used the dock, and if it goes well, they'll continue. No idea if other ships will be docking or how long HAL intends to continue the trial.

The shuttle into town is a school bus, but it's free. It's run by the Port of Sitka and there's one every 15 minutes. Takes 10+ minutes to get into town. There is a terminal building with wi-fi, gift shop and restrooms. Our HAL excursion came right to the dock to pick us up, and dropped us off in town. There is a golf cart that will run you up and down the pier if you have mobility issues, but you do need to be able to get in and out of the school bus. Cell phone reception is pretty poor, at least on the ship and immediate vicinity.

So far the process has been very efficient. I'll post pics on the blog later tonight.

Thanks so much for all the good info. We get on as you get off. So I will take hubbie off notice for me calling him from Sikta. Ours is the 3 sister cruise.

Looks like we (Westerdam) will still be tendering, as well as the May 9th sailing. We will be in Sitka June 3rd and Oceania Regatta is scheduled at the dock.

As others have mentioned, I have no problem tendering in Sitka with the beautiful scenery:)

Edited by WNcruiser

Awesome blog, my Snohomish County neighbors! How fortunate that you are having good weather on the first cruise of the season. I'll probably be doing the last one -- saying a tearful goodbye to dear Statendam.

Edited by Av8rix

I see you are "local". Did you park at the terminal? If so, are the rates the same as last year?

Also a favor- if you get into the PG would like to know if Clifford will be on board in September. One of our favorite servers at HAL :-)

We had Clifford during our Sailaway cruise. I'm pretty sure he said that he (and Franko, his brother from Nicaragua:D) are both finished contracts in July. The two of them should always be together, breakfast time was hilarious with them serving.

We had Clifford during our Sailaway cruise. I'm pretty sure he said that he (and Franko, his brother from Nicaragua:D) are both finished contracts in July. The two of them should always be together, breakfast time was hilarious with them serving.

Agree - they were a riot. Really enjoyed them.

I think your date is correct as Franco said the same to us.

Hi Frankc;

We took a car service to the terminal (Already There Town Car Service - thank you Krazy Kruizers; you mentioned this company years ago, and we've been using them successfully ever since). My husband will pick us up, so I can't give you info on parking rates, sorry.

Clifford told us today that he would be going home in September at the end of this Alaska season.

Awesome blog, my Snohomish County neighbors! How fortunate that you are having good weather on the first cruise of the season. I'll probably be doing the last one -- saying a tearful goodbye to dear Statendam.

I couldn't ask for better weather - even in Ketchikan, it was great; it wasn't raining, which for Ketchikan is great ;)

Hope you are as fortunate in September!

i Just wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed reading your blog this week. All the pictures (especially the food), menus and information have been wonderful! I am sailing with my dad on May 30th on the same boat and can't wait. Thank you again so much! I think you are getting us all excited for our upcoming cruises this summer!

Thanks for the link on "Classic Tours" in Ketchikan. I hope you and Karin had a great time.

How was the Sea going down to Victoria. I check the Ogden Point camera and did not see the Westerdam. I know the Noordam will not get there until 9 tonight due to rough seas between San Diego and Victoria B. C. The problem with 7 day cruises are they are over too quickly.

Himself

Great blog from a neighbor in Snohomish county :)

Oh, you're a SnoCo resident also? I'm in Everett. Been following your posts and would appreciate it if you'd contact me. I have questions. But if you don't communicate with folks outside this forum, that's OK. No hard feelings.

Thanks in advance

n4686a at outlook dot com

Thanks for the link on "Classic Tours" in Ketchikan. I hope you and Karin had a great time.

How was the Sea going down to Victoria. I check the Ogden Point camera and did not see the Westerdam. I know the Noordam will not get there until 9 tonight due to rough seas between San Diego and Victoria B. C. The problem with 7 day cruises are they are over too quickly.

Himself

Hi Father,

The sea was flat calm all the way from Ketchikan. It's been great the whole trip. We have been so blessed by the sunny weather! The Noordam made it in, though not sure when. She was there as we left Victoria at 11:45pm. And yes, 7 days is Waaaay too short!

Great blog from a neighbor in Snohomish county :)

Thanks for the pics! You're giving me the itch to go back again soon for round 5

Howdy neighbor.Glad you're enjoying the blog. And yes, it is time to head on back to the sea again :)

i Just wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed reading your blog this week. All the pictures (especially the food), menus and information have been wonderful! I am sailing with my dad on May 30th on the same boat and can't wait. Thank you again so much! I think you are getting us all excited for our upcoming cruises this summer!

Thank you - so glad that doing something I enjoy is enjoyed by others. Hope you have a terrific cruise!

Loved your blog.

Thank you for taking the time to do it.

You are so welcome. I blog so my sister and I can relive our travels; to let our non-cruising spouses know where we are; and because I like to take and share pictures. The fact that others enjoy it too is just icing on the cake.

In trying to tidy up after my cruise, I thought I'd scan and post the On Location guides (PDF format). If you're interested you can find them here:

https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/2015/05/10/on-location-guides/

Lisa-Ann:

Thank you for the Blog and thank you for taking the time to download the location guides.

I See Karin did some posting on the cc. I hope she stays back on the cc. I always enjoyed her posts.

Nice to meet you Both (The Second Sister). Love your blog and photos!

Sitka- Did you hear about the bear that was shot the eve before arriving in the woods (totem area & a tour was here), but the bear was wandering around injured? Well, I made it out of the woods and walked alone. Heard about this from traveling partner who was informed on her bus ride into Sitka, the bus I was on did not mention it. We had the best week ever and crew were the best!!

Hope you are enjoying being home and your dog loves you again. What did you get your dog? Sandipalms

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the blog, photos and location guides. It was a joy to read and really got me excited to board Westerdam in a couple of weeks. I can only hope for as good of weather as you enjoyed.

Steve